Gibson Brands Forums

Questions about modding an Epi LP Ultra II

cegpcola

So I have had my Ultra II for a couple of weeks, and have some areas I would like to mod. I am wondering what thoughts or advise you guys had. Below are the thoughts I have currently.

1) POTs feel a little Cheap (not sure what POTs would work since the POTs are soldered to a Circuit board)

2)Switch feels cheap ( Swap to a Gibson Switch)

3) Pickups are a little Bright, but have great output. (thinking about putting my 490/498 setup from my other LP Special in it, but changing the POTs might solve this, along with capacitor maybe.

I have some other areas that I will mod, but they are more like modding any other LP, but the issues above are questionable because of the electronics in the Ultra II as well as the Hollow body and the role it will play in the tone.

Having my Les Paul Ultra since almost 2 years....never had any problems with the switch or the pots...and believe me..I'm using it a lot....

I'm also very happy with the pick ups sound and quality. I presume it's just a matter of taste... The only mod I did his changed the ugly bronze bell knobs for gold speed knobs... But it did'nt make much of a difference on sound...lollll

Overall I am happy with the sound, but the tone is a little off for my taste. I am dumbfounded by the wiring in this thing. The Pickups actually plug into the printed cuircit board, so they are not like regular pickups, although they could be swapped out with cutting the plugs off of the stockers and solder the new to the plugs. I can live with the tone on it. I am trying to figure out the wiring to see if it is possible to get rid of the printed cuircit board that the pots are soldered to and the Pickups and everything else solder to. This would make modding much easier as it accept normal electronics. The problem is that I have to see what I could do and still keep the Shadow. Gibson states that they do not have a wiring diagram.

Archived