Gibson Brands Forums

1962 Wilshire Price

floydpink7

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Epiphone/1962-Wilshire.aspx

I found this on the Gibson site. The price they are giving it is $4832. Am I mistaken? Or is this the one they are going to sell as an Epiphone' date=' a low(er) end brand? What do you think?[/quote']

You're correct. The price is at about $4900.

I doubt there will be a "cheapy" version of this released since it's already a Epiphone instead of a Gibson.

However, nothing says they wont do another version of the Wilshire.

This is just the '62 Reissue. A "collector" piece I would expect.

You're correct. The price is at about $4900.

I doubt there will be a "cheapy" version of this released since it's already a Epiphone instead of a Gibson.

However' date=' nothing says they wont do another version of the Wilshire.

This is just the '62 Reissue. A "collector" piece I would expect.[/quote']

the only reason i'd ever want it is the fret access...

but i'm more of a hollowbody kinda guy...

oh, and apparently it's a part of a series of vintage reissues

so keep your fingers crossed, riviera fans. (and keep your wallets full...)

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Epiphone/1962-Wilshire.aspx

I found this on the Gibson site. The price they are giving it is $4832. Am I mistaken? Or is this the one they are going to sell as an Epiphone' date=' a low(er) end brand? What do you think?[/quote']

The idea and perception that "Epiphone" is a "lower-end brand" is based on that they've used the Epiphone brand to sell lower end Asian guitars since 1971...before 1971 the Epiphone brand was quite esteemed and during the 60's when the Wilshire was around, (the Wilshire was a Gibson creation, not a previous Epiphone model) in some instances such as the Epiphone Riviera and Gibson ES-335, essentially equivalent guitars, the Riviera was actually priced more than the ES-335. The latest Gibson version looks like an awesome guitar...unfortunately Gibson has chosen to exploit the market rather than embrace it so the guitars end up being over-priced collector fodder...it's not currently a real strong guitar (or anything) market so Gibson is grabbing its profit margin in a usually economically-unaffected segment of the guitar buyers, the rich and stupid.

Mr.Nelson

The idea and perception that "Epiphone" is a "lower-end brand" is based on that they've used the Epiphone brand to sell lower end Asian guitars since 1971...before 1971 the Epiphone brand was quite esteemed and during the 60's when the Wilshire was around' date=' (the Wilshire was a Gibson creation, not a previous Epiphone model) in some instances such as the Epiphone Riviera and Gibson ES-335, essentially equivalent guitars, the Riviera was actually priced more than the ES-335. The latest Gibson version looks like an awesome guitar...unfortunately Gibson has chosen to exploit the market rather than embrace it so the guitars end up being over-priced collector fodder...it's not currently a real strong guitar (or anything) market so Gibson is grabbing its profit margin in a usually economically-unaffected segment of the guitar buyers, the rich and stupid.

Mr.Nelson[/quote']

right on brother! =D>

Epiphone is not a "Lower-end brand" its only deemed that because its owned (And screwed over) by gibson. some of the standard LPs that are made in china do suck but if you look around at some of them, (Such as the sheratons and rivieras) are genuinely really really good. If you set them up and replace the electrics in them they are even better.

I agree with everyone that the price is outrageous but when they produce a "Limted Edition" version in such limited numbers you can expect a hefty price tag. I'm not very familiar with the Wilshire are these reissues true to the original or does it stray from the original?

Matt

I agree with everyone that the price is outrageous but when they produce a "Limted Edition" version in such limited numbers you can expect a hefty price tag. I'm not very familiar with the Wilshire are these reissues true to the original or does it stray from the original?

Matt

The Wilshire was around from 1959 until 1970 and went through some pretty dramatic changes during that period of time...The one they're reissuing is accurate to a model they had for about a year and a half from 1961 until mid-1962. In mid 1962 the Wilshire was fitted with mini humbuckers replacing the P-90s and the body went through changes after that as well. The model was also a mid-line model equal to perhaps the SG Standard of the day. My problem is that there isn't a lot of complex tooling involved to make that body especially today with cNc manufacturing processes and the rest of the guitar is pretty basic and utilizes common hardware and component parts...the guitar should have been made to street at around $2K or the price of a basic SG Standard Reissue but Gibson isn't selling a lot of guitars these days so they went for the uber-profit margin of the Historical..or Hysterical...Reissues...

Mr.Nelson

Another strange thing, why put this guitar on the web site, as if you can order it as a "new model," when it's so limited,

and expensive. Other "special editions" have never been on the web site, Riviera P-93, for one...or even the current

white "limited edition" Wilshire. Those are a lot more "available" and reasonably priced, for the normal "Epiphone"

customer, than this "Collector's Item!" Weird!!

CB

Archived