Gibson Brands Forums

What's your favorite guitar Christmas song(s)?

andy59

The most popular Christmas song ever written for guitar is without any doubt "Silent Night" (because all they had was a guitar).

Now if Lennon's Happy Christmas wasn't a rip-off from Stewball it might be a contender, so I'll stick to good ole' Slade's Merry X-mas, but only because Bessie's At the Christmas Ball isn't a guitar piece :-

Christmas tends to bring the worst out in songwriters. I've been threatening to write a tasteless Christmas song for years...you know, about how I hate the endless build up on the TV which goes on for months, the fact that a religious festival has been hijacked by the media, the shopping malls and TV stations who brainwash us with endless drivel and try to extract our hard-earned cash in exchange for mind-boggling rubbish! I could add a line or two about screaming and vomitting children...and of course the idiot-brigade who queue up at 5am on Boxing Day for the sales...I could go on!!......Anyone want to collaborate?!!! Chris

Captain Midnight said he thought Silent Night was good on the guitar. Easy song to play, and he's right.

The song was originally played on a guitar by Martin Luther in the 1600's, when the church organ broke down.

Just a lil history lesson guys!

Archived