Gibson Brands Forums

New Wilshire owners?

Hidalgo

New member here.

I'm going to get back into playing after a 30-year absence (I'm 54). I made my early living playing locally with a 335 and a '58 LP, (but sold them when I lost interest [-o< ) and did some studio work for 2 well-known bands of the era, but I've undoubtedly forgotten way more than I still know. ;)

I'm pondering the new Wilshire and wondered if anyone owns one of them. and what their experiences and thoughts are? A Les Paul and a 335 are coming "down the road" if I find that I still love it as much as I used to. My primary focus this time around is probably going to be Contemporary Christian and light Blues.

Anyone own one of these things yet and want to offer their thoughts?

Thanks guys!

several of the reviews by some here and other sites is that for the money it is a pretty good guitar. I thought that one guy compared it to a epi sg-400 but at less $.. I like the look of it and wish two things, that it was offered with either mini humbuckers or p-90's and 2nd that it was offered in other colors then the white I have found. Here is a link to another topic on this forum about the Wilshire: wilshire topic

Thanks for the link Kevin.[-o<

I've read reviews in sales sites, but don't put too much stock in them. I've known them to be...well..."manufactured" by the site in some cases. It's far better to see unbiased reviews on a site like this one.

Thanks again for the help.

Hello ! Just Got my Epiphone Wilshire Limited Edition. You can not beat this guitar for 299.00. One of the most comfortable guitars ive played. Action and set up right out of the box was perfect. Tone is quite good compared to any other guitars ive owned. All electronics worked flawlessly. Best buy ive made in quite a while. The only thing they are on back order now until about 1/10/ 09 I wonder what the limited run is on the Wilshire 1000 pieces ?

Who were the bands if u dont mind me asking

I did some tracks in 1971 with Atlanta Rhythm Section at Studio One in Doraville for their 1st album, and did some studio work with Skynyrd on the "Pronounced" album in 1972. Nothing to get excited about...but it was a ton of FUN at the time. ARS was just getting started (they were actually the studio band at the time) and the album was basically pretty bland as far as ARS stuff goes. I didn't make any money to speak of, but we had a lot of fun for several weeks.

it's probably blasphemy around these parts to say so, but I personally think the wilshire is kinda ugly... I guess it's an acquired taste. Is it really all that comfy to play? Doesn't look like it would be

The guitar is super light and a dream to play. As far as being ugly, is the Fender Strat ugly ? I dont thing the Wilshire is as ugly as many other guitars ive viewed

it's probably blasphemy around these parts to say so' date=' but I personally think the wilshire is kinda ugly... I guess it's an acquired taste. Is it really all that comfy to play? Doesn't look like it would be...[/quote']

I'd agree it's unusual, certainly a vintage look.

Hey bro! I have one of these Wilshire reissues... got it last year. I think the little dude is absolutely whOOp@$$!!! It's light weight, plays soooo easy and looks pimp. (Mine is white on white) I understand that it originally came out from Epiphone (at Gibson Kalamazoo) in the late '50s BEFORE the Les Paul double-cut re-boot in '61 which we all know got the name "SG". (I wonder how crazy Angus would have looked sporting that instead). We all have our individual tastes (fetishes), but I've had to help other pro guitarists find one of these rare devils, lest they boost MY baby! And... Jimi played one I hear. No, I won't sell you mine. :-k

-Cap

Archived