Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 500t

Dr. Rock

I plan to put a Gibson 500t in the bridge position of my Epi LP standard. I like the sound of my Gibson V and I know 500t is used on Gibson LP Classic. I play mostly hard rock'n'roll and I like high output PU as they pushed the tubes in amp. What do you think ?

I plan to put a Gibson 500t in the bridge position of my Epi LP standard. I like the sound of my Gibson V and I know 500t is used on Gibson LP Classic. I play mostly hard rock'n'roll and I like high output PU as they pushed the tubes in amp. What do you think ?

As you can see on this chart' date=' the 500T is the "hottest" pickup Gibson makes and while this is fine if you're looking for a high output pickup as you've stated, I personally prefer lower output pickups finding them "less muddy and more articulate" and still more than able to push the front end of the amp with their output (though I do have a '57 Classic Plus in the bridge of a Les Paul which is a pretty warm pickup but not a "hot" pickup by any stretch)...the trade off is as the output increases you lose top end..it's all very subjective and down to personal tastes and all I've offered is my personal opinion. Good luck. Here's the chart:

[img']http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo241/GregNelson_album/Gibsonpups.jpg[/img]

Mr.Nelson

As you can see on this chart' date=' the 500T is the "hottest" pickup Gibson makes and while this is fine if you're looking for a high output pickup as you've stated, I personally prefer lower output pickups finding them "less muddy and more articulate" and still more than able to push the front end of the amp with their output (though I do have a '57 Classic Plus in the bridge of a Les Paul which is a pretty warm pickup but not a "hot" pickup by any stretch)...the trade off is as the output increases you lose top end..it's all very subjective and down to personal tastes and all I've offered is my personal opinion. Good luck. Here's the chart:

[img']http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo241/GregNelson_album/Gibsonpups.jpg[/img]

Mr.Nelson

In my foolish youth I once though output = good sound. I got a Dimarzio XN2..what a mistake. [-o<

I had a 500T in the bridge of my sheri for a while. and I thought it had plenty of highs.. and it replaced a set of les paul custom pickups.

490 and 498 I think?

Anyway, I had plenty of bite and thought it a good trade over the other.

TWANG

If you want a hot pickup' date=' I have a brand new Seymour Duncan Dimebucker I'll sell you for $60. :

I mean... I know where you can get one for $60, since the mods don't like us selling stuff here... [-o< [/quote']

I'll buy that Dimebucker from you if you still have it.

That explains why mine has tone that nothing else I have even comes close to matching.

I thought V-Factors came with 490r/498t setup, but I looked again and I was wrong.

496r/500t...........any replacements I ever make will be with this set, they SMOKE!

GarysCam027.jpg

Archived