Gibson Brands Forums

Thats right, im bad!

Gibson CS

Heres an interesting story that happened to me last night.

I was jamming at a friends house last night. Maybe about 20 people or so were there.

As always when I jam, I take my Stevie Ray Vaughan Stratocaster. Beautiful guitar. Without question my favourite Fender.

Its a blues machine, and takes no prisoners.

Since I got my new Les Paul only about a week ago, I took that with me as well.

After we finished for the night, guess which guitar everyone flocked around?

Even those who had never seen my SRV before wanted see the Les Paul close up.

They werent really interested in the Fender. Perhaps a fleeting glance was all it got

as she sat on the stand. I felt very cool!...Im 44 years old and I felt cool!!

It was a nice feeling!

Fellas, do you see the power these beauties carry?

Thanks T...

I knew you of all people would understand!

Rock on brother! We are bonded by age...& Les Pauls

btw...are you an Ace Frehley fan? judging by your avatar.

Yep...Bigtime Frehley / KISS fan. Grew up on KISS, Van Halen (DLR Era) & Motley Crue....which would lead to my three favorite guitarists....

Ace Frehley, Eddie Van Halen & Mick Mars (Best Rock & Roll Name Ever!)

I started back playing guitar about a year & a half ago & have been learning every Frehley lick & solo I can. Started on the first album & I'm still going. I love that style of playing.

I'm an 80's big hair metal head (who now has short hair & a desk job lol). There were so many great guitar players in that era. It's a shame that alot of people over look them because of all the hair & make up.

Rock on!

My whole basement in late 70's early 80's was plastered with Kiss posters.

In fact, Ace Frehley was the reason I wanted to play guitar. He looked so

cool with that Les Paul. I agree with you. Granted, hes not the best lead

guitarist of all time, but he has his following.

I saw Kiss a few times once in 79, and again in 97.

Im 1993 Ace played some tavern gigs in Toronto.

I went, and it was amazing!...I have 2 t-shirts from that tour.

Its a huge Les Paul with 3 pickups....nice.

I have never worn them. I saw Ace after the show.....lets just say

they didnt call the space man for nothing! O:)/

Yep...Bigtime Frehley / KISS fan. Grew up on KISS' date=' Van Halen (DLR Era) & Motley Crue....which would lead to my three favorite guitarists....

Ace Frehley, Eddie Van Halen & Mick Mars (Best Rock & Roll Name Ever!)

I started back playing guitar about a year & a half ago & have been learning every Frehley lick & solo I can. Started on the first album & I'm still going. I love that style of playing.

I'm an 80's big hair metal head (who now has short hair & a desk job lol). There were so many great guitar players in that era. It's a shame that alot of people over look them because of all the hair & make up.

Rock on![/quote']

T, You're my idol!!! My three fav players are Mick Mars, Eddie Van Halen, and Randy Rhoads. Being only sixteen everybody thinks i'm crazy, they're all about gay bands like trivium and avenged sevenfold. Yeah, i admit they have guitar skills, but there's no melodic content. That's why Mars is my number one. There's always a groove to his music that you can't mistake for anyone else.

T' date=' You're my idol!!! My three fav players are Mick Mars, Eddie Van Halen, and Randy Rhoads. Being only sixteen everybody thinks i'm crazy, they're all about gay bands like trivium and avenged sevenfold. Yeah, i admit they have guitar skills, but there's no melodic content. That's why Mars is my number one. There's always a groove to his music that you can't mistake for anyone else.[/quote']

i understand you man.ill be blastin good bands like Led Zep,AC/DC,Ozzy,KISS,Metallica you know.and people just look at me all crazy while dancin to soulja boy.some people know good music and some just don't.

rjay777...

Im sure you know by now that a Stratocaster and a Les Paul are both great guitars.

Both American legends and icons. They wrote the book, everyone else followed.

The Les Paul can do things that a Strat cannot. The Strat on the other side of the coin can do things that the Les Paul cant do.....I mean sound and tone wise of course.

So to compare the two is pointless. To say one would beat the other?

Im sure even the purest Gibson fan would admit that American made Fender guitars in the

right hands ( Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix for example ) sound pretty sweet!

I love them both, and will play no others.

btw...Yes, thats my Les Paul in the avatar.

Whether it be US, mexican, japanese, or indonesian most guitarists (and their bandmates) have seen/played/owned a Strat in one form or another at one time. Believe it or not, most casual players and musicians haven't (although you wouldn't know, talking to the guys around here) owned or played a nice LP Std. When a particularly nice one like yours shows up, it's going to turn some heads.

rjay777...

Im sure you know by now that a Stratocaster and a Les Paul are both great guitars.

Both American legends and icons. They wrote the book' date=' everyone else followed.

The Les Paul can do things that a Strat cannot. The Strat on the other side of the coin can do things that the Les Paul cant do.....I mean sound and tone wise of course.

Im sure even the purest Gibson fan would admit that American made Fender guitars in the

right hands ( Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix for example ) sound pretty sweet!

btw...Yes, thats my Les Paul in the avatar.[/quote']

Well, in reply to your reply.......yep I agree. That's why I have both.:D/

th_P2150003.jpg

Still partial to the LP though. =D>

rjay777...

Both American legends and icons. They wrote the book' date=' everyone else followed.

btw...Yes, thats my Les Paul in the avatar.[/quote']

Well, in reply to your reply.......yep I agree. That's why I have both. hehe

P2150003.jpg

Still partial to the LP though.

=D>/

rj777...very nice. You say your Les Paul is you weapon of choice?

I hear ya bro!

This is my lineup...

The SRV Strat comes with Stevies signature " SRV " on the pickguard.

I love Stevie. In fact hes my favourite blues guitar player, but I felt a little

odd having his initials on the p/g so I installed a plain black one.

The white Stratocaster is when im in my Hendrix mood!....I had Fender Texas Special

Pups put in and had taller frets layed down...very sweet to play.

The Les Paul??...Whats can I say about the Paul that you chaps dont already know!

It truly is my dream guitar.

3Amigos.jpg

T' date=' You're my idol!!! My three fav players are Mick Mars, Eddie Van Halen, and Randy Rhoads. Being only sixteen everybody thinks i'm crazy, they're all about gay bands like trivium and avenged sevenfold. Yeah, i admit they have guitar skills, but there's no melodic content. That's why Mars is my number one. There's always a groove to his music that you can't mistake for anyone else.[/quote']

Yes! I knew I wasn't alone!

Mick Mars...besides having the single greatest rock name of all time is an incredibly underated guitar player. He's got a total "attitude" to his sound that you just can't teach...especially on the first two Motley albums. Too Fast For Love is the bench mark for everything that went down in the 80's....my opinion of course.

Ace, Eddie & Mick are my favorites.....Randy definately top five.

There's so many new bands these days....but they all sound like Nickelback to me....& that's not a good thing.

Anyhoo....Rock on brother!

i understand you man.ill be blastin good bands like Led Zep' date='AC/DC,Ozzy,KISS,Metallica you know.and people just look at me all crazy while dancin to soulja boy.some people know good music and some just don't.[/quote']

They'll probably never "get it" either. You just keep rockin' like Dokken bro. Your tune list looks pretty damn good to me.

OK....Here's my personal top five.

1. Ace Frehley - Ace is the man. Inspitation to so many guitar players. He made me want to play the guitar at my first sight of him.

2. Eddie Van Halen - Revolutionized how guitar is played. He set the benchmark that most still try to reach. His hands have tone like no other.

3. Mick Mars - Loud, rude, agressive guitarist.

4. Angus Young - He's a madman. Wind him up, watch him go...he never stops. Superb!

5. Randy Rhoads - Another ground breaker. A natural born talent who was lost way too soon.

rj777...very nice. You say your Les Paul is you weapon of choice?

I hear ya bro!

This is my lineup...

The SRV Strat comes with Stevies signature " SRV " on the pickguard.

I love Stevie. In fact hes my favourite blues guitar player' date=' but I felt a little

odd having his initials on the p/g so I installed a plain black one.

The white Stratocaster is when im in my Hendrix mood!....I had Fender Texas Special

Pups put in and had taller frets layed down...very sweet to play.

The Les Paul??...Whats can I say about the Paul that you chaps dont already know!

It truly is my dream guitar.

[img']http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c231/Toronto_Ontario/3Amigos.jpg[/img]

Deepblue, very nice taste in fiddles man. Ditto on the SRV strat too. I wouldn't mind scoring one myself and they're excellent players. If I actually played that one out for gigs, I'd probably change the pguard as well. Again, sweet guits!=D>

Nice stable for both of you....especially love that Tobacco Burst you have rjay777 (I'm assuming it's a Tobacco)

Very nice gents.

Thank you T. You guessed right, it's a 2000 LP CLassic Tobacco Burst. I'm willing to trade with deepblue though.=D>

Well...Kinda tough to tell because the cover of that album is so dark...but If I had to guess, I'd say it was his black Les Paul.

Frehley did play a Tobacco Burst quite often back in the early days before going almost completely Heritage Cherry Sunburst with a few others sprinkled in here & there.

Rock on!

Yes! I knew I wasn't alone!

Mick Mars...besides having the single greatest rock name of all time is an incredibly underated guitar player. He's got a total "attitude" to his sound that you just can't teach...especially on the first two Motley albums. Too Fast For Love is the bench mark for everything that went down in the 80's....my opinion of course.

Ace' date=' Eddie & Mick are my favorites.....Randy definately top five.

There's so many new bands these days....but they all sound like Nickelback to me....& that's not a good thing.

Anyhoo....Rock on brother![/quote']

YES!!! Mars is the man, and yeah ace is cool.

My top ten:

1. Mick Mars

2. Randy Rhoads

3. Eddie Van Halen

4. Dimebag Darrell

5. Slash

6. Robbin Crosby

7. Zakk Wylde's old stuff

8. Jimmy Page

9. Billy Gibbons

10. George Lynch

Archived