Gibson Brands Forums

valve senior head release update! Geez this is a popular thread!

I'm also looking forward to this amp, but I have a question: It seems to have more tubes than other 15W combo amps. The Valve Sr has 4 preamp 12AX7s and 2 power amp 6V6s, while a Fender Super Champ has 2 and 1 of each, respectively. What effect will more (TWICE!) pre and power-amp tubes have on sound?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok I am a tube noob too, and i have a black heart little giant , i love it,

I realy like blackhearts stuff, but i here alot about these epi amps, so id like to know besides the price and the 3 more watts how does the valve sr. compare to the blackheart handsome devil? what is the main tonal diff, between the class A and the class AB

I don't know why this thread has now spanned 6 pages; I'd say give it up and move on.

If Epiphone really wanted to deliver this amp they would have, the hype that the VJ amp had a few years a go is waning and they probably don’t see a market in there.

I don’t know what the sales of VJ’s are but I’m sure they’re not the same as two years ago when this forum was just moving with all the new VJ owners.

Time to retire this thread and move on

What about this one?

Vox Night Train 15 and its only $499usd..

http://www.voxamps.com/us/modernclassic/nighttrain/

People are partly discovering what five watts wont do.. esp. in a configuration like the vj.

they love the brag of tube tone.. but the hassle of getting decent reverb, loop, etc.. just too much.

I think the vj has turned into an amp most will like stock..

and a few of us nutcases have fun modding.

The VSr. came too late to ride the coatails of the mod groups.. though it may pick up if ever delivered.. so it will have to stand on it's own

if it appears.

There are far too many guys who hear five watts... well modded or not.. and just don't care that much. That's still where the big market is.

And then there's price... it's harder and harder to get your mod money back on a resale..

If the vj was a great intro to tube tone.. it doesn't necessarily mean it leads people to even more tube tone.. sometimes, it's just the low price.

The Vsr should change that for quite a few though.. if they haven't already moved to another brand.

Very sad thing for epiphone.. but.. maybe I'm wrong!

TWANG

I'm also looking forward to this amp' date=' but I have a question: It seems to have more tubes than other 15W combo amps. The Valve Sr has 4 preamp 12AX7s and 2 power amp 6V6s, while a Fender Super Champ has 2 and 1 of each, respectively. What effect will more (TWICE!) pre and power-amp tubes have on sound?[/quote']

Four pre-amp tubes isn't all that unusual. V1 and V2 are probably the first and second gain stages, V3 likely the phase inverter, and V4 the reverb driver. As to this amps rating of 15 watts...I think Epiphone is underestimating the output a bit. With 2-6V6's and 4-12AX7's, it's more likely that it a 20-22 watt amp.

of course there is' date=' I find tube amps are much more dynamic, and they break up a lot more smoothly. And of course the added warmth of slight soft clipping.

and yes I would bother. If it ain't broke, mod it. hehe.[/quote']

and the debate rages on...

w/e...

break up more smoothly... slight soft clipping... distortion?

well, now that i think of it, my little epi firefly does sort of seem to have a little soft yet harsh distortion-y sound in the background on the clean channel even at low volume, but at maximum volume, the hammond organ has none... 2 6v6's and all... tube rectified... makes me want a 6v6 guitar amplifier... or 6L6... or 6550... then again, 2 6v6's are plenty loud in the hammond... i've gotta find out the wattage on that thing... i think it's 20 watts class AB with 2 12" speakers and an extra 8" speaker for the reverb (separate reverb amp, 2 el84's in that one...) hammond designed them to stay in the linear range of the tubes though, so no sweet sounding distortion from all the vintage tubes... really nice clean sound though :)

well, 18 watt 6v6 amp with spring reverb sounds an awful lot like the hammond... i want one badly, but i have no money...

i wonder how much longer i can keep typing here? i bet i could keep going for a long time if i really wanted to, and i'd feel real great knowing that some loser is going to read every word that i write, even after those words that i wrote that specified what he was going to do. i pity the person who made it past that last period, but inevitably, there will be someone. after this point, further insult will only make them want to read the rest, because not only have i nailed their reactions, but they want to flame me. bang. predicted that one too. what now?

People are partly discovering what five watts wont do.. esp. in a configuration like the vj.

they love the brag of tube tone.. but the hassle of getting decent reverb' date=' loop, etc.. just too much.

I think the vj has turned into an amp most will like stock..

and a few of us nutcases have fun modding.

The VSr. came too late to ride the coatails of the mod groups.. though it may pick up if ever delivered.. so it will have to stand on it's own

if it appears.

There are far too many guys who hear five watts... well modded or not.. and just don't care that much. That's still where the big market is.

And then there's price... it's harder and harder to get your mod money back on a resale..

If the vj was a great intro to tube tone.. it doesn't necessarily mean it leads people to even more tube tone.. sometimes, it's just the low price.

The Vsr should change that for quite a few though.. if they haven't already moved to another brand.

Very sad thing for epiphone.. but.. maybe I'm wrong!

TWANG[/quote']

well, i have yet to get a tube GUITAR amplifier... for now, the distortion pedal will do, because that was cheaper than a valve jr...

but i'm going to want to skip the jr. and go straight to the valve senior. i like 6v6 more, or at least, i like the crappy internet videos of 6v6's more than the crappy internet videos of el84's.

(i know, some of you here may start lecturing on how the quality is better than "in the old days, before the internet or color TV," but i've seen plenty of marx bros. movies that have had better sound quality than these... especially when harpo sits down to play the harp... and yes, he really did play... very well...)

Of course! Those Marx boys could whip out a most serious jam and have you busting a gut at the same time! Takes a lot of highly skillful musicianship just to pull that off, and they made it look easy!

Back then, they had toys like sweet Neumann mics and really great tubes made the old fashioned way, with lots of toxic manufacturing mojo the EPA won't allow today. On the other hand, the caps and resistors made today are a whole lot more reliable, but not all can achieve the tone of the old stuff. Fortunately, there are a few that do, and without the premium NOS price. But when it comes to tubes; sadly, it's the NOS tubes that still have the market backed into a financial corner for the best tone and longest life.

Gil...

Of course! Those Marx boys could whip out a most serious jam and have you busting a gut at the same time! Takes a lot of highly skillful musicianship just to pull that off' date=' and they made it look easy!

Back then, they had toys like sweet Neumann mics and really great tubes made the old fashioned way, with lots of toxic manufacturing mojo the EPA won't allow today. On the other hand, the caps and resistors made today are a whole lot more reliable, but not all can achieve the tone of the old stuff. Fortunately, there are a few that do, and without the premium NOS price. But when it comes to tubes; sadly, it's the NOS tubes that still have the market backed into a financial corner for the best tone and longest life.

Gil... [/quote']

well... i suppose...

but winged c tubes and jj's are pretty good sounding... new sensors are durable (dunno how reliable overall, but durable...)

we need tubes made in America.... people need jobs, we want/need a high quality product... the number of US made tubes steadily shrinks....

remember though, not all NOS is good... In general, yes, but not 100% of the time...

Archived