Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Shop CSserial # Question

roadhog96

that number comes up as a'68 Custom...these guitars--even though they are not technically part of the Historic collection--do have Historic-style serial numbers (i.e. digits only), rather than "CS" prefix numbers like, say, a Les Paul Custom or CS-336 would. so...what you are seeing is correct, and has nothing to do with the fact that the guitar is in Guitar Center. Hope that helps.

Thanks for your info. The one thing I don't understand is why it is not technically a historic. It has so many features of a historic like long neck tenon joint, tall pick up rings, large screw in strap buttom on butt of guitar, mohogany body and neck with maple cap, ebony board, aged bakelite style selector switch button, ABR-1 bridge, and stopbar tailpeice, not aluminum. About all it would need is the pots to be changed to CTS and sprague Black Beauty Caps, vintage tuners and it would be just about there. It came with a Gibson Custom, Art, Historic COA certificate. They use to have the Gibson Custom, art, Historic decal on the headstock but that was changed in 06 to the new Gibson Custon decal.

well...the guitar in question here is one of the slim-necked '68 Customs that is exclusive to GC. the slim neck, as well as the triburst finish color, are both pretty major specs that were NOT available in 1968. so really, the guitar is pretty far outside the realms of the Historic program despite some of the things that you mentioned.

well...the guitar in question here is one of the slim-necked '68 Customs that is exclusive to GC. the slim neck' date=' as well as the triburst finish color, are both pretty major specs that were NOT available in 1968. so really, the guitar is pretty far outside the realms of the Historic program despite some of the things that you mentioned.[/quote']

I hear what you are saying and agree that they are major spec differences. Maybe part of the problem is, I don't really know all the requirements needed to meet a historic spec guitar. Believe it or not, one of the reasons I actually bought this guitar is because I liked the neck so much. I had tried the same guitar with the wider neck and it didn't feel as good. That is also why I went with the Memphis 335 dot, the 60's slim neck profile. So it's basically just a Custom guitar. Why is it called a 68 Custom RI if it's really not?

Archived