Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson GA-5 vs Epi VJ3?

Is the Gibson amp really worth that money? Its about 3 times the price of the V3.

It seems similar in what you get for your money and the only diff i notice is that it has a point to point wiring instead of like the pcb in the VJ.

Never seen one or had chance to play one and i wouldnt buy one for that money just wondered if it was so much better? Is it the same circuit with upgraded part ect.

Thanks guys

Well, I'm sure the Gibson's iron is of much better quality, but as far as the components on the board are concerned, let's just say there are always tweaker's tricks that could be applied to the Gibson or any amp to improve the tone. What you're really paying that upcharge for is the rugged build quality of a turretboard, and it's got a really nice cab. That's an amp that'll be alive long after most factory VJr's printed circuit cards have turned to crapola.

However, for half the price of the Gibson amp, you can buy a VJr and replace the VJr's PCB with a turretboard using very high quality parts. It'll be in the same league with the Gibson's tone, if not way beyond, simply because you can tweak it in any direction you desire using whatever quality level of parts you can afford. You can swap out the transformers in the future if it ever becomes necessary, but in terms of tone, that's a subjectively tiny bang for some fairly major bucks. Till then, the VJr's iron will do the job just fine.

Gil...

You could buy a vintage GA-5 for what they sold those for. This is why you're not likely to see a re-issue Champ anytime soon as well. They simply can't produce them for less than what they go for used, because they made so many of them that they're still ridiculously abundant, many, many years after they stopped producing them.

something is happening, but you don't know what it is, do you, mr. jones?

TWANG

heh. god I'm funny.

ok.. I'm just in a good mood.

I tried taping out a set of graph tech bridge saddles to fit the odd korean samick sheraton bridge..

and it worked. so I got a tad of the goofys going on.

it's a quote from an old bob dylan song.

'you walk into the room

pencil in your hand

you see somebody naked and you say

who is that man

you try so hard but you

just don't understand

just what you will say when you get

home....'

etc.

I can't help it I'm ancient, you know!

TWANG

I was born in 1949.

"In the days of old when they dug up the gold in the days of 49"

another bob song. but about an earlier century.

I think.

I dunno. could have been 1849.

seems like it sometimes.

TWANG

I have owned 2 VJ combos and a VJ head. I also own a Gibson GA-5. I still have the GA-5 after deciding that the Gibson had a slight edge on the VJ's. The VJ,s were pretty cool but there is a slight bit of something in the sounds I get from the Gibson that I like. Now everyone to their own taste . The Gibson is lighter and easier to get around. I can wire it either 8 or 4 ohms , as a matter of fact I installed an 8 ohm input , making it a quick choice. Being a Turret board construction means that any mod is simpler to do for me. I have a Weber speaker in, that I love, and the Goldtone stock speaker is a noble replacement in my Champ 600 RI. I like the look of the GA-5 better than the VJ, something that is totally subjective, However the Gibson cabinet is made from real wood , making it lighter and nicer to my eye. I bought my GA-5 in new condition as a used amp. I paid $250 for it, so if I had spent the same amount on converting the VJ to Turret board, upgrading the transformers, (GA-5s are MOJO),upgrading the speaker and other components, I most likely would have spent more than $250. My vote goes to the GA-5.

Don't forget Basketball Jones!! "Somebody set me a Pick!"

I have owned 2 VJ combos and a VJ head. I also own a Gibson GA-5. I still have the GA-5 after deciding that the Gibson had a slight edge on the VJ's. The VJ' date='s were pretty cool but there is a slight bit of something in the sounds I get from the Gibson that I like. Now everyone to their own taste . The Gibson is lighter and easier to get around. I can wire it either 8 or 4 ohms , as a matter of fact I installed an 8 ohm input , making it a quick choice. Being a Turret board construction means that any mod is simpler to do for me. I have a Weber speaker in, that I love, and the Goldtone stock speaker is a noble replacement in my Champ 600 RI. I like the look of the GA-5 better than the VJ, something that is totally subjective, However the Gibson cabinet is made from real wood , making it lighter and nicer to my eye. I bought my GA-5 in new condition as a used amp. I paid $250 for it, so if I had spent the same amount on converting the VJ to Turret board, upgrading the transformers, (GA-5s are MOJO),upgrading the speaker and other components, I most likely would have spent more than $250. My vote goes to the GA-5.

Don't forget Basketball Jones!! "Somebody set me a Pick!"[/quote'] What are the mods that you've done or plan on doing to the turret board?

There is a three way mod called "Trinity Mods' that are discussed on other forums. I did them and kept some.

1. Jumper the parallel 1M resister and 22pf cap that comes off the vol pot.

2. Lift (remove) the 1st stage 25uf bypass cap (12AX7).

3. Add a 47k resistor from the hot speaker lead to pin 8 of the 12AX7 (negative feedback) - this will really mellow out the tone a bunch more. I kept the first mod. Tried the second but liked the bypass cap better, and did not use the NFB mod. I also have tried a variety of coupling caps values, and have ended up using .1 caps rather than the stock .022s. I feel the tone is a bassier tone which works great with harp. I also rerouted a couple of wires to make for better dress in my opinion. The chassis is very easy to acess and work on.

Archived