Gibson Brands Forums

I'M BACK! - with a couple of questions....Didja Miss Me?

wedgeSG

Been a while since I posted; (and I still pop in ever so often), but I need some insight from the faithful here.

But first a little backstory, Since I finished the VJ - (version two, Marshall mods, 125ESE through a single RamRodded cab and a Hellatone loaded 212 closed back cab). I've played through nothing else, no need to. Recently I was home alone for a change...(my VJ's at the office), and took the opportunity to play a bit at home. Running through my Marshall AVT 20 was not at all doing it for me. Threw the E-H English Muff'n in there and eventually got an acceptable tone out of it. The next day I traded it in at GC for a used VJ cab and put a used VJ head in layaway...problem nearly solved. Just gotta pay out the head and we have a neat home set-up. Now the questions - I know this has been covered countless times but how can I tell if I have a version 3 head by external cues only. I'm opening it up as soon as I get it home; but planning ahead now if the board happens to be green. I can have them check the serial # for me and I think the on/off switch is without markings. Q2- how can I determine if this has been a factory referb, and if it is should I worry? Q3- assuming it is Version 3 are there really any "must-do's" I should be planning on to be happy considering my happiness with my set-up at work? Q4- What is the group's consensus on the LadyLuck speaker? and finally... what the heck has happened to the Valve Senior, has there been any recent information as to when we'll see it or it's price and specifications?

Sorry for the long post and numerous questions, but I've been outta the loop for a while and have really missed you guys....Hope everybody here has a wonderful Holiday Season....

Wedgie

how can I tell if I have a version 3 head by external cues only

V3 has a 14 digit S/N. Earlier versions are 8 digit.

how can I determine if this has been a factory referb

Why would that matter?

assuming it is Version 3 are there really any "must-do's

Probably not anything that's really "must do," though, personally, I'd still work on refining the tone. Based upon what you're happy with now, I'd say you'll probably end up doing Marshall mods. No real need for an ESE, unless you want to go octal.

What is the group's consensus on the LadyLuck speaker?

Most seem to like them. Having not played through one myself, I'd say that you could certainly to better and worse, but most who've used them and others have favorable comments about it.

what the heck has happened to the Valve Senior

Great question...Epiphone really screwed the pooch on this one, imo. I'm sure that they THOUGHT they'd have it available by spring or summer...or surely by fall, but obviously, they screwed something up along the way, and in the process, they lost a significant buzz opportunity. When this was first announced, people were extremely excited about it. By now, it seems to have lost its luster, and I'd be willing to bet that, when it finally IS made available, the sales numbers will be significantly smaller than they could've been, had there been a reasonable release after initial announcement.

Hope everybody here has a wonderful Holiday Season....

Back atcha!

Archived