Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Ebony LP Jr new yesterday fr GC - quality questions

Duffy

This whole discussion is sooooo funny!!! I bought my son an Epi SG Special for his first guitar - bolt-on neck' date=' 2 open-coil "humbuckers", 2 knobs, no pickguard. I actually liked this guitar, as it kinda reminded me of the Gibson SG I had in the early 70's. Well, the pickups kept on falling into the body (I couldn't get them to stay at playing height). Finally, it fell over and the head broke off :-)

I then bought him a Squier Strat, but he didn't really like it that much. He later bought a nice Epi Korina Flying V, which he finally traded in for his present axe, a beautiful Epi Elitist '61 reissue faded SG. This guitar looked and played better (and was possibly built better) than the nearly identical Gibby '61 reissue hanging next to it (for a few hundred dollars more).

It was mentioned earlier that many well-known guitarists started on cheap, junky guitars. You know, some of the greatest old-time blues men and rock'n'roll guitar idols started out playing on guitars made from a cigar box. Don't believe me? Check this out:

http://www.cigarboxguitars.com/museum/Hall_Of_Fame.php

Cheers![/quote']

+1 for bringing that out.. have you noticed the ones who don't have that privilege actually are the ones to reach that height.. they start out slow with a cigar box like you said or with a wood and put some thread around and play that thing.. it satisfies them though they know they don't have the real thing.. and when they do have the real thing they practice so much and so hard as not to let that opportunity get out of their hands.. that's why they are so great.. now look at us we've got everything.. good guitars, good equipments but what are we doing ?? instead of cherishing that opportunity we are whining about what we don't have and what we'd rather have. That's why i guess most of us here couldn't reach that height or won't be able to reach that fame like some of our heroes did. cause we don't respect and cherish what we've got...We have Epiphone now we say na it's crap I want a gibson.. It sounds good.. I think i can play better in a Gibby than in an Epi..this is why we actually can never get there..we've got nothing so called as respect..

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Duffy, I say keep it. You say it plays well and you seem to like it but it just isn't top quality. For $99, keep it as a beater or something to mod and not worry too much about screwing it up. Or it just may end up as something you keep coming back to and picking up and playing.

On the other hand if it is going to break your budget, it might be better to return it and save for a higher end model. I still think it's worth keeping tho.

btw, don't worry too much about the like of MarxBros. Simply a troll or just an internet bully. Not worth anyone's time, just a sad pathetic indiviual who gets his kicks by anonymously making attacks on the internet. Simply trying to make himself feel better by trying to degrade the opinions of others. Every forum seems to have at least one of these characters. Sad really...

SlagJones,

Yeah.

I've been playing it every day for a couple hours and compared it to a few of my other guitars, all way higher priced, and it continues to hold my attention because of its great tone and great playability. It would be a great guitar to take on trips, camping, jam sessions, etc.

Read a lot of other people's reports that like the tone. Most of them replace the tuners. Seems like a lot of them like the stock pup, which I must admit, sounds great. And it's a really great example of what it is, ha ha ha. Hand picked by me. Some of them were definitely not so nice.

Thanks.

You know, you really have to be careful with these forums...you can be very satisfied with your gear, then you get onto a forum and read so much stuff trashing it that you get discouraged and don't want to play anymore. On the other hand, I am getting so jazzed from the Zephyr Blues Deluxe thread [-o< that I'm going to log out and plug that baby into my Valve Standard and do what I am really meant to do...:-k/

Ciao for now,

Frank.

True.

Can anyone tell me which replacement tuners that will fit the Epi LP Jr, new style with one humbucker?

Does GFS carry them?

I want to get the type that have the nut and washer on the top side of the headstock here the post comes up thru. The current tuners have a pressed in grommet type thing.

So, I'm trying to find out what size holes are in the headstock and what tuners will drop in. GFS has a lot of tuners and the locking Wilkinson types look good as well as the gotoh type but I'm not sure which ones will fit and I don't want to drill out the tuner holes if I can avoid it.

Anyone have any experience replacing the tuners on the new style humbucker Epi LP Jr?

Thanks in advance to anyone knowing about this.

Duffy

Winfield, Pa.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually have one of those Squire Tele Custom II's with the two P90s and it is really a nice sounding guitar. Black with black pguard and pups. Cool looking. One could even hang it on the wall if he so chose.

I decided to return the LP Junior and now have a Squire 50's Classic Vibe coming that is really an outstanding guitar. Cost three times as much but is probably more what I want. I have an SX LP special Gibson copy with two good sounding P90s on it in antique burst with set mahogany neck and solid mahogany body, low action, zero buzz and a ROCKING guitar. It's a flat top too.

So after all this I appreciate all the help and advice you guys gave me and won't forget antagonism of the one character or who he is and will be on the lookout for him in the future. I won't tolerate his abuse. Watch him come back with some compulsive distasteful comment.

Anyway, thanks a lot guys. And, the Seymour Duncan "hot rodded" pup set sounds good in a Epi LP std, and the JB in the bridge and '59 in the neck of my Epi Std plus top also sounds incredible. I'm going to leave the great sounding stock pups in my Epi SG copy of a gibson '66 SG, that I bought recently. Sweet trans cherry finished SG with the feel, sound, and playability that we all seek.

Thanks,

Duffy

Winfield, Pa.

Archived