Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fenrirlupus

valve senior head release update! Geez this is a popular thread!

I'll bet they push it off a day at a time on the site...........Epiphone really blew an opportunity on this amp IMHO.

Yeah' date=' I think maybe so. The recession is going to kill it again after the fact too. One of the reasons I want to get one now...I wonder how long they'll keep building them. Epiphone amps are really undeservedly "under the radar"...seems like the only guys who appreciate them happen to own one. Really, I think a case could be made that their amps are better than the bulk of their guitars. If "better" could be quantified that is. If better can be qauntified, I'd also say the BC 30 is as good or better than Fenders within a 200 buck plus or minus price range. And I know many of you guys love your valve jr's like your children too...some maybe more. LOL

Just because of their other 2 amps I'd pick up a senior...IF I had the cash! default_eusa_wall.gif

Yeah' date=' I think maybe so. The recession is going to kill it again after the fact too. One of the reasons I want to get one now...I wonder how long they'll keep building them. Epiphone amps are really undeservedly "under the radar"...seems like the only guys who appreciate them happen to own one. Really, I think a case could be made that their amps are better than the bulk of their guitars. If "better" could be quantified that is. If better can be qauntified, I'd also say the BC 30 is as good or better than Fenders within a 200 buck plus or minus price range. And I know many of you guys love your valve jr's like your children too...some maybe more. LOL

Just because of their other 2 amps I'd pick up a senior...IF I had the cash! default_eusa_wall.gif

i'd say "i don't own one"

but i do have one... solid state, but still epiphone....

i just want tubes! the hammond organ opened my eyes to that...

maybe if i ever get enough cash... valve senior head with a tube rectifier mod... ;P

i'd say "i don't own one"

but i do have one... solid state' date=' but still epiphone....

i just want tubes! the hammond organ opened my eyes to that...

maybe if i ever get enough cash... valve senior head with a tube rectifier mod... ;P[/quote']

By the time you pay for that mod you may as well have gotten a BC 30. You are right on about tubes. And I hear you on the rectifier, man. I love that sound on the BC30-especially in Class A on channell 2 through P90's. It's f******g perfect! Add BBE treble boost and its just 10% more intense. Sustain all day and night. My other effects are just tasty icing on a real fattening cake.

I have painfully acute gas for a valve senior despite the total satisfaction I have with the BC30 though....=P~ I just farted, but you couldn't hear it. It was in #B (yeah, I know that note doesn't exist, but trust me, I found it! Whoah! (rimshot) )

My God though, my wife would be pissed about me buying an amp right now! Far worse then the time I brought home a strat instead of the car I was supposed to buy, even though we're talking much less money this time.. I shouldn't have hit the bar for lunch that day...classic mistake. Timing now is just bad for me and the V. senior...damn](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

.....Epiphone really blew an opportunity on this amp IMHO.

huge +1

Impulse even had me interested in it when the rumours began...' date=' and hell I don't even like Fender clean!

I'll likely still give it a tryout -- but now it would have to be crushingly good for my wallet to open.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

By the time you pay for that mod you may as well have gotten a BC 30. You are right on about tubes. And I hear you on the rectifier' date=' man. I love that sound on the BC30-especially in Class A on channell 2 through P90's. It's f******g perfect! Add BBE treble boost and its just 10% more intense. Sustain all day and night. My other effects are just tasty icing on a real fattening cake.

I have painfully acute gas for a valve senior despite the total satisfaction I have with the BC30 though....=P~ I just farted, but you couldn't hear it. It was in #B (yeah, I know that note doesn't exist, but trust me, I found it! Whoah! (rimshot) )

My God though, my wife would be pissed about me buying an amp right now! Far worse then the time I brought home a strat instead of the car I was supposed to buy, even though we're talking much less money this time.. I shouldn't have hit the bar for lunch that day...classic mistake. Timing now is just bad for me and the V. senior...damn'](*,) #-o](*,)

bc30? umm...

i don't know what that is...

i did a google search... roland blues cube? says it's solid state... and there's a bc30 bass amp... :|

oh... wait... blues custom...

:D

i think i'd rather do some sort of mod to the valve jr... i like class A more than AB. (plus the senior head would probably be a bit of overkill for a practice amp...)

the rebel 20 sounds like fun' date=' i just wish i had "a few duckets more"

heck, i wish i had enough for the valve junior, let alone the valve senior #-o

[/quote']

Yeah, makes me wonder. I know VJr's are supposed to sound good by themselves but isn't modding one of the big appeals? Why buy a Valve Senior when it already has a lot of features that modders are adding?

bc30? umm...

i don't know what that is...

i did a google search... roland blues cube? says it's solid state... and there's a bc30 bass amp... :|

oh... wait... blues custom...

#-o

BC30? It's the big 70 lbs black and tan box in my profile pic. Not sure what it's used for though. Go figure.

Awright, you guys got to me and in a manic moment I ordered a Valve Sr. from Sweetwater. They called today to say it will arrive next Tuesday. My intention is to pair it up with the Valve Jr. cab with the Hellatone 60 watt/16 ohm I got of Craigslist and see what happens. I'll post some MP3s with the EPI Genesis Deluxe I just got.

Gawd I wish I'd never found this site....

I still think lay is right..

and you'll be getting an email saying.. make that thursday.

But I hope not for both our sakes.. I really want someone to get one and talk about it.

TWANG

Guest icantbuyafender

personally, if I were to get a tube amp at this watt range it'd be the blackheart handsome devil. I've just had too many pleasant rock out sessions to break my brand loyalty. although at times I do run my Vjr stack in stereo w/ my lil giant 5 to add a bit more depth, I just think the blackhearts are the perfected artform. they need no modding. but in all fairness I'm all for the Vjr sticking around b/c a friend of mine has done amazing mods on his. the Vjr is a modder's dream. this valve senior better not sound farty out of the box like some Vjrs do. oh well... that's my two cents. :-/

That would be very handy. Alot easier to carry.

But then again' date=' I used to be a stack guy, but went combo because I thought that would be easier to carry. Hmmm...the tubes are always greener somewhere else it seems.

[/quote']

well...

it's faster to carry a combo, but easier to carry each piece of a stack... unless the cab is huge...

BC30? It's the big 70 lbs black and tan box in my profile pic. Not sure what it's used for though. Go figure.

it sounds similar to one of those things you plug certain things into... i don't know...

just like those damn leslie things, i thought they were tables, but they're pretty tall and you can't put your legs under 'em... and what are those holes for?

I'm confused even more now about the Valve Sr.!!!

I s/w my "dude" at Sweetwater at the end of January and he told me only 3 of the heads (not the combo) were pre-ordered and that they were expecting 14 in their first shipment.

I was waiting on my tax refund so I called Sweetwater back the next week to place my order and my "dude" now told me that 4 of the Sr. heads had come in earlier than anticipated and shipped out approx the 1st week of February, 2009 and would be getting the 10 reamining on their order later in the month!!! So they DO exist? Who knows?

I was then told that I was first on the list & I'd have my Senior head as soon as they arrived, which he informed me actually wouldn't be until Feb. 20 and NOT the 15th as to when Sweetwater was actually going to recieve their shipment from Epiphone.

I called last week to make sure that everything was still going as planned and again my "dude" told me yes, the were shipping and should be in on the 20th.

Then early am ON the 20th, the EP Sr. Sweetwater page said,

"New At Sweetwater

We have already placed orders for this new item, and ensured that they are prioritized to take advantage of the manufacturer's earliest shipments. Pre-order with us now, and we'll send it to you as soon as the first batch arrives at Sweetwater."

I called Sweetwater on Friday the 20th and my "dude" was conveniently not there (probably had a day off unless he was ducking Valve Sr. orderers, LOL) and another Sweetwater associate said the shipment had not arrived as of that time but were still scheduled and could still show up, he knows how frustating it is to wait and apologized. Now he siad I was 4th on the list & would get one of the 1st ones when they arrived. I did ask him if they were pre-ordered by people before me and if they DID get a shipment and sent them out to those customers ahead of me and if that's why the status on the website had changed. He neither confirmed or denied it but seemed to indicate they had not arrived yet at all and said NOTHING about any supposed prior shipment earlier in the month.

NOW Brian H posts on here that he ordered his Sr. and was called by Sweetwater on Thursday the 19th to say that he would have his on amp by Tuesday. Does this mean they DID recieve & ship it already OR that they would be finally recieving their shipment on Tuesday?

I'm more confused than ever now and while my experiences with Sweetwater (and my "dude") have been more than postitive,

(the 1st time I placed an order online and they called me the next day at home I thought something was wrong but it's just called "excellant customer service", something I'm not used to, LOL)

I feel like I may be getting the runaround from them.

Or they might also not know what's up with Epiphone and/or got just another partial shipment again and are just trying to be cool and keep the pre-orders they already have, who knows?

But if that's the case, am I being lied to when they say I'm first or fourth or whatever on the list?

Apparently so if you believe Brian H's post!!!

I know I AM calling Sweetwater again Monday to see if my "dude" is there and calrify just what the hell is going on!!!

And if that Brian H dude really got the call from Sweetewater and they shipped his Sr. then I AM going to be pissed!!!

Not at Brian (lucky basterd, LOL) but at Sweetwater for giving me a line of crap & misinformation!!!

Sincerely,

frustrated Jesus

JOS, thanks for the post. I called my dude on Friday too, and he was conveniently not available. I'll be calling him again on Monday too. Don't give up, and let us all know if you get yours first. (I won't be pissed.)

JOS' date=' thanks for the post. I called my dude on Friday too, and he was conveniently not available. I'll be calling him again on Monday too. Don't give up, and let us all know if you get yours first. (I won't be pissed.)[/quote']

LOL, thanks Brian, I sure will!!!

And sorry to everyone for the long post,

-and another one here-

I've just very been anxious to get my hands on this head

(as has EVERYONE on here & throughout the tube community!!!)

since I first heard about it last summer and even more since Sweetwater announced it would be available...well now!!!

And I've been searching the msg boards nightly since my "dude" there said 4 VSr heads were supposedly shipped earlier this month in hopes that someone would confirm it and post a review or just brag about FINALLY getting one!!!

So out of frustration and being bummed out after the Friday thing I finally had to come here and vent a little,

plus I wanted to get the word out about what my Sweetewater dude had said about the 4 heads being shipped, which btw has not been confirmed in my visits to this and other msg boards.

And to the VSr. combo guys, I think I he also might've checked and said they had gotten 4 of them in and out as well, but I might be fuzzy on that since I only focused on what he told me about the VSr. head since that is what I want.

I have a Mashall 1960A cab I plan on using with the VSr. head.

And to any doubters, no, I am NOT just trying to start some rumour, I don't subscribe to that type of drama for kicks,

I'm just telling you all what my "dude" at Sweetwater told me. And besides I was pretty bummed when he said that and when I did the math I realized if I had just pre-ordered when I first called I'd have had that mysterious 4th head!!! THAT'S when I placed my pre-order, just to make sure I got in the line while they were still serving, LOL

But was that true or just a sales ploy since they know the interest is so high for this amp, even in these current economic times?

More likely I think it's Epiphone having troubles getting this amp TO Sweetwater as promised,

BUT it is curious that they are the only major US retailer who EVER lsited it, even keeping it on their site after they knew there would be "exceptionally long delays" for the new Valve products (VJr. Hot Rod & VSr.'s).

I just don't know how to feel since I really dig Sweetwater and my "dude"and I've been very impressed by his and their customer service. I've personally had 2 returns with them that were handled 'no hassle' and with free shipping both ways!!! Makes me wonder how they make a profit!?!

I even got an e-mail at the end of the year from them about Tax tips for musicians which I thought was especially useful since this is something that is overlooked by many musicians and because I've been a tax preparer and am often asked about that stuff by my musician firiends.

Pretty kewl for a retailer, but then again the bigger your refund the more they hope you'll spend with them,

just like me, LOL!!!

OK, I think I've ranted enough!!! I'll let you all know what happens when I call Sweetwater Monday.

I dunno. I keep hearing conflicting concepts. If the interest in the VSr is as high as we'd like to believe, wouldn't Sweetwater commit to more than just a mere baker's dozen, and at only a measly few at a time? What's even more scary is that Sweetwater seems to have the exclusive on the VSr. What if a couple dozen amps is all that Epiphone could manage to get built! :-k :) 8-[

Gil...

JOS, just called Sweetwater - The "word" is that my VS head was shipped from Epiphone on Feb. 15th as part of an order of 12. Arrival at SW should be today and my ETA is now Wednesday. They are aware of the Forum member's skepticism and will call me later today if they don't arrive by 5PM. I am supposedly no.3 on the list.

Hey Brian,

I just called SW and they basically told me the same thing, minus the shipping date from Epiphone and an ETA to my location. You must live close to them, LOL

My "dude" said they know the order HAS been shipped from Epiphone and that they are still expecting in it today or tomorrow, if it doesn't arrive at SW tomorrow they will get a new ETA for arrival from Epi.

I didn't inquire as to where I was on the pre-order list, I was just assured I would get one of the heads in this first shipment.

He also told me about the skepticism on the msg boards and assured me that they are real and have shipped from Epiphone.

So, they DO read or are aware of the msg boards, huh? I wondered about that when I first posted here!!!

Good thing I didn't slam them too bad!!!

Besides, I really dig Sweetwater and highly recommend them to my other musician friends and music students.

And if I really wanted to slam someone then I'd go after Sam Ash or Guitar Center, LOL

I'll update in the next day or so when I know more...

Keeping my fingers crossed!!!

J

I wouldn't blame sweetwater anyway.

epis got the ball, sweetwaters just waiting in the end zone.

No worse feeling for me than to tell a customer something and then have the supplier mess it up.

I'm looking at you WDmusic.com!

TWANG

I wouldn't blame sweetwater anyway.

epis got the ball' date=' sweetwaters just waiting in the end zone.

No worse feeling for me than to tell a customer something and then have the supplier mess it up.

I'm looking at you WDmusic.com!

TWANG[/quote']

Exactly!!!

I think Sweetwater is doing the best they can & that it's Epi that's having the issues.

You know SW WANTS to sell these darn things, especially being the only US retailer to offer it currently.

I don't know who changed this post heading but for the record:

I don't think Sweetwater has "failed" me, at least not yet!!!

I'd like to give them the benefit of doubt that they are just having issues acquiring these amps and are just going by what they are told from Epi.

Since it's after 5pm and I didn't hear from them I'll assume (and Pray since I do have a little pull as Jesus, LOL)

that they will get their shipment in tomorrow and the world will be good once again, LOL!!!

Until then I sit here twiddling my thumbs nervously while looking at the picture of the VSr. and dreaming of tube tones!!!

sincerely,

impatient Jesus (who still loves Sweetwater!!!)

Don'tcha just love these year-long cliffhangers? :D I'd still like to think there's gotta be a whole lot of people out there gonna be scrambling to place orders as soon as someone pops up with the first WOW, I GOT ONE. And then, will there be enough to go around?

JoS, Brian, and Twang, if Epi can't fill the orders, you guys may be the ONLY people we know getting one of these things in the near future. If you get 'em! I bet they don't start really flowing till May, or maybe June! Kinda reminds me

of the VJr amp drought right before the v3 VJr's hit the market!

I can feel the sharks circling.

Do doo,

doo do do.

do do, do do, do do, do do, do do DOOOOO! :-k

Gil...