Gibson Brands Forums

valve senior head release update! Geez this is a popular thread!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not Bad .. But I really liked Egnators Rebel 20 .For a few duckets more of course I like the 6V6 to EL84 control plus the 1 to 20 watt ' date='That was sweet.... What was fun was I had band mate play it and messed and tweaked controls for an hour [/quote']

i think i'd rather do some sort of mod to the valve jr... i like class A more than AB. (plus the senior head would probably be a bit of overkill for a practice amp...)

the rebel 20 sounds like fun, i just wish i had "a few duckets more"

heck, i wish i had enough for the valve junior, let alone the valve senior [-o<

It'll be interesting to find out what's under the hood of these amps, and whether or not they're worth tinkering with. I'm not a huge 6v6 fan, however, but if they're running octals already, it might be possible to get them to run a different pair.

It'll be interesting to find out what's under the hood of these amps' date=' and whether or not they're worth tinkering with. I'm not a huge 6v6 fan, however, but if they're running octals already, it might be possible to get them to run a different pair. [/quote']

maybe a tube rectifier... or is 18W still too low for significant SAG =D>

i wonder if the reverb is spring?

oh, and i actually kinda like 6v6... maybe not so much modern chinese 6v6's, but in general, i like the sound...

what would you replace them with?

maybe a tube rectifier... or is 18W still too low for significant SAG :D

Any tube amp will sag when the power supply is pushed hard, if it's got a traditional power supply. Some sag more than others. I've got a '64 Gibson Falcon that clocks at around 8 watts, and noticeably sags, even at very low volumes. My 6 watt (technically, it's actually a bit less than 5) Champ also sags noticeably, as do my EL34 SE Vjr and my "18 watt" conversion Vjr.

i wonder if the reverb is spring?

Almost certainly, though equally as certainly, driven and recovered by op amp, rather than tubes.

oh, and i actually kinda like 6v6...

Lots of people do. My amp tech buddy has been trying for months to convince me to make my next custom build a 2x6v6 creation. My tube of preference is an EL34.

Any tube amp will sag when the power supply is pushed hard' date=' if it's got a traditional power supply. Some sag more than others. I've got a '64 Gibson Falcon that clocks at around 8 watts, and noticeably sags, even at very low volumes. My 6 watt (technically, it's actually a bit less than 5) Champ also sags noticeably, as do my EL34 SE Vjr and my "18 watt" conversion Vjr.

Almost certainly, though equally as certainly, driven and recovered by op amp, rather than tubes.

Lots of people do. My amp tech buddy has been trying for months to convince me to make my next custom build a 2x6v6 creation. My tube of preference is an EL34. [/quote'] would el34 have similar output to 6v6? (and how does it sound, more british or american?)

would el34 have similar output to 6v6? (and how does it sound, more british or american?)

Much more output. A pair of 6v6 in AB will yield 18-22 watts, whereas a pair of EL34s will put out up to around 50. As for tone, Fender used 6v6s in their smallish amps (champs, princetons, and deluxes), whereas Marshall used EL34s.

One question though, since i'm kinda of a tube noob. would 18w be loud enough to gig with?

Depends on how you run the amp. If you like clean headroom, no, it's not likely enough. If you peg the amp to get your distortion from grinding output tubes, 18-22 watts is just about the perfect output range for most typical venues.

Depends on how you run the amp. If you like clean headroom' date=' no, it's not likely enough. If you peg the amp to get your distortion from grinding output tubes, 18-22 watts is just about the perfect output range for most typical venues. [/quote']

ok, well that's good to know. would it be safe to assume then that pushing the output tubes that hard would wear them out faster?

Much more output. A pair of 6v6 in AB will yield 18-22 watts' date=' whereas a pair of EL34s will put out up to around 50. As for tone, Fender used 6v6s in their smallish amps (champs, princetons, and deluxes), whereas Marshall used EL34s.

Depends on how you run the amp. If you like clean headroom, no, it's not likely enough. If you peg the amp to get your distortion from grinding output tubes, 18-22 watts is just about the perfect output range for most typical venues. [/quote']

ah, ok. i'm not really a marshall fan, so...

groove tubes high rated 6v6 S tubes! (highest output 6v6, sounds like 6l6, more headroom if high rated...)

hmm...

and as for gigs... i don't play at any yet, but could tube swapping or an OT change give enough clean headroom for a gig?

or would it be best to get the 50w SO-CAL head and do some swaps to change the tone?

franks.. I played with a 22 watt fender user for years..

small bars and clubs, vets halls, etc..

we played country rock.

he was mostly clean.

and his amp kept right up.

and the guy hauling the twin reverb around was jealous as hell.

Now.. you still have to clarify.

I played in a rock band a couple of years ago.. and I was using a 400 watt bass head maxed out in rooms that weren't much bigger than

my garage.

It was, in my opinion, totally stupid. and the act of a band seeking to hide themselves in volume.

My country rock band didn't do that.

We still cranked it up. you gotta hit the skynrd and the clapton and so forth with some power.

but the deluxe hung right in there with a ds-1 in front of it.. as the user was afraid of using his tubes..

So I have to say.. in 'really' loud bands, no it wont keep up for clean.

But there's no doubt it may not keep up in overdrive either is someone is just pushing watts next to you.

But loud enough cleans? surely 18 watts ought to do it. It did for us for many years.

that guy only broke out his 50 watt marshall 4X12 when we got up to 500 people in front of us.

200--300 seats.. his amp had plenty.

You aren't throwing your amp sound to the back of the room, but those venues want to hear the waitress order anyway.

TWANG

franks.. I played with a 22 watt fender user for years..

small bars and clubs' date=' vets halls, etc..

we played country rock.

he was mostly clean.

and his amp kept right up.

and the guy hauling the twin reverb around was jealous as hell.

Now.. you still have to clarify.

I played in a rock band a couple of years ago.. and I was using a 400 watt bass head maxed out in rooms that weren't much bigger than

my garage.

It was, in my opinion, totally stupid. and the act of a band seeking to hide themselves in volume.

My country rock band didn't do that.

We still cranked it up. you gotta hit the skynrd and the clapton and so forth with some power.

but the deluxe hung right in there with a ds-1 in front of it.. as the user was afraid of using his tubes..

So I have to say.. in 'really' loud bands, no it wont keep up for clean.

But there's no doubt it may not keep up in overdrive either is someone is just pushing watts next to you.

But loud enough cleans? surely 18 watts ought to do it. It did for us for many years.

that guy only broke out his 50 watt marshall 4X12 when we got up to 500 people in front of us.

200--300 seats.. his amp had plenty.

You aren't throwing your amp sound to the back of the room, but those venues want to hear the waitress order anyway.

TWANG[/quote']... now that sounds like good news...

i wonder if a sr. head through a 4x12 with 12au7 tubes and the 6v6 s tubes i mentioned would have enough for where i'd like to gig (if i ever get around to doing that...)

and i wonder if modders will find a way to stick a 5ar4 rectifier in the valve senior... stick a nice new OT in there... :P

i just want $$$ now....

Wow, I'm just hearing about this. Seems like a Fender Deluxe Reverb, only without all the useless multiple inputs and channels. Just a bare bones version that includes a midrange control.

I have been looking for something like this and was considering saving up for a long time and selling off a couple things in order to build an Allen Accomplice kit. However, it looks like with the exception of the RAW and Reveb tone controls, the Accomplice on the surface is very much like this Valve Senior. The guts are entirely different I'm sure, the accomplice being hand built point to point, this is a PC board at this price point, but you could get three of these for the price of one of those. Hmmm.... Well, I'm looking forward to seeing the demos and trying one out.

I still don't believe they'll be here when sweetwater says.. feb 15.

they're supposed to email me when they arrive, but I expected to hear they were definately on the way by now.

I just sold my taylor so they'd better hurry up or I'll have something else!

TWANG

i just wish there was a blues custom head :)

30w class ab 15w class a switchable' date=' all tube signal path, tube rectified... spring reverb tank...

:D[/quote']

That would be very handy. Alot easier to carry.

But then again, I used to be a stack guy, but went combo because I thought that would be easier to carry. Hmmm...the tubes are always greener somewhere else it seems.

Archived