Gibson Brands Forums

Newbie here some Epi Valve questions...

rob_gt4

Hi guys,

I've been checking out some vids on youtube etc of the Epi Valve junior and there's some people getting great tones out of these things so thought i'd do a bit of research, couple things i'm trying to find out...

1. I'm in the UK and the Epiphone Valve jr heads are like rocking horse sh1t but the combos are 10 to a penny, I was planning to run the Head into a PA with a couple of Mesa Boogie 1x12 cabs I have, but seen as I can't get one, could I get a combo and bypass the standard speaker to achieve what I originally wanted? Oh and also still get the same sound?

2. It seems common on these to do a tube change, is this fairly straightforward and is it neccessary

and finally,

I've been offered a v3 combo will this have the tone, gain and reverb controls or is that just on the head that is being talked about being on its way?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the essay8-[

you have to have a speaker connected. they don't have a line out.

the combo and the head are the same.

pull out tube, put tube in. make sure you don't push wrong and bend the pins. and make sure they are lined up.

easy.

the new head has reverb etc...

the valve senior.

the valve junior has a volume control and that's it.

as regards using 2X12 cabs.. you lose a bit of volume.. a single 12" will be louder.

get one with as high db sensitivity as you can find. 100, 101. those are loud.

you don't have a line out, so you'll have to mic it.

TWANG

On V3 (and probably v2 as well) combos, there are speaker output jacks, so yes, you could bypass the stock speaker and go to a seperate cabinet.

No, it would not sound the same.

Nothing but a volume control on Vjr. The tone control and reverb are on the vapor amp that's supposedly "on its way."

you have to have a speaker connected. they don't have a line out.
tch

Good catch there, TWANG! I'd just assumed he was referring to micing it through a PA, but you may well be right, in thinking that he was going to run it directly into the PA.

the new head has reverb etc...

the valve senior.

The Valve Sr. is an 18 watt, 2 x 6v6 concoction. I believe that it's the Hot Rod Vjr that he's referring to, although it's gain, volume, reverb, as I've read. At this point, however, who really knows what it'll be, or if it will ever even truly exist?

thanks for the replies, i'll be micing the cab so thats fine I was more concerned about the speaker outputs and bypassing the standard speaker, anyway i've found a shop in America now with them in stock and willing to ship internationally so I think i've got a head!

By the way with regards to swapping the tubes what is the main reason people do this and do you have any personal recommendations for the tubes to go for, is it more reliability issues or tone?

Sovteks, power tube, have their fans.

I like 'em ok.

I like the JJs more.

it's a little bit tone and a little bit the ... 'color' or some quality of the overdrive.

early ones shipped with pretty crappy chinese tubes..

then they got sovteks power tubes.

now they ship with an electro harmonix in the pre amp, which I liked, some don't.

JJ's for the preamp are probably most common.

I prefer the 5751 in the preamp.. it's got less power.. so you can swap out for power and tone in the preamp...

is it tubesandmore.com or thetubestore.com that has the info on power differences..

you can use about four different tubes in the preamp.

I still think one of the best sounds I got was the 8" combo speaker with a 12" speaker.

but I had an 8ohm speaker.. for the 12".

so I could run the combo 8" 16 ohm into the 8 ohm amp jack, and the 8ohm 12" speaker into the 4 ohm amp jack..

ohms came out good and I thought it sounded really nice.

TWANG

Just wanted to reply and say thanks for the replies and also big thanks to mrjones2004x, basically the company I ordered one from in USA refunded my paypal and sent me an email the next day to say the heads had been discontinued?!

Anyway I rang that coda music and they had 2 in stock so should be here for a play 2mo! :D/

Archived