Gibson Brands Forums

tubes, generally speaking

jorge1

Hello

I would like to experiment in switching the tubes out from stock on the EVJ Head (with matching cab), and would like some feedback as to what tonal variations/characteristics I can expect from one brand to another. Looking primarily at electro harmonix and JJ?

Apologies in advance if this had been covered 1000 times, and I missed them (all).

Most people who've tried several consider JJ to make the most consistent, best sounding EL84 today. I've only tried a few myself, so I'm not the grand expert wizard, but of the ones that I've tried (JJ, Sovtek, and EH), I've personally preferred JJ.

That said, new production tubes are cheap enough that you could easily buy a few different ones to try for yourself, and NOS can be had in singles for around $50...perhaps a bit less if you shop around.

FWIW, all the tube swapping in the world is only going to get you so far with a circuit that's pretty muddy and bland to begin with, imo.

tubes schmoobs... get a MXR 10-band EQ pedal - you'd be amazed at what it does to "mud around the collar"... Scott58 has one and he swears by his - I tried a "buds" out and WHAMMO - it was clearin' that stuff right up. I use a Big Muff PI and also a Korg Multi-effects (lots of guys using Pods, etc) - it's digital I know, but it adds a lot of high end with proper tweakin' and I use it mostly for a tad bit of Delay, Chorus, Voib, etc., and let the Big Muff add the dirty stuff - sounds WICKEDLY good at AM Radio volumes - perfect for those late night practices (like tonight - it's 2:30 AM Sat Night and the Lil' Woman is asleep)! =D>

Next purchase here is gonna be an EQ Pedal. I tried 3 different tubes in my 1st head - it also already had a GAIN, BRIGHT and Standby added when I bought it. Pedals do more than all that stuff did.

I'd go along with strangedogs as far as trying an EQ instead of tube swapping. That is as long a you don't NEED tubes, but not as far as just swapping one name brand for another. Some folks might tell a difference but I sure can't. Only time I hear a difference is when going from old to new ones, don't matter which name brand...as I said TO ME.

Anyhow you'd be surprise how a simple EQ pedal can change the character of your amp. I been using EQ pedal for years with great results. Any where in the chain, FX loop, as a clean booster pedal. Most over looked pedal out there IMO. I use Boss EQs myself....the GE-7.

Granted that just a guitar, chord and amp would be the ultimate. But if you haven't found that combo yet I would give an EQ a try....at least before going into the long search of trying different tubes, or speakers. LOL...I guess I've just gotten to lazy about this after so many years.

BTW and FWIW..when I refer to tubes I'm mainly talking O/P tubes and not pre amp tubes. Pre amp section could be SS for all I care...no different than pedals to me. The pushed O/P tube vibe is what I and most folks go for when using tube amps.

Anyhow just my opinon and 2 cents worth, but I'd at least give the EQ pedal a demo. Who knows might be what you've been looking for...than again might not =D> .

Archived