Gibson Brands Forums

epiphone really uses only mahogany?

franciscog

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

trust me, it's ONE piece. I've examined it numerous times and in multiple light settings. You can trace the grain pattern accross the sides of the guitar. I don't just *think* i can't see a seam, there isn't one to be seem, i mean seen =D> Edwards are well known for their ONE PIECE AFRICAN MAHOGANY BODIES. You won't find a 2 or 3 piece body in an Edwards LP anywhere.

Those are very odd guitars' date=' not sure what they were trying to accomplish with a 2 bucker "mahogany" strat, & I've yet to hear any "Duncan Designed" pups worth a hoot.

They are some of the most worthless buckers out there. They should just spend the extra money and put a Jazz/59 combo in all these imports with 'Designed" pups. [/quote']

Marx, it depends on that guitar that you put those SD's on. Gibson puts the 1/2" maple cap on a mahogany guitar to bring out the brightness. Epi covers the mahogany with a veneer that contributes little in the way on presence or brightness, so you need pickups that do that. Pearly Gates pickups will balance out the sound of the wood in an Epi LP to do just that. I've played various vintage humbuckers including the Gibson models that were around in the 60's when I was starting out as a player and I'm not sure I agree with the statement that Duncans are worthless. I know that my Duncans beat the 490R/498T in my Gibson Les Paul for the sound I am looking for.

Your tone expectations may differ from mine. I'm looking for classic rock tones, others might want to sound like Chet Atkins (Gretsch), or Hendrix (Strat). Others may want to sound like Slash or Duane Allman and some way be looking for new wave sounds. It's all in the ear.

Guitar tone is like car colors. Everyone thinks one color is best. Real Vintage cars only came in black.

Marx' date=' it depends on that guitar that you put those SD's on. Gibson puts the 1/2" maple cap on a mahogany guitar to bring out the brightness. Epi covers the mahogany with a veneer that contributes little in the way on presence or brightness, so you need pickups that do that. Pearly Gates pickups will balance out the sound of the wood in an Epi LP to do just that. I've played various vintage humbuckers including the Gibson models that were around in the 60's when I was starting out as a player and I'm not sure I agree with the statement that Duncans are worthless. I know that my Duncans beat the 490R/498T in my Gibson Les Paul for the sound I am looking for.

Your tone expectations may differ from mine. I'm looking for classic rock tones, others might want to sound like Chet Atkins (Gretsch), or Hendrix (Strat). Others may want to sound like Slash or Duane Allman and some way be looking for new wave sounds. It's all in the ear.

Guitar tone is like car colors. Everyone thinks one color is best. Real Vintage cars only came in black.[/quote']

He was talking about the "Duncan Designed" pickup line, made by (or for) Seymour Duncan, probably overseas. They are okay pickups, better than stock Epis, but far from standard Duncan quality either. They are found stock in many brands of guitars, most notably in Schechters and the like. Again, they're not horrible, but far from great.

trust me' date=' it's ONE piece. I've examined it numerous times and in multiple light settings. You can trace the grain pattern accross the sides of the guitar. I don't just *think* i can't see a seam, there isn't one to be seem, i mean seen O:) Edwards are well known for their ONE PIECE AFRICAN MAHOGANY BODIES. You won't find a 2 or 3 piece body in an Edwards LP anywhere.[/quote']

Fine, if you insist O:) , but I can clearly see a division of color the length of the body. Wood does not change color so sharply like that, especially when the change doesn't follow the grain line.

Fine' date=' if you insist :- , but I can clearly see a division of color the length of the body. Wood does not change color so sharply like that, especially when the change doesn't follow the grain line. [/quote']

Sorry, I didn't realise you knew my guitar better than me. You're suggesting there's a seam from the treble edge of the neck running parallel down the body?

Like this:

352073370.jpg

If so, then you're suggesting the seam is here:

352073207.jpg

Let's have a proper look then:

352073211.jpg

352073217.jpg

Still see a seam??? #-o

Guitar tone is like car colors. Everyone thinks one color is best. Real Vintage cars only came in black.

Except of course for Bentleys which came in green and Alfas which came in Red and Auto Unions which came in silver!

But then again I think that was your point.

Marxbro' date='

You are indeed antagonistic. Anyone says anything you don't agree with, you post some out of tune reply.

That mahagony Squire is fairly unique and sounds really great and there also are many many people who really really like the duncan designed humbuckers that come stock on some guitars. Your opinion is your opinion, not some sort of authoritative decree.

Since reading your derisive comments regarding heavy mahogany guitars I have read many posts where people attribute their excellent tone to the high density and heavy weight of the specific guitars they are comparing to other guitars with lesser tone.

Whatever your opinion is, others have opinions that are just as worthy and possibly more informed and quite possibly more correct and closer to the truth. Know what I mean.

The courtesy and tolerance of your acidic replys on this forum speaks a lot for the great group of people here. Why don't you substantiate your claims with anything other than your put downs?

Duffy[/quote']You continually refer to "others opinions"..... It’s painfully obvious you have little real world experience with a wide range of LP's including but not limited to original 1950's ones.

It is therefore impossible to continue this discussion with you seeing you have no real world frame of reference experience to discuss this from.

I'll give you a clue on how you can get a clue, go find a clip of a 59 Burst through a Trainwreck, adjust your mind to the reality of that tone and then we "might" be able to discuss something here.

Marxbros,

I have not played a 50's LP. This is an Epi forum. A great deal of people here have not played one either. I wouldn't mind having one and maybe will someday. I helped restore one but that's as far as I have gone.

The duncan designed, regardless of what you say, are liked by many people as an alternative to real Seymour Duncan "59 and JB's. Personally I like the real Seymour Duncans. I'm saying that the duncan designed sound great in my mahoganay body Squire.

I don't have to follow any of your instructions to do anything and you don't need to be telling me what to do, needlesstosay.

Your screen name, Marxbros: weren't the Marx Brothers sarcastic and somewhat abrasive comedians. Are you trying to emulate that sarcasm?

You just can't see where your "holier than thou" attitude is out of line. People don't want to hear you putting them down and more should stick up for themselves because "if you don't stand up for yourself, you don't stand for anything". It would be appreciated by me and many others if you would discontinue your put downs of other peoples ideas and gear. Maybe you have the best gear in the world, but a lot of us don't and we are having fun and discussing our stuff. You continually go back to historic, super high quality Gibsons. This is an Epiphone forum, a lot of us own inexpensive Epi's and other guitars and all you do is discredit our stuff. Stuff we take pride in and like, whether you do or not. Like the way you discredited my Squire trans satin twin humbucker mahogany guitar based upon your personal ideas. My personal ideas are that it is a great sounding guitar. What is your claim to fame? You suggest that you have great real world experience. Let's hear it. A lot of us don't have great amounts of real world experience, we are not rock stars, or 45 year gigging muscians. Some of us are hobbyists and tinkerers, kind of like Leo Fender, an appliance repair man who never learned how to play guitar but could make some of the best in the world. Just like we are not just like Leo Fender, you are certainly not like Jimmy Page or Jeff Beck; so why don't you chill out and realize that this is an Epi forum and not everyone is as knowledgeable as you seem to claim to be. Plus, where is your understanding of people and how to communicate with them. You are self centered, condescending, rude, insulting, and have no regard for helping anyone. You just focus on things that you think are low quality and run them down. People don't want to hear their equipment run down. Maybe they could only afford what they got. It's not right to run people like that and their gear down. You just don't get that.

This attitude on your part has gone on long enough for me to know that you won't change, for whatever reason and it's shameful, it brings down the forum and makes it look like a place to go to argue and get your posts stomped on by some bully. I don't think people here want you trying to stomp on them, but they tolerate you and are very polite to you even though you are rude to them. That's taking advantage of the goodness of people, that's wrong dude. If you want to be pitiful why don't you try to control it and chill out. I know this won't happen because you are persistent and probably proud of yourself and think your "dark sarcasm" is fun. Well you know what? "We don't need no education" from you.

Try to relax and tolerate other people that you might think are below you and have gear that is way below the standards you set for yourself. Try to be cool and acceptable and more agreeable to people. Why don't you do that? I'd like to know? Are you compulsively like this?

Peace,

Duffy

Marxbros' date='

I have not played a 50's LP. This is an Epi forum. A great deal of people here have not played one either. I wouldn't mind having one and maybe will someday. I helped restore one but that's as far as I have gone.

The duncan designed, regardless of what you say, are liked by many people as an alternative to real Seymour Duncan "59 and JB's. Personally I like the real Seymour Duncans. I'm saying that the duncan designed sound great in my mahoganay body Squire.

I don't have to follow any of your instructions to do anything and you don't need to be telling me what to do, needlesstosay.

Your screen name, Marxbros: weren't the Marx Brothers sarcastic and somewhat abrasive comedians. Are you trying to emulate that sarcasm?

You just can't see where your "holier than thou" attitude is out of line. People don't want to hear you putting them down and more should stick up for themselves because "if you don't stand up for yourself, you don't stand for anything". It would be appreciated by me and many others if you would discontinue your put downs of other peoples ideas and gear. Maybe you have the best gear in the world, but a lot of us don't and we are having fun and discussing our stuff. You continually go back to historic, super high quality Gibsons. This is an Epiphone forum, a lot of us own inexpensive Epi's and other guitars and all you do is discredit our stuff. Stuff we take pride in and like, whether you do or not. Like the way you discredited my Squire trans satin twin humbucker mahogany guitar based upon your personal ideas. My personal ideas are that it is a great sounding guitar. What is your claim to fame? You suggest that you have great real world experience. Let's hear it. A lot of us don't have great amounts of real world experience, we are not rock stars, or 45 year gigging muscians. Some of us are hobbyists and tinkerers, kind of like Leo Fender, an appliance repair man who never learned how to play guitar but could make some of the best in the world. Just like we are not just like Leo Fender, you are certainly not like Jimmy Page or Jeff Beck; so why don't you chill out and realize that this is an Epi forum and not everyone is as knowledgeable as you seem to claim to be. Plus, where is your understanding of people and how to communicate with them. You are self centered, condescending, rude, insulting, and have no regard for helping anyone. You just focus on things that you think are low quality and run them down. People don't want to hear their equipment run down. Maybe they could only afford what they got. It's not right to run people like that and their gear down. You just don't get that.

This attitude on your part has gone on long enough for me to know that you won't change, for whatever reason and it's shameful, it brings down the forum and makes it look like a place to go to argue and get your posts stomped on by some bully. I don't think people here want you trying to stomp on them, but they tolerate you and are very polite to you even though you are rude to them. That's taking advantage of the goodness of people, that's wrong dude. If you want to be pitiful why don't you try to control it and chill out. I know this won't happen because you are persistent and probably proud of yourself and think your "dark sarcasm" is fun. Well you know what? "We don't need no education" from you.

Try to relax and tolerate other people that you might think are below you and have gear that is way below the standards you set for yourself. Try to be cool and acceptable and more agreeable to people. Why don't you do that? I'd like to know? Are you compulsively like this?

Peace,

Duffy[/quote']If you seriously think anyone would read all that blathering...well.

If you think a cheap "Duncan Designed" pickup is anything other than sonic s h i t...well....

You really have no frame of reference to enter these discussions...that IS painfully obvious. It's like a yugo owner trying to discuss sports cars.

More insults, degrading bullying, almost hateful comments.

This is not a sports car forum, it's an Epiphone forum. We are trying to talk about mahogany and how it sounds.

You are so judgemental you should be a judge or something.

How do you get off talking to people like you do? You talk about the real world. How could you survive like that? People wouldn't put up with this type of thing long in the real world dude.

Why are you insulting me? I'm just like everyone else on this forum. Looking for answers and trying to help others out.

You come off like the sargent of arms of some motorcycle gang or something.

This is supposed to be a cool place to communicate without harrassment and put downs. Don't you get that. We are not all electronic engineers or thugs. We have respect for ourselves and our equipment and expect to be respected. Duncan designed pickups are not junk and some of them are quite nice actually. You make them sound like complete junk but it is perspectival.

Why are you so foul and abusive to people?

Peace dude,

Duffy

He(MarxBros)'s talking about ''Duncan designed''' date=' not ''Seymour Duncan'' pickups imo.

Peter[/quote']

Oops! My bad... Sorry Marx, I didn't read the "designed" part. I just saw Duncan and said, "Now, wait a minute!"

I have to agree on the Duncan Designed pickups. They, from the comments I have heard from those who have tried both, aren't up to the real thing.

In the words of Gilda Radner, "Never Mind".

I for one would be most interested as to the actual details of MarxBros wide experience in playing vintage 50's LP's. To use his sports car analogy, there is a certain vicarious thrill in reading a report from someone who has recently driven a vintage Alfa (for example) but there is much more enjoyment and education to be had from reading someone who can impart the experience of driving that car at a particular point or indeed points in time wtheith all the details that they can remember. Also the ability to comment on the change in performance of individual models or marques as they age gives an invaluable insight.

So come on MarxBros - spill the beans. I'd guess that 99.9% of us here are never going to have the opportunities that you've obviously been fortunate to experience so ...

ahh, did you all miss my post in page 2 of this thread????

The wood they use is called Luan/Lauan otherwise known as Philippine Mahogany. It has very similar grain like real mahogany, but it does NOT belong to the mahogany family at all. But it's industrial name of "Philippine Mahogany" allows manufacturers to use it and call it MAHOGANY.

I used to love to hear Ford and Chevy owners rave about which was best. Both brands got you where you were going, in style, and were the best according to their owners.

It just tickles me the way we can argue incessantly about mahogany! Put in the hands of an experienced player, it doesn't really matter whether a guitar is made from mahogany, ash, alder, korina, or some exotic grade of pine. If it has a decent set of pickups, a good setup, and the player has some "tone" in his or her fingers and a little palm muting technique, it will sound like rock and roll.

Brian May's guitar was made by his Dad from the mantle of a fireplace. The wood probably came from some tree in a forest in Northern Europe. Tell me it doesn't sound great.

Marx has a talent for pulling strings. And, I think, he has succeeded again this time.

Hey Guys.

First, let me warn you, I've never played a Les Paul from the 50's, 60's, or 70's, so I'm probably just a mindless twit with no real world experience in the eyes of at least some of you.

That being said, I was wondering about this weight-debate: Some claim extra weight means higher density and thus more sustain, etc., while others beg to differ. Does this weight-is-better-argument only apply to Mahogany? The Tele-players seem to always brag about how lite their ash bodies are and how that's the secret of a good Telecaster. Is that because ash is different? Why wouldn't a heavier ash body increase sustain?

I used to love to hear Ford and Chevy owners rave about which was best. Both brands got you where you were going' date=' in style, and were the best according to their owners.

It just tickles me the way we can argue incessantly about mahogany! Put in the hands of an experienced player, it doesn't really matter whether a guitar is made from mahogany, ash, alder, korina, or some exotic grade of pine. If it has a decent set of pickups, a good setup, and the player has some "tone" in his or her fingers and a little palm muting technique, it will sound like rock and roll.

Brian May's guitar was made by his Dad from the mantle of a fireplace. The wood probably came from some tree in a forest in Northern Europe. Tell me it doesn't sound great.

Marx has a talent for pulling strings. And, I think, he has succeeded again this time.

[/quote']

Excellent Response!!!

If the neck action is good, a good guitar player will make it sing.

Archived