Gibson Brands Forums

Big Amp, Small Cabinet.

Hey everyone, this is a rather generic question. My friend wants to get rid of his peavey 5150 to get a new amp. I want it really badly, but dont have enough right now for both the amp and a new cabinet. The only cabinet I have is my Vjr 1x12 and I just feel like I probally shouldnt run it through that, im not really sure why. Is running a large head like that ok to run through a single speaker? I guess im just used to seeing big heads going into 4x12s.

Hey everyone' date=' this is a rather generic question. My friend wants to get rid of his peavey 5150 to get a new amp. I want it really badly, but dont have enough right now for both the amp and a new cabinet. The only cabinet I have is my Vjr 1x12 and I just feel like I probally shouldnt run it through that, im not really sure why. Is running a large head like that ok to run through a single speaker? I guess im just used to seeing big heads going into 4x12s.[/quote']

I believe the speaker in the VJ cab is rated for 70 watts. The 5150 head is a 100-120watt amp. The general rule of thumb I use for matching amps to speakers is 2x the power rating for speakers to be safe.

You can use the VJ cab with the 5150 amp, but you can't turn it up too loud or you risk blowing the speaker.

tung

Archived