Gibson Brands Forums

A Little Background, Please

Just Strum

I posted this on another forum and it is interesting to read how people got started, where they put themselves on the experience ladder, and anything else they might want to add. The purpose is so people can see who is on their level and makes it easier to relate to some of the posts. I always found it interesting to hear someone say "hey, I just started 6 months ago" it let's me know I'm not alone. It is also nice to know if they've been playing for 10 years, then I know that they've gone through a lot and have some experience behind their posts.

This may have or have not been done before, but there are a lot of new members that you don't know about and there are older members that the new ones have no idea of the background.

I classify myself as a beginner since I've only been playing for two years and have not had the time to immerse myself in the required practice needed to accelerate my ability to where I feel it should be. I am one that will probably never be happy with any level I reach and I recognize that even the best have to continue to practice and learn.

My first guitar (not counting one I had when I was about 10), was a Squier Bullet that I purchased just to see if I would stick with this (it's a hobby and nothing more), within a month the company I work for gave me some money to spend as I wished and I purchased an Epi G400. The reason for the purchase was because as a kid my friend had a red Gibson SG and I can remember staring at it every time he opened the case.

After the G400, I went on a buying and selling binge that included mostly acoustics for the first year. After my first year I received a Dot as a gift and that brought me back to electric and again the buying and selling started.

The Beatles started my interest in music, but to this day it is Townsend and Clapton that started my interest and keep my interest in guitar.

I have no technical experience when it comes to amps and guitars, but I am about to embark on my first mod (other than cosmetic mods) with my Washburn Idol prototype where I am replacing the pups and pots.

Now, for those that choose to add to this thread, this is each individuals view of where they are as it applies to experience. It is their view of their equipment. It is their view of why they play guitar and it is their view of anything else they want to note as long as it applies to them.

DON'T come into MY HOUSE (thread) and create any kind of debate. This is just an opportunity to say who you are and what contributed to who you are when it comes to guitars.

I too classify myself as a beginner. I've been playing at this thing for about 2.5 years this time around. I played at it as a teenager, but then life, wife, and kids took over and for 25 years all I did was look and wonder at what might have been. Now that I have the time, I am really trying to get into it again. But I don't practice like I should, nor do I believe that I know how, or what to practice for maximum benefit. Peter Frampton started me on my guitar path, but I am trying to learn the blues style because I love the sound of BB, Freddie, and Albert.

Got my first good guitar in 74(still have it) and have been at it ever since. The most important thing IMHO is to pratice every day even if you don't feel like it. Its easy to say ah i'll pratice twice as long tomorrow, but you've got to get the habit going strong. You'll never get as good as you like but you'll get good enough. Good Luck. Now about the Epi vs gibson...Ah nevermind. Stan.

Been playing for nearly 14 years. I was the runt of the litter at primary school (albeit a quite popular runt), so I decided to play guitar (Oasis helped too). I think I'd be doing myself a little disservice saying i'm a beginner, I can indeed play some very complex stuff but an expert I am not. All my playing friends and family who hear me play regularly think I'm a brilliant guitarist (they do tell me on a semi regular basis) and that is great to hear, as I love to impress them. But I had the same thing at school, I was the best blah blah blah and I began to get lazy....didn't think I needed to work at it as hard. I only woke out of that three years ago and I now work as hard at it as I did 12 years ago. I want to get better everyday but I don't think a musician should rest on his laurels, there is always more to learn, no one can know everything, though that is the ultimate aim.

I've been playing for about 10 years now, although I still class myself as a beginner really. I played strictly rhythm for nearly all of that 10 years (including a stint in a pub band) but I've very recently started to learn to play lead... I employed the services of a tutor with a blues background about 3 months back. Hence why I see myself as a beginner.

My first guitar was a cheap Encore strat copy. I think I kept it for about 3 months before buying my S+P acoustic which I still have.

Started playing electric/taking lessons when I was, I dunno .... 10 ish, perhaps ('68 ?? '69 ?) .... first guitar was a Harmony H15 Bobkat electric (something like that.....apparently Harmony has been resurrected and is re-releasing that old line of guits...might have to get me a new one for old times sake...)....had 2 of the world's ugliest single coils on it (I think singles) and had an Ampeg tube amp (25w, I think........amp crapped out, guitar crapped out after a few decades of playing - had a cheap no-name acoustic in the meantime that I smashed during a rather extreme party ;) ) My wife bought me an Epi AJ-18SNA 'bout 10 years ago to get me back into playing, has been a great affordable acoustic, and finally, early this year, got my Epi LP for my 50th b-day present to myself, and it's all coming back to me big-time. I still know many many chords, but have forgotten most theory I learned, so I basically play by ear, anymore, yet many folks think I can play fairly well. Well, yeah, if it's 3 or 4 chord rock or blues. I play for fun at home, jam with some friends, and donate my playing services (both acoustic and electric) to playing at my "liberal" church (definitely not your "normal" church music[-x ) Now, just saving my pennies for a good tube amp, as all I have is a cheap ss practice amp and a budget digital multi-fx pedal unit ..... but, DANG, it's still fun !!!!!! .....and am hankering for a Wildkat :-s

It started in 1965, during the Beatles peak of popularity, I was 13 y.o. We went in visit to a cousin and he had an accoustic guitar he was'nt playing anymore cause he had bought a drum set. My uncle then sell the guitar to my father for me for $10. I slept with it a few nights...lolll

I started learning the hard way, even playing with my thumb, because my fingers where dammaged, playing to much....

At school, we were a couple having guitars ( beatlemania creates that ) so each other we were giving us tips and how to do chords and everything that was possible to learn. STAN say it all...you have to practice everyday, but that was'nt hard to motivate my self, I founded a passion of playing guitar and the more I was practicing the better I was and I was able to play entire Beatles songs...I was so proud.

To shorter the story, my parents bought me (the same year ) an electric guitar and a small amp for Christmas. They bought it from Sears catalog for about $49.00 for the set. ( remember we were in 65 ) It was representing big money for my parents, but I was so passion about guitar, they tought I would become a rock star ( parent's expectations are sometimmes over rated Lolll...I never been a real star..)

So I played and played and played so much...I finally was able to play barre chords...In those years, playing barre chords, you were a pro...lolll

After reunating a few friends, we had our first rock band...I was 15, right in the beginng of the peace and love era...

We practiced for almost a year to finally obtained our first gig...A Friday night school dance in the Church basement. I think they were giving us $20.( not each...for the band ) to play the dance. For the older ones, you will remember this...the sono we used for singing, was the church PA system plugged into those speakers on the basement's polls...lolll It was a desaster...we could'nt ear us sing at all...but we did a good show anyway.

Believe me, we where so proud on the monday morning going back to school and being recognize by everyone....that was my feeling of being a rock star. From there, I had play in many bands, on & off for the years I grow up my family, but never quit playing guitar, even if it was only playing aroud a fire camp for friends and family.

40 years later , I still gig 15 to 20 times a year ,that's all we want...(we're getting older...loll )

I'm mainly using my Epi Les Paul Ultra, a standard Telecaster as back up, a Fender Blues Junior amp, 5 boss effect pedals and here we go.

I'm in the same band since 3 years now. Our name is PROPULSION and we are a cover band, playing classic rock and a few old discos to make people moves....Pay a visit to our website ( the link under my signature ) you can see our repertoire.

Sorry, it's in French...we are in Quebec, but pictures are universal.

Now i'm 56 yo, and starting to think of retiring from playing in band... It's start to be hard to go to bed at 3 in the morning and do all my week at work...but I can't take the decision...I'm pushing that moment as far it will be possible...I might do like Les Paul and play till I'll be 90 y.o...lolll

Thanks "JUSTSTRUM" to have bring back all those good souvenirs to my memory...

Been playng the drums for 34 years.

Acoustic guitar for about 15.

Electric for a little over 2 years.

Never had a lesson. Self taught on drums and guitar. Would consider myself an accomplished player on the drums.

Due to the last 2 years of daily practice I believe I am an intermeditate player on the guitar. Not a beginner. But certainly not an expert or accomplished player as of yet. I feel growth in my guitar skills almost daily. I think having a background in drumming has helped me a lot, in many ways, with my guitar playing/learning.

Since this is about guitars, I wont bring my trumpet/brass and keyboard experience into the equation. But in short I've played these two instruments since 6 years old and studied privately on each up until my sophomore year in college.

As for guitar I've been playing seriously from the age 12 till 25 years old, I started playing when I was 8 years old. So in total I've been playing for 37 years.

I've had probably owned over 80 guitars in my life time, (all different brand types) and at one point was sponsored by the Moser Guitar Company when our band Slam N Groove was signed to Atlantic Records in 1991, and then Carvin threw some equipment at me when I toured with Warrant for half of their American tour when their guitarist went down with a liver issue.

Back in the late 80's I was in a band called DeAllen, and we landed a Management deal from Scottie Brothers. This was probably the best time of my life as a pro musician. Because it was probably the last time we/I had 40% control over what we did musically. I was also named BAM Magazine Hollywood Strip Guitarist of the Year from 1986 to 1987.

But in having all this experience, I learn something new everyday, and during my life as a musician I've never used my experience to think I'm better just because someone is just learning or whatever... The key is to try and have fun if possible.

But in having all this experience' date=' I learn something new everyday, and during my life as a musician I've never used my experience to think I'm better just because someone is just learning or whatever... The key is to try and have fun if possible.

[/quote']

You and the people here like you have a lot to offer the ones that are beginners (like me) and intermediates. Speaking for the many beginners that visit this forum, I think it would be safe to say we would welcome advice as it relates to practice and literature you may have found useful.

Personally I think people at your level sometimes lose sight of what you can offer those starting out. That applies to playing, buying, repairs/mods. Reading your post here, you obviously have a handle on where you are - nice post.

I started lessons around age 5 till I was about 8, and then moved to drums, and a little bit of piano as I got older. At about age 12-13, Nirvana was very popular and their songs were easy to play on guitar, so it inspired me to dig out my Grandpa's 66 Fender Musicmaster and Gibson 20-watt amp that he gave to me. I bought a fuzz pedal and hooked it up and made all kinds of glorious noise until the amp blew up. Knowing nothing about collectible amplifiers I yanked the tubes, speaker and knobs and threw out the rest! As I progressed on guitar I got a Fender American Standard Strat in 1996. In high school I started playing bass in the jazz band, where I discovered the pentatonic "blues" scales, which opened me up to the world of soloing. My jazz experience led me to the blues and blues-oriented classic rock where I was inspired by Johnnie Johnson, Clapton, SRV, Hendrix, Trower, Zeppelin, the Stones - many of the same bands that inspired all of us to pick up the axe.

I've played drums, bass, and guitar in several original and cover bands of various genres (everything from alternative to classic rock to 80's hard rock) throughout the years and currently play blues and R&B covers in small bars on the weekends. And I love it! All told I've been playing guitar seriously for about 15 years. I don't consider myself an expert because I'm constantly listening and learning from other guitarists that I meet and listen to. I consider myself to always be a student of the guitar. Currently I'm trying my hand at slide guitar. As many of you have already discovered, it's MUCH harder than it looks!

For the beginners - find music that inspires you and it will only fuel your desire to learn more and get better. Most people are surprised to find that I was really into Nirvana when I was younger but it led me to discover many different genres of music. And when you get frustrated trying to learn a new lick, put your guitar down for a while and come back to it when you've cleared your head. I still do this while learning new stuff and it still works!

My Partner and her nephew was the cause of my chosen path. I'm 45 and until recently hadn't anticipated playing the guitar! In fact, I hadn't any compulsion to learn or otherwise, then, it was announced that her nephew had bought an Ibanez JS guitar and was learning to play. We all had been to various music as a family Eagles, Journey, Eagles Tribute Talon, Foriegner, Def Leppard, Scorpions, Cheap Trick and the one band set it all off, a Thin Lizzy Tribute called Black Rose, and these guys rocked! This inspired the nephew to play harder, however the Father (Her Brother) wasn't very encouraging towards him saying that he'll never play if he doesn't practice... I offered to buy a guitar and jam with him even although I couldn't play a note! I was always good at music through school etc could read notes and what not, but now was the time to put my money where my mouth is and try and help out, that was 5 years ago! Since then I managed to play guitar, I still have lessons although I think they're called jam sessions now, and I managed to get in a band that plays covers sort of 70's/80's rock that suits my type of music, I'm not the best by any stretch of my imagination, I play and I'm always learning, even from 14 year olds!! I'm not fussed who I "jam" with ( I was going to say "play with" but with "14 year old" in the same sentence it could have been risky!!!) as long as I'm playing and I'm happy that's what matters and I've gone from 1 guitar to 7 and still get GAS regularly. My record stands at 40 bands in one year, and I have to say I'm getting to be an anorak at this (Nowhere near CB's standard (RESPECT!) ) But I now stand and analyze those that play, I don't criticize as its wrong to do that, but if I can learn summat that makes playing easier, then it works for me and that's all that matters! I'm still classed as a beginner, I'm the oldest in the band, and termed as the "Grand Philosopher" for my "out there" pearls of wisdom (very rare) but I love it, its fun, the younger guys are great natured and have a good banter and show me licks and stuff along the way which adds to the enjoyment of playing!

Keep on Rockin' I say...

Let's see, I'm 57 and I started at 13.. oh boy math is tuff... Ok... 57 - 13.. time the page number. invert the fraction, take the reciprocal of the inverse, then consider that x-y+z as it approaches zero from the left and the area under the curve is... 9? No.. wrong button on the calculator... 44 years.

If I've learned anything in this amount of time it's that there several people that play better than I, but few that have as much fun. Laughter is music, too. If you can't laugh at it you should shouldn't be doing it.

I started on a Sears 6 string acoustic and graduated to my first electric - a Tiesco that I bought in a basket. I reworked it and learned more about being a luthier that I wanted, but that knowledge has served me well. So now only the serious or more complex (we also need to add the laziness factor) go to the shop. I have owned and sold soo many guitars that I've lost track. My beloved Sheri is my go to on most gigs. Then there's my recently purchased AM Strat Deluxe that is causing me to correct several bad habits. I have a couple of others, too but these are the main guns in the arsenal.

If I've learned anything in this amount of time it's that there several people that play better than I' date=' but few that have as much fun. Laughter is music, too. If you can't laugh at it you should shouldn't be doing it. [/quote']

Exactly right...I'm feeling the same way...

I have always loved music and played drums for a few years before finally getting my first electric guitar: a KCC Strat copy. I have now been playing for around two years and have my Epi Les paul Studio. I may not be very good just yet, but I have a great time playing guitar so I have no complaints!

Started lessons at 12 and learned fast, at least for a while. Eventually played in bands in the 60s at small clubs and frat parties. Serially had 3 Gibsons and a couple of loud amps. Sold the electric stuff in the early 70s, in favor of girls and motorcycles, keeping only my Yamaha dread, which only came out occasionally until about a year ago. I decided I wanted to play more and with other people, so I put an ad in Craigslist. Hooked up with Dave in September 2007 and we've been jamming weekly ever since, mostly acoustic. We're about equal in ability overall - Dave's a better lead player, I'm a better harmony singer. Oh - and Dave plays mandolin, too. We're at a point now where we're seriously considering looking for some gigs, paid or otherwise. We'll just need to get a little more serious.

I got a Dot Studio last year and really enjoy it, especially since replacing the stock pickups with Mean 90s, which I did myself. The forums have helped me learn a lot about guitars, mods and repairs - broadens the ownership experience.

Been playing guitar for about 45 years. Piano about 55. Made some money at it....mostly not.

Minimized play for about 20 years. (Raising a family and such,)

The last 10 years I've gotten back into playing.

I don't know as much about guitars as many members here. (setups, mods...etc.).....But.....I am learning fast thanks to the people on this and other forums.

I retired about a year ago. My best adventures lie ahead as I now spend my time playing for fun and teaching my grandkids......(Anybody want to start a band?) I already know Smoke on the Water.

I remember as a little kid, staring at the guys who came to my parent's parties and played guitar.

Gotta read that fast or it leaves the wrong impression! :-)

Bugged my dad to play and finally got a 3/4 sized acoustic when I was 10. Played that thing every day for a

couple of years; until I could justify to my dad getting an electric. Got a ES335 copy and started playing with my buddies in a garage band. We graduated to school dances and played quite a few halls.

Finally eded up playing in a couple of bars; 18 is legal age here; although that didn't bother us much.

Work. Famly. Same ol, same old, stoped playing for 10 years completely.

Finally picked up another acoustic when I was 29. Been playing since. I'm 54 now. Intermediate player by my standards.

You really expect an old fart to remember?

Anyhow, ignoring forgetfulness... been playing guitar 35ish years, doing repairs/modding 30 some years.

Had a few lessons from the "guy" up the street from me Daryl Stuermer (he went on to play guitar with Jean-Luc Ponty and later Phil Collins, nice guy, KILLER guitarist).

Been in a few on and off bands playing weddings and BS gigs, nothing impressive there other than a few great live versions of Johnny B Goode probably.

Done some time in live sound mixing (a REAL PITA, NEVER again) and some involvement with a local company doing installing/designing church/auditorium sound systems.

Have owned far too many guitars to count, but at this point I've sold off the big dollar ones and am down to only 13 guitars now. At this point I rarely plug my electrics in, but rather I usually grab my lowly 1939 Gibson L50 arch top.

I’ll listen to and play anything from Abba to Zappa, Big band to experimental electronic.

But.... in reality my older brother is really the musician in the family; he makes my playing look like a rank moron novice.

The guy has some killer chops, too bad he never uses them for anything other than jamming in his garage.

I'm the humblest egomaniac you'll ever meet.

I've only played for a few years, and I'm not terribly good, but I put myself out there so people have to hear me. I made a record that sounds like crap (with the exception of two songs). I'm working on another one now, and so far, I'm pleased with the sound.

I started with the precursor to the "Stop Dreaming Start Playing" pack... a simple Squier Strat (all the headstock says) with a Squier SP-10 amp... the same model the Starcaster comes with, but with a Squier badge. From there, I bought two nearly-free guitars from eBay. One snapped in half and I re-used for my contribution to a memorial to my guitar-playing friend who died this spring (quite nice-looking, spray-painted white with a Dove-style pickguard). The other was a Backpacker-lookalike that I still have, but won't stay in tune. It's out of tune before I can even tune it.

From there, I got a Fullerton (Music123 brand) dreadnought, which is a very nice guitar, actually. You can buy the Rogue version for about $120, and I recommend it if you need a cheap acoustic.

I bought my Casino in September 2007 (was it really only a year ago?)... followed by the Fender Strat in February, acquired the Gibson in June, and bought the Martin this September.

Toss in piano playing (kind of), bass when I need to, and majoring in percussion, I've done quite a bit in this short time.

Got my first guitar in 1963, a Silvertone acoustic that came with an instruction record. That prompted me to take lessons for a year and a half, where I graduated to a Harmony dual pickup solid body and a TUBE type Harmony amp with a 6" speaker.

Joined my first real band at 15 after jamming around with neighbor kids and people from Junior High. We built a local reputation and stayed busy through the rest of the 60s playing whatever we could book to stay busy. Learning the top 10 records to play covers led to some interesting solo licks to draw from. We did Clapton, Hendrix, Santana, lots of Sam and Dave, James Brown, and other soul tunes.

Got married, stopped playing, divorced and got back into another band that turned out to be one of the best. It was a combination of players from the better local bands who reformed and continued playing. I played on through the 70s and into the mid 80s, got married again and went back to college at night while working the day job I still have after 35 years.

I played from time to time in church settings and now I'm in a contemporary christian band that does an early service once a week. It's just about right. We play occasionally for someone's birthday bash or a wedding reception where classic rock is aqppreciated. All the members come from the classic rock era and we jam when we get the chance. It's the best of both worlds. There's very little equipment to carry and we aren't loading a trailer at 2:00am (grin).

I got a call from the drummer of the band I played in through the 70s and 80s. He's reforming and asked me to play lead guitar. I had to turn him down. I just don't have the energy to do that sort of thing again, even considering that he is in the $3000-$4000 a night range in his booking circles. He is tight with the Doctor, Lawyer, and Indian Chief crowd that pays big bucks for a band that they like. His players will each make $400 to $500 a night. It's tempting.

started learning the guitar last year on father's day (37). my first gitar was a dot studio worn brown. Since then i have tried the self taught path and to some degree have learned very little (time, kids, wife work , and family activities.) Just started lessons this month. Working I, VI,V on the 6th string. having alot of fun now. Also, learned it is nice to have someone to play along with.

On the crazy side, I love guitars. i have 5 and the latest i mod'd myself. Took it in to the local music store to check it with guitar tech and he was very impressed. Gave me tips on better soldering to get a better finish on connections. Believe it or not. Moding has given me a better understanding of the tonal capabilities one can have. The only problem is having the funds to try various electronics and pickups. I even plan on trying to go to a luthier summar camp to get more knowledge guitar building (even though i am years from retirement, i would love to make guitars when i do if not sooner).

I would consider my self above intermediate and have been playing for nearly 5-6 years now. I am a vocalist so I use the guitar to practice myself when not with my band.

I started out when I was at the age of 11 and since then I have completed my Advanced Diploma of Indian Classical Vocals (from INDIA though I'm not of an Indian background) and that too a "Distinction".

right now I have a Jazz-Rock-Bues band here in Australia and perform in Pubs and some clubs. I picked my guitar up out of jealousy i guess. I saw one of my friends play "Hotel California" and I saw every body was like wow and all that.. that day actually made me hold a guitar. I started out by practicing by my self... you know get some copies of the chords and get to know the chords better. I self practiced for about 2 years then I took classes for 3 more years and learned some Jazz and Blues.

My first guitar was a Fina Acoustic Jumbo that was bought in 2004 which I still have and for an electric I had an I-Suzuki (fender style) with Samik as an amp.

I bought an Lp-100 a couple of months ago but soon sold it and got an Epi LP Standard plus.

But then I still consider that I don't know much about Guitars. I'm just 20 and I guess I have a long way to go..

Phew! Err... I've started playing guitar just a few months ago. I'm learning from a dvd course which many critics claim to be one of the best learning tools, aside from a real teacher. Although it has helped me a lot so far, I must admit that the further I go, the more I'm considering getting some real lessons.

I've bought a couple of songbooks with cd's to play along, I've downloaded backingtracks for a couple of songs I'd love to be able to play but can't, yet. Instead of buying an actual amp, I've bought a device to plug my guitar into my pc which not only helps me find the tone that suits me best, but also keeps my family happy because it's not loud. It will also allow me to record my sound, so I can hear myself play back and get a better grip on what bits to improve first.

My avatar shows my first and only guitar which I will NEVER EVER sell.

Archived