Gibson Brands Forums

My 16 y/o son wants an "SG"

xtek95

But that guitar with those horns looks like the devil's playground! JUST KIDDING !!!

I was at my local guitar shop yesterday and played one of the Epiphone g-310's in red.

For a guitar that costs $250 i thought it was a decent starter electric guitar for him. He's a big AC/DC and

Angus Young fan anyway.

So, his birthday is in Feb and i'm thinking of getting this for him, hopefully it'll be a keeper for him.

Anybody got opinions on this model. I'm looking for value in a starter guitar, not the best of the best.

Thanks.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first guitar was a Gibson SG... My parents purchased me a used one back in 1973 for Christmas (I still have it)... Funny thing is I didn't really start playing it until 1976, but it sure was a nice guitar to learn on.

I'm figuring once I get over my Epiphone honeymoon, I'll pull it back out of the closet and start playing it again

Your son is smart! I have two Epi SGs myself.

In my opinion, you would be better off paying $150 more for a G400. The G400 has a set neck and is better guality guitar than the 310. The G400s were $350 before the holidays, but they always seem to go up in price at this time of year. They may go back down in price soon. Perhaps you could find out somehow. IMHO the G310 is not much better than an SG special, and they cost $179. But I think the jump in quality is much greater when you go to the G400. My 06 G400 is a guitar I will never sell.

If you haven't already done it, I would take him to a store that offers a large selection and let him try some on for size. I had an SG (g400) and liked it, but I felt it was very neck heavy.

If he is a big fan of AC/DC and Angus, I guess the decision is made.

I think it would be a nice gift. Does he have an amp, or is that also on the shopping list?

You might want to shop around for a G400, looks more like Angus's in color.

Tried my brother's G400 over xmas, and was pretty disappointed. I guess my beef is with the SG in general though, not the epiphone model. I've never quite worked out what the unique selling point is, in comparison with, say, a Les Paul.

Tried my brother's G400 over xmas' date=' and was pretty disappointed. I guess my beef is with the SG in general though, not the epiphone model. I've never quite worked out what the unique selling point is, in comparison with, say, a Les Paul.[/quote']

UPPER FRET ACCESS!!!

Yeah, SG400 is looking like the better deal for the long term. I have 2 amps, a Fender Super Champ XD (hybrid tube), and a Vox DA-5. So, i'm thinking i'll let him use the Vox in his room so he'll stay off my SCXD.

Guess i'll tell my local guitar shop to put the G-400 on order so it'll be in by February.

Thanks soooooo much for input guys!

Your son is smart! I have two Epi SGs myself.

In my opinion' date=' you would be better off paying $150 more for a G400. The G400 has a set neck and is better guality guitar than the 310. The G400s were $350 before the holidays, but they always seem to go up in price at this time of year. They may go back down in price soon. Perhaps you could find out somehow. IMHO the G310 is not much better than an SG special, and they cost $179. But I think the jump in quality is much greater when you go to the G400. My 06 G400 is a guitar I will never sell. [/quote']

Damn!! You beat me to that, I have to agree, IF I was a big AC/DC Fan and wanted a guitar that was like Angus then I'd be looking to upgrade to one that was the same as he played. For that few dollars more I'd go the max to the real "Epiphone" deal and get the right guitar. There are two bonuses to this, It give him the drive to emulate his hero and pick up the guitar, secondly if it don't work out and he moves on, you get one cracking little guitar for yourself.

GWAN Y'know you want to!!

It's about what inspires you I guess. If you're going to buy a guitar make sure you buy a decent one or spend some dough in aftermarket parts to make it decent... don't forget that a proper setup will make a huge difference as well!

I can tell you, if that guitar appeals to him it'll give him motivation, the drive to wanna learn more and more and become a better player in time. The gift of music is one that keeps on giving, so don't see it as a waste of money but as an investment!

People here know their Epi SGs, so listen to what they have to say...

Go for the G-400. I have two and they are pretty decent guitars. It is $150 more, but it will be a guitar your son will keep for a good long while, that is if he sticks with guitar. The set neck on the G-400 (G-310 is bolt on) gives more sustain than the G-310. You could also look at the Vintage G-400s. They are $300. They are the same as the regular G-400 except they have a satin finish.

Frankly I spend a bit more and get a G400. Yeah it's another $150 but it's a hell of a lot better guitar.

Especially if you're talking keeper.

+1 and if you can find the Faded/Vintage G-400, compare the sound to that of the prettier regular G-400. I swear they have different pickups in those Vintage G-400s, they sound awesome.

I bought a new 310 as a beater to have at work... I traded it for a trashed G-400. Knew better

than to buy a 310 since I had two 400's at home. My G-400 total is up to five now. By now I'm

sure you've made the only right purchase but I had to chime in on this.....

Wedgie

I agree with everyone who has said that G400s or faded Gibsons or Epis are worth the extra $.

Having said that, if the extra cost is an issue for you, buy secondhand. Harsh reality is that most teenagers who say they want to play guitar give up in less than 6 months; if you buy secondhand at a fair price, any guitar will pretty much hold it's value when he wants to (a) trade up to a better instrument, or (O:) give up!

But that guitar with those horns looks like the devil's playground! JUST KIDDING !!!

I was at my local guitar shop yesterday and played one of the Epiphone g-310's in red.

For a guitar that costs $250 i thought it was a decent starter electric guitar for him. He's a big AC/DC and

Angus Young fan anyway.

So' date=' his birthday is in Feb and i'm thinking of getting this for him, hopefully it'll be a keeper for him.

Anybody got opinions on this model. I'm looking for value in a starter guitar, not the best of the best.

Thanks.[/quote']

If you go the G400 route, with the obligatory "for just a few dollars more..." might also consider the Iommi G400.

It's not the typical starter guitar, but in the long run, might be a better choice.

My thinking is with the hotter Iommi pups, might be able to replicate the AC/DC sound a little closer than the straight 400.

Black only, though.

Two years ago I bought my son the Epi Goth SG and was really surprised with the quality and playability of the guitar. I felt it was alot of guitar for the money and he's still playing it without any problems.

It all boils down to your budget. If you believe that he will stick with playing than get him the best that you can afford. The Gibson faded model is not a bad choice but I believe the better would be picking him up a used Elitist SG . I've owned 2 and both were top notch.

We're not a good crowd to ask, are we?

Key words in the question were "starter" and "value".....he asks about G310, and we start pointing him at G400s and then go on to Goths, Iommis, Elitists, Gibsons....all +$. I still say whatever you pick, buy secondhand for best value.

I agree with everyone who has said that G400s or faded Gibsons or Epis are worth the extra $.

Having said that' date=' if the extra cost is an issue for you, buy secondhand. Harsh reality is that most teenagers who say they want to play guitar give up in less than 6 months; if you buy secondhand at a fair price, any guitar will pretty much hold it's value when he wants to (a) trade up to a better instrument, or (=; give up! [/quote']

That's very practical.

And, not to set off a war between Epiphone and Gibson (I've owned two Epis, currently have three Gibsons, they're both good), but I just bought a Gibson SG Special Faded for $760, and it's terrific. Very aggressive sound, especially in comparison to my 335 and Les Paul, which was just what I wanted. It's light weight, and has an excellent neck, and -- I am told, it's not something I'm interested in -- if you just GOTTA HAVE a gloss finish, you can add that over the existing satin.

I thoroughly checked out SGs on eBay, and there are some decent deals around, BUT a 16-year-old may react a lot more to a new one. Had I found a used one with the nice figure that the one I bought has in the mahogany, I would probably have gone that way.

We're not a good crowd to ask' date=' are we?

Key words in the question were "starter" and "value".....he asks about G310, and we start pointing him at G400s and then go on to Goths, Iommis, Elitists, Gibsons....all +$. I still say whatever you pick, buy secondhand for best value.

[/quote']

lol.... yea. A little experience and GAS are horrible things, aren't they? :-$

back story behind the Iommi thought:

Like OP, I wanted economy first. At the time, the G310 was the price range in which I was looking. But being LH, finding something both in stock and in a reasonable price range was a tall order. Several months (re)searching, nothing in local pawn shops, gibson/baldwin doesn't produce LH models...

But the 310 wasn't available (plus a lot of negativity here about bolt on necks),

the cherry G400s (which is what I really wanted), were 12+ week delivery time (and rumors of being discontinued).

;)

Local shop did have an Iommi, so that ended up being my first.

Was twice what I originally wanted to pay, and I wasn't overly happy about the price tag, but as I learned to play,

I also realized I had a much better instrument than the lower end starters.

That said, to make a case for pure economy and the 310,

I'm finding my Studio to be more flexible (genre-wise) and easier to play, too.

Get the 310 and let the boy deal with his own GAS once he figures out what he really wants/likes...?

Archived