Gibson Brands Forums

Can anyone recommend a good reverb pedal?

So many out there..probably get as many opinions as the choices.

The deciding factor for me with the ones I tried was the price.....although the Digitech Hardwires weren't out yet.

Anyhow I did a side by side with Boss, Digitech, Line6 and the E-H Holy Grail. I went with the Holy Grail, like I said just cause of the price I got for a new one ....LOL..otherwise I'd probably still be doing the demo thing. They all sounded really good, but the Grail, along with the price, worked for what I needed.

I'm thinking of maybe swapping the Grail for the Digitech Hardwire one though. I don't use batteries and the Grail does not like sharing power with other pedals apparently...or so it would seem with mine anyhow. I get a hissing sound out of mine when I do. I use the supplied power supply with it and it quite's it down. But now I have more junk added to my board that I don't want.

For that reason alone I'm thinking of going with the Digitech. Besides I really like the other ones in that line I have, and do like the Reverb pedal.

BTW and FWIW but I have the Classic Grail and not the Plus...the Plus might be better.

Anyways here is a link to the MF's Hardwire pedals....some are pretty neat little bastards, and some just about the same as already out there but with a different look I feel. The reverb is one of the nice ones IMO.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=hardwire&st=

Behringer V-VERB PRO REV2496 Reverb Modeling

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-VVERB-PRO-REV2496-Reverb-Modeling-Processor?sku=182490

what about that?

I've been kinda tempted.. seems a good way to use my efx loop IF it has an input attentuator. have to email as it doesn't

say on the mf page.

my thing has been that I haven't been happy with verb in front. I'd like it after the preamp.

But.. I'll try to check out what you guys have used in the stores. maybe the answer, too.

TWANG

Rafael' date=' check the amperage on your power supply. The HG takes a 500mA wallwart, most other pedals in my mess of wires use 300mA or less. Might just be insufficient current to drive the Holy Grail.

[/quote']

Yeah Snooks...you be right, and thanks. But I did try using a 1 Spot cause it pumps out 1700ma and still the same thing. I think I got one that just wants to mess with me. Thank God I only need to use it with one amp. I have a little '65 Princeton that I just love the way it sounds, and weights, but it's the non reverb Princeton.

my thing has been that I haven't been happy with verb in front. I'd like it after the preamp.

I feel the same TWANG. Got no choice with the amp I use it with though...no FX loop. Besides I can dime it and it will never breakup on it's own anyhow....so most of whatever grit I get is through pedals and before the reverb anyways. I feel the same way though, the FX Loop is the way to go if you can.

Sorry for the short jacking' date=' but I gots to know.

Pete I never noticed that Tele before in your avatar...did you just sneak that one under the radar on us?[/quote']

Raf i change my avatar frequently. The Tele is a Baja with black guard instead of the white one.

Also i only see things Epi related and wanted to be a bit naughty.

Peter:-"

i change my avatar frequently.

Don't we know..LOL.

I'm getting this urge for a Tele just like that one, but I'll have to wait a bit...got a few new guitars just recently and funds are low. Doing the pedal thing though...it's cheaper and more within my present budget#-o

Sorry EpiSheriMan for jacking your thread O:)

Putting a reverb pedal thru the FX loop on a Vjr. is almost like having a second preamp stage.

I've been using a Marshall RF-1 Reflector for a long time thru an FX loop added onto a Vjr. It works really well, sounds fine, and didn't cost too much, but I hope to try out the Digitech Hardwire RV-7 in the next few weeks. (The Marshall is a little on the dry, digital side).

I was looking at the electro harmonix Holy Grail Plus.......

:-({|=

I haven't tried it but I have a few Electro Harmonix pedals and like them all pretty well. EHX seems to make good pedals with good features (true bypass, low noise, etc.) Generally, they also seem to favor analog designs over digital. Not sure about the Holy Grail Plus though.

Whatever you pick, my recommendation is to really listen closely to the sound quality. I used to get drawn in by pedals that had a lot of knobs to tweak but pretty sterile sound. IMO, Boss is the worst offender.

I would much rather have one really solid reverb sound than a "jack of all trades, master of none" pedal that does a little of everything. That's just me though. Maybe there are good digital reverbs that do everything well? O:)

Putting a reverb pedal thru the FX loop on a Vjr. is almost like having a second preamp stage.

I've been using a Marshall RF-1 Reflector for a long time thru an FX loop added onto a Vjr. It works really well' date=' sounds fine, and didn't cost too much, but I hope to try out the Digitech Hardwire RV-7 in the next few weeks. (The Marshall is a little on the dry, digital side). [/quote']

Don't you get constant overdrive.. I mean doesn't the tube just drive the pedal so hard distortion, and not pretty, is all you get?

TWANG

Don't you get constant overdrive.. I mean doesn't the tube just drive the pedal so hard distortion' date=' and not pretty, is all you get?

TWANG[/quote']

No, no additional overdrive than with the pedal off, the the reverb level is a little louder and just a bit warmer thru the loop than it is plugged straight in.

Some of the Digitech Hardwire series claims to be okay with line level signals; so, those that are ready for that should work well in an amp loop.

FWIW, I just got done trying my MXR Stereo Chorus and Carbon Copy Delay pedals in the various loop and line out configurations and both pedals work great with a line level signal! I'm kinda surprised by that cuz I don't think either manual (pamphlet) mentioned it.

Anyway, last night I had 'em hooked up in a formal send/return Loop-D-Junior style FX loop and they worked fine. But today, those same two pedals are currently being fed signal from the post-OT line out on my Calico Beast VJr. One chorus pedal output feeds the loop return input on one of my twin Funk47 VJr's. The other chorus pedal output feeds the Carbon Copy, which feeds my other Funk47. And I must say, I am VERY impressed! It sounds truly spectacular in 3-amp wet/dry stereo, and it's actually way warmer sounding, and with a far more direct finger-on-string-on-speaker feeling than I ever got with my former Digitech GSP1101 or the Lexicon MPXG2 wizzbang boxes!

Analog rocks! :)

Gil....

Some of the Digitech Hardwire series claims to be okay with line level signals; so' date=' those that are ready for that should work well in an amp loop.[/quote']

One of Digitech's big selling points for the Hardwire pedals is that they operate at 18V and maintain that until the battery is pretty much drained. 18V would give them a lot of head room but I wonder how they do it. My first guess is a charge pump but I always thought those were "frowned upon" for audio applications because the output can be fairly noisy. Maybe that doesn't matter much when your signal is so low in comparison?

As cheesy as one may think this pedal may be, I've found it to be wonderful for my effects rig.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-FDR1-Fender-Deluxe-Reverb-Pedal?sku=150219

This is a COSM modeled Boss, after the '65 Fender Deluxe. I bought it at Guitar Center Memorial Day this year as I was looking for a Reverb Box. This thing really delivers the Fender reverb that everyone knows and loves. In my use so far, it has a legit sound. The reverb really can go from subtle, and un-noticeable to full out, dripping surf reverb. It also has level and drive controls, which allow the added flexibility to use it as a drive/lead boost, and to top it all off, it also has the Tremelo from the FDR. You turn up the level, and then can tap in the tempo on the pedal (simliar to a DD series where you hold it down for 2 seconds, tap it in, and then go back to the effect).

The trem sounds good, but I don't use it as I have a vibrato ahead of it in the chain. What I want to use this guy for when I upgrade my amp, is to bring in a Fender type reverb/silverface tone to an amp that is a more British/Vox sounding (hopefully sooner than later a BC-30). This box has been great in front of my Epi Galaxie 10 that doesn't have any reverb at all. It's pretty diverse and you can find a cheaper used one on eBay. Also watch the sales. Like I said, I got mine at GC on Memorial Day. I paid $80 instead of $150.

I know that I'm in the extreme minority on this, but I just have no use whatsoever for guitar reverb in a live setting. It just muddies the tone, imo. That said, it seems that there are plenty of choices these days for decent quality pedal reverb for those that can't live without it. I would expect, based upon what I've read, that the offerings from EH, Boss, and Digitech would certainly be worth consideration, as well as songworks, Line 6, and TC Electronics, among others. Much would depend upon how much one was willing to spend, I would guess.

My first guess is a charge pump but I always thought those were "frowned upon" for audio applications because the output can be fairly noisy.

Has to be a charge pump circuit, because there's only a single 9v in these pedals. I assume they minimized noise with additional filtering, SMD components, and careful PCB design.

hey, if you're into silly gimicks, you could get the danelectro spring king (complete with kick pad to emulate the sound of a spring reverb unit being kicked...)

i'm glad i got an amp with reverb built in because i don't really think i'd ever buy a dedicated reverb unit :) (of course, it'd be nice to have the blues custom... real tube amplified spring reverb, just like my organ :-k )

Archived