Gibson Brands Forums

epiphone really uses only mahogany?

franciscog

Brian May's guitar was made by his Dad from the mantle of a fireplace. The wood probably came from some tree in a forest in Northern Europe. Tell me it doesn't sound great.

Amen to that !!!!! If I could own (as opposed to actually afford to buy8-[ ) any one guitar in the world, I might indeed opt for May's original Red Special. Long time fan of Queen's shtuff....

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Amen to that !!!!! If I could own (as opposed to actually afford to buy8-[ ) any one guitar in the world' date= I might indeed opt for May's original Red Special. Long time fan of Queen's shtuff....[/quote]

Brian May's sound is signature without a doubt=d>

Hey Guys.

First, let me warn you, I've never played a Les Paul from the 50's, 60's, or 70's, so I'm probably just a mindless twit with no real world experience in the eyes of at least some of you.

That being said, I was wondering about this weight-debate: Some claim extra weight means higher density and thus more sustain, etc., while others beg to differ. Does this weight-is-better-argument only apply to Mahogany? The Tele-players seem to always brag about how lite their ash bodies are and how that's the secret of a good Telecaster. Is that because ash is different? Why wouldn't a heavier ash body increase sustain?

I personally prefer a heavier Les Paul not so much for tone, as for how it feels to play it. My first few guitars were cheap plywood strat copies, so I came to associate light weight guitars with feeling "cheap", where my first "real" guitar was an Epi gold top standard, that weighed a ton. I fell in love with that particular guitar, even though I didn't care for the color. Ever since, I've just always felt that a "good" guitar is a "heavy" guitar. That's why I got rid of the Parkers... They sounded and played phenominally, but they were so lightweight, I couldn't shake the "cheap" feeling. So now, when I pick up a weight relieved or chambered Gibson, it feels cheap to me in comparison to my heavier epis. Supposedly, the weight relieving doesn't affect the tone at all, but I have never a/b compared a solid one with a relieved one to be able to say for sure.

I personally prefer a heavier Les Paul not so much for tone' date=' as for how it feels to play it. My first few guitars were cheap plywood strat copies, so I came to associate light weight guitars with feeling "cheap", where my first "real" guitar was an Epi gold top standard, that weighed a ton. I fell in love with that particular guitar, even though I didn't care for the color. Ever since, I've just always felt that a "good" guitar is a "heavy" guitar. That's why I got rid of the Parkers... They sounded and played phenominally, but they were so lightweight, I couldn't shake the "cheap" feeling. So now, when I pick up a weight relieved or chambered Gibson, it feels cheap to me in comparison to my heavier epis. Supposedly, the weight relieving doesn't affect the tone at all, but I have never a/b compared a solid one with a relieved one to be able to say for sure.[/quote']

I don't mind a heavy guitar, in fact, I feel much more at home with a heavy axe after playing a Natural Swamp Ash Strat for so many years. My 3 Les Pauls range from 8.5 to almost 10 pounds. The Strat is right in the top of that range.

My Christmas present this year was an Fender Squire Tele with an Alder body and Maple neck. I always wanted one, but didn't want to spend the money. It plays well and sustains fairly long, but it's LIGHT. It feels almost like a toy guitar after playing heavies for years. I guess I'll get used to it, but it's a strange feeling.

Density has great effect on absorption of energy from the strings. Weight is generally proportional to density, but I think the cellular properties of the wood account for tonal differences and weight among various types of the same species. Rosewood fingerboards and Maple tops are supposed to increase sustain.

More insults' date=' degrading bullying, almost hateful comments.

This is not a sports car forum, it's an Epiphone forum. We are trying to talk about mahogany and how it sounds.

You are so judgemental you should be a judge or something.

How do you get off talking to people like you do? You talk about the real world. How could you survive like that? People wouldn't put up with this type of thing long in the real world dude.

Why are you insulting me? I'm just like everyone else on this forum. Looking for answers and trying to help others out.

You come off like the sargent of arms of some motorcycle gang or something.

This is supposed to be a cool place to communicate without harrassment and put downs. Don't you get that. We are not all electronic engineers or thugs. We have respect for ourselves and our equipment and expect to be respected. Duncan designed pickups are not junk and some of them are quite nice actually. You make them sound like complete junk but it is perspectival.

Why are you so foul and abusive to people?

Peace dude,

Duffy[/quote']Some folks never learn when to shut up. You're probably a really nice guy, but shut off all the blathering already. And stay out of the kitchen if you can't stand the heat.

I am a nice guy Marxbros, but you have said some not nice things and I don't like being treated badly on a forum that we all should be having a good time on, you included.

We all need to be tolerant to some extent. Tolerant to the heat and tolerant to the views of others and their ideas. Correct them if you think they are wrong but we shouldn't come off like bullies. You are probably a nice guy too, or could be one if you tried a little.

Peace,

Duffy

I don't mind a heavy guitar' date=' in fact, I feel much more at home with a heavy axe after playing a Natural Swamp Ash Strat for so many years. My 3 Les Pauls range from 8.5 to almost 10 pounds. The Strat is right in the top of that range.

My Christmas present this year was an Fender Squire Tele with an Alder body and Maple neck. I always wanted one, but didn't want to spend the money. It plays well and sustains fairly long, but it's LIGHT. It feels almost like a toy guitar after playing heavies for years. I guess I'll get used to it, but it's a strange feeling.

Density has great effect on absorption of energy from the strings. Weight is generally proportional to density, but I think the cellular properties of the wood account for tonal differences and weight among various types of the same species. Rosewood fingerboards and Maple tops are supposed to increase sustain.[/quote']

The odd part is that if a guitar has a lighter body, like a chambered Paul or my squire plywood bullet strat, I feel the weight difference under my fingers on the neck. It's probably more of a perception thing, but if the body is lighter, the neck tends to have a more hollow feel, to me at least. I'm wierd that way, I guess.

Archived