Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BIGCHEESE55

Is my neck cracked?

Well, I've had my Les Paul for awhile now, but recently i noticed that there was a small 2cm crack on the neck of my guitar near the headstock. I'd show a pick but it's impossible to see it in the pic.

The strap did come loose once and it fell on the ground so that is what my have caused it. The thing is, it hasn't given me any problems and there hasn't been any tonal changes in the guitar. So i dunno, it may just be the finish that's cracked.

So should I be worrying?

I can barely see one line and certainly can't make it out as a finish crack or neck crack. The tension of the strings would be holding it in place (or based in the location it appears that way). You could take it into a shop and have them check it. If it was mine (meaning this is not a strong recommendation), I would losen the strings and gently pull back on the headstock to see if it appears to widen (key word - gently). There are others here that are far more expereinced than me that might have a little more professional advice.

If it breaks, my name is Fubar and I can be located in Canada.

See what some others have to say, AS90 might have some additional thought on it.

I was thinking of some very fine steel wool and then buffing it, just to blend it, but again I am not the one to follow for that kind of advice.

If it were mine, I'd take it to a shop and get a professional to check it out for me. It won't cost much for a proper inspection by the right people.

With the utmost respect to Strum, I personally couldn't feel comfortable doing any kind of repair work myself, not knowing the extent of any potential damage. But that's just me... I'm not a Luthier or even a modifier... Strum is more experienced than I am. You have to weigh up your own knowledge and skill. I'd rather pay a few quid / dollars and take it to the man who can.

If it were mine' date=' I'd take it to a shop and get a professional to check it out for me. It won't cost much for a proper inspection by the right people.

With the utmost respect to Strum, I personally couldn't feel comfortable doing any kind of repair work myself, not knowing the extent of any potential damage. But that's just me... I'm not a Luthier or even a modifier... Strum is more experienced than I am. You have to weigh up your own knowledge and skill. I'd rather pay a few quid / dollars and take it to the man who can.

[/quote']

Mugatu,

You give me far too much credit. I will admit that I have learned how to break them, but I'm still working on the fixing part. Taking it in to have someone look at it can never hurt, especially if it someplace that you trust.

Fair one Strum, my point was more that the OP has to weigh up whether he knows he'll do a good job.

I agree with your point that the best place for it is a pro that he can trust. Hopefully our OP knows a shop that has a good reputation.

The strap did come loose once and it fell on the ground so that is what my have caused it. The thing is' date=' it hasn't given me any problems and there hasn't been any tonal changes in the guitar. So i dunno, it may just be the finish that's cracked. So should I be worrying?[/quote']

1) You know exactly what happened

2) The crack doesn't seem to be causing problems

Short of an xray, there's no sure way to know the extent of the damage. If it was my guitar, I'd simply keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse. And I'd get some straplocks, too.