Gibson Brands Forums

Amp help 2!

"Get the amp of the ground" --> haha, funny one... You want me to break my back? That thing is darn heavy.

BTW: I got the advice to remove two of the four power tubes of the amp reducing it from 100 watt to 50 watt which will take some headroom away, making it more usable for my purpose, since I don't really like any pedals with it although the MXR MicroAmp would be great I guess for to make the sound of the amp slightly hotter..

Thanks for your opinions and your help

Nick

Can someone explain to me why that little sh*t amp was louder than my Twin?

My guess is you've never had the amp serviced, and the filter caps and output tubes are crap, among other components. Get the amp serviced.

I got the advice to remove two of the four power tubes of the amp reducing it from 100 watt to 50 watt which will take some headroom away, making it more usable for my purpose,

Wait a minute...the amp's already not loud enough for you, so now you want to cut the output in half? Not quite sure what logic is at work there, but yes, you can reduce the output of the amp by pulling two of the output tubes. Maybe this isn't the right amp for you?

If you pull two power tubes, disconnect one of the speakers also, to get 8ohms. It sounds to me like it needs servicing, as has already been said. I have a Silverface mid to late seventies 100 watt Twin Reverb, and that thing has plenty of punch, enuff to punch thru a brick wall, and not just loud. New tubes, biasing and a cap job will prolly do it wonders. SED =Winged=Cs sound great in that amp, very punchy.

Your inital post stated that you were blown away from a line6; which is a solid state amp and has a master volume control. Hence our first set of posts about increasing volume.

Like I said a couple of posts ago, you need to invest some time into power scaling.

You can drop your power to 50 by pulling 2 tubes, you can yank a speaker out thus reducing more db both were suggested.

You need to get those tubes cooking to get that 'tube' sound and you really only have 2 choices.

1- an attenuator - sucks tone as you turn it down; but will decrease your overall volume to managable levels.

2- power scaling. - doesn't such as much tone as you turn it down; but will decrease your overall volume to managable levels.

first of, I will not sell it. [-( I want that clean fender sound cause I find Marshalls to be sh*t and cliché. There are many blues people who swear on twin reverbs and mine is fine too.. I just never had the oportunity to crank it up that loud cause I live in an appartment building.

I just need to find the tone recipe that will work, that's it.

Reducing output = reducing headroom = No thin sound anymore at bareable volume settings... Got it?

No, I don't get it. That amp should NEVER sound "thin." When was the last time the filter caps were replaced?

I find Marshalls to be sh*t and cliché.

Wow.

There are many blues people who swear on twin reverbs

There are lots of amps that work great for blues, including a few marshalls.

I'm honestly having trouble understanding exactly what you are after.........I'm pretty familiar with most Fender's and what they should sound like and I'm suspect at the condition of your twin...particularly the tubes and filter caps. There isn't a line 6 on the planet that will touch a healthy twin for sheer punch IMHO. Good Luck getting whatever it is that you are after.

The condition of my twin is excellent. I bought it thrid hand and that thing looks like new, for real! The guy told me the tubes weren't that new, but the amp hasn't ever seen a stage and was only used in the studio which one really can tell if he takes a good look at it.

Unfortunately I can't take any pictures at all, because the amp is in the bandroom...

I also have to say, that it's the first time I cranked that amp up, so I need some time to get used to band-surroundings and how I need to set the master volume and the other volume to get that great fender sound...

Another question: Does the reverb have an influence on how loud the amp is, because I kind of like some reverb in my sound?

The condition of my twin is excellent. I bought it thrid hand and that thing looks like new, for real! The guy told me the tubes weren't that new, but the amp hasn't ever seen a stage and was only used in the studio which one really can tell if he takes a good look at it.

Physical appearance really doesn't have anything to do with the electronic condition of the amp. If it hasn't had filter caps replaced in 15 years or more, it's time, and I'd be willing to wager that this, along with weak tubes, is the cause of your thin tone. Aside from that, pushing an amp hard like that with weak filter caps and tubes could very easily result in a blown cap, which could very easily result in a blown output transformer.

Get the amp fully serviced. It's going to cost you probably $200-$300, depending on what it needs, but if you truly like the amp and want to keep it, it'll be the best money you could spend on it, by far. Not only will it sound immeasureably more robust, you'll likely save yourself hundreds in additional repair costs that could very well come as a result of neglect. Until you've done this, you really can't even hold an opinion of the amp, with regard to either tone or output volume, because you've got no idea what it's actually supposed to sound like.

Does the reverb have an influence on how loud the amp is

No, except that it washes the sound out a bit. Your volume issue is with the filter caps and tubes.

Archived