Gibson Brands Forums

What's your favorite guitar Christmas song(s)?

andy59

Irving Berlin's "White Christmas" remains my favourite.

I actually like all the colours of Christmas - White, Blue, and Green. I don't know any others. Barenaked Ladies' holiday album is very good, also.

I've learned Blue Christmas and Happy XMas (War Is Over) for this year, but I probably won't be playing them.

My favorite song some do not think of as a Christmas song, Jeff Beck's version of Amazing Graze

Here is my cd's I have been listening to:

1. Merry Axemas, Various artists including Jeff Beck(great version of Amazing Grace), Steve Morse, Satrianai, Vai, Eric Johnson, and others. This one gets heavy playtime by me

2. Merry Axemas Volume two, Various artists including Al Dimeolo, Stu Hamm, Ted Nugent, Robin Trower, Neal Schon and others. Not as much airtime as the first, but still good.

3. Brian Setzer Orchestra, Dig That Crazy Christmas

4.Lynyrd Skynyrd, Christmas Time Again

5. Elvis Presley, Elvis Christmas

6. Frank Sinatra, Under the Mistletoe

7. and for when the kids are around: Christmas with the Chipmunks

8. another for the kids Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer the soundtrack...lol....

Do you guys over the pond get the Xmas songs by '70s glam rockers Slade and Wizard. They're two of the most popular here:

Slade

Wizard

I particularly like the ones by:

Greg Lake

and

Chrissie Hynde

Alan

2000 Miles is a great song by the Pretenders. Chrissie was raised about 20 miles from my house. Great song, great band.

A lot of people don't like my favorite Christmas song, but Little Drummer Boy. A guy over at another forum recorded it on guitar and it just gets me every time. It's one of those songs I just stop what I am doing and listen - I can't explain it.

Guest alanhindle

Helter Skelter and War Pigs=d>

No that's way too heavy for the festive season!

At least you've toned it down with your other choice, War Pigs being a bit more melodic and gentle!#-o

No that's way too heavy for the festive season!

At least you've toned it down with your other choice' date=' War Pigs being a bit more melodic and gentle!#-o [/quote']

Ya... I save War Pigs for midnight mass due to its melodic nature:d/

Hey, thanks for the replies. For a beginner like me learning chords and plucking notes reading your favorites that you play is helpful. I can't play "Christmas" by the Who yet, but someday.... Never thought of "War is Over" as a guitar song but after reading the reply I pulled up the tab and gave it a shot. I do really like the chord sequence. I'll have to check out some of the other suggestions as well. Another song I really like is Peace on Earth by U2.

I try to add to my Christmas Music collection a bit each season as I get tired of the

old standard stuff REALLY quickly that's heard seemingly EVERYWHERE you go......so

my list of great Christmas Discs goes like this:

as someone mentioned MERRY AXEMAS - Vol 1 and Vol 2 and I totally agree with the

Jeff Beck pick as well as Joe Perry's Blue Christmas, it don't get much better than these!

last years TWISTED CHRISTMAS by TWISTED SISTER - I couldn't see much anyway that

could be topped this season.... I was wrong

If you haven't picked up the disc mentioned in GuitarWorld magazine do it today!! -

WE WISH YOU A METAL XMAS AND A HEADBANGING NEW YEAR - Alice, Iommi, Dio, Grohl,

Lemmy, Lukather, Lynch, Morse, Kulick, Gibbons, John5, and the list goes on- I think this

will be the grail of Christmas discs for sometime to come

Some other discs that are worth the search if you can find 'em

WE WISH YOU A HAIRY CHRISTMAS - similar to METAL XMAS but in a '80's hair band vein -

with Warrant, LA Guns, Bullet Boys, Faster *****cat not even close to any listed above.

There's a Mojo Nixon disc the name of which escapes me at the moment that is also great:

I've misplaced the dang thing and it's always a must play during the season. Subtle it ain't,

but hilarious especially after too much "eggnog". If I can find the title I'll post it, maybe there's

a Toadliquor fan on here that can fill in this blank?

Here's a request... anybody found a copy of a Robert Plant and the Honeydrippers Christmas

tune that was broadcast on a Christmas episode of Saturday Night Live. This was not on the

Honeydrippers release but maybe somebody has heard it on a CD compilation somewhere?

Hope everybody here has a HappyEpi-Holiday Season and may your tubes and toes be toasty,

your cables free from fray and kink, all your tone be glorious, now and throughout the new year!

Wedgie

I have several favorites, in no particular order.

Christmas eve in Sarijevo (live) - Trans Siberian Orchestra

A Mad Russians Christmas - Trans Siberian Orchestra

Christmas is a comin' - Lightnin' Hopkins

Christmas In Dixie- Alabama

I live 50 miles from Jeff Cook and Randy Owen..........my wife has met, and actually

chatted with Randy, who she says is SUPER nice, (he was eating in a Waffle House she used to work in)

Jeff Cooks "Warehouse Restraunt" in Gadsden Al. was the best "food & Juke" joint in a 100 mile radius @ 1 time.

Archived