Gibson Brands Forums

if your mods don't go right.. this is the perfect guitar

TWANG

I love it of course being a big EVH fan. I made my own copy of one of his famous guitars the 5150. The only thing i was missing was the mapple fretboard which was a bummer. Sold it now but was lovely to look at and play. Sound was quite thin through my Vox but ok through my VJ. Was made of ply wood so this didnt help but i still sold it for 3 times the price i origanally paid! Sold for £220 on the ebay. There are hundreds of people making there own on youtube for a fraction of the cost!

DSC01347.jpg

This pic is just before i finished it off. I aged the white by a flame from a match so it had yellow to brown stains on it and also checked the body. As i explained when i sold it, the guitar was an 1984 guitar and all the origanal screws and hardwear was genuine wear.

I read the articles in Guitar World and watched the videos on the DVD that came with the magazine, and there is a lot of history associated with EVH's work in designing (if you can call the finished product the result of "design work"). In actuality, it is a chop job that sounds very good. I would be ashamed to show a guitar that looked like this and take credit for the work, much less buy one for $25,000.

The job that the Fender Custom Shop did is outstanding in terms of recreating the guitar. They just didn't have much to copy, IMHO. Give me a nice, shiny $500 guitar with well-fitted parts any day over one like this. Now, if they had designed a pick guard that covered up the holes left from installing pickups that didn't fit the routed cavities, it might be a looker (If it didn't have simulated white tape all over it).

That's my honest opinion (grin). In an earlier life, I guess I would have been the kid who said "The Emperor has no clothes!."

Archived