Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson L-130 advice sought

onewilyfool

Hi Guys, I'm seeing a used Gibson L-130 tomorrow, and would appreciate any help or advice anyone may have on this model. It has Englemann Spruce top and Bubinga back and sides......Any comments on the bubinga tone wood, or what a good used price would be for one very good condition, would be appreciated...

Had one, sold it, miss it. It has the reputation for being one of Gibson's better acoustics in the past 10 or 15 years, and I agree. Just a clever combination of woods and features. I liked the shorter scale and smaller neck than some fingerstyle guitars have; it reminded me of a Les Paul that way! Easy to hold and handle thanks to the modified 00 size, but lots of projection with the deep body. It wasn't as snappy as a smaller fingerstyle guitar, but it was just fine, and it didn't get flubby when picked hard, either. I recommend having the TUSQ (?) saddle replaced with bone -- I had to with mine because the intonation was bad, and the tone improved as well. I didn't use the under-saddle pickup much, but it liked to feed back when I played amplified at home. Deep body to blame for that? A cleverer EQ-er would have been able to fix that, I assume. I 've seen them go for between $800 and $1300 on eBay lately -- the $1300 was an anomaly, I assume -- a sudden price jump of the sort that happens on eBay now and then. It's a really nice guitar. the only thing I didn't like was the slightly ornate appointments (mustache bridge, swirly pickguard), but that's just me. When I consider that a used L-00 of the same vintage is the same price, I can't imagine anyone buying the L-00. Those sound dead to me compared to this one.

• 5 years later...

i've had mine for a good 6 years or so, and was my main stage guitar, and used it quite a bit for my CD. No matter where i've played i have gotten the highest praises from sound techs and musicians that "it's the best sounding plugged in acoustic I have ever heard." Actually i bought it slightly used, and do not know if the system was factory installed, or after market.

The extra body depth is a little cumbersome for my small frame (5'6") when standing but the overall body size suits me better than a dread. However, for the past year the L-130 has fallen out of favor for me and a Tennessee Crafters Studio 12 fret has become my true love, workhorse, and all around utility guitar. So my L-130 is up for grabs.

Whoa, back up Jack. Seems to me I recall a recent post - something about your Gibson family being complete? Wily, your an Oak.

So now that we can move on and back into reality. Sorry no Woof Words of Wisdom - I never even played an L-130. For whatever reason though, I find the word Bubinga funny

Hi Guys, I'm seeing a used Gibson L-130 tomorrow, and would appreciate any help or advice anyone may have on this model. It has Englemann Spruce top and Bubinga back and sides......Any comments on the bubinga tone wood, or what a good used price would be for one very good condition, would be appreciated...

In case folks didn't notice, Zulukid responded to a five year old thread. Wily bought the L-130 -- or possibly some other L-130 -- and the two of them lived happily ever after.

-- Bob R

In case folks didn't notice, Zulukid responded to a five year old thread. Wily bought the L-130 -- or possibly some other L-130 -- and the two of them lived happily ever after.

-- Bob R

LOL! Never even noticed!

-- Bob R

Curses - foiled again. Sorry Wily, you Oak status is in tact.

Well,it says "newbie' and was his first post. So, please give the guy a break. And I recognize every detail from his post, so I know who the guy is-he's my musical partner and very best friend in the whole world. I imagine he was doing a search on this model because he was contemplating putting the guitar up for sale, which he has now done. I am thinning my own herd and don't currently have the money or I'd probably buy it myself. Anyway, please try to be a bit more understanding. We all make mistakes. I know I make plenty. And it's not the first time someone has resurrected an old post. Thanks.

Larry

Well,it says "newbie' and was his first post. So, please give the guy a break. And I recognize every detail from his post, so I know who the guy is-he's my musical partner and very best friend in the whole world. I imagine he was doing a search on this model because he was contemplating putting the guitar up for sale, which he has now done. I am thinning my own herd and don't currently have the money or I'd probably buy it myself. Anyway, please try to be a bit more understanding. We all make mistakes. I know I make plenty. And it's not the first time someone has resurrected an old post. Thanks.

Larry

Right on Larry, though to be fair, I didn't think anybody here really said anything critical of Zulukid. They just pointed out the fact that the OP is an oldie, without any harshness. Wily, on the other hand, has come in for some ribbing. And of course, we're all waiting with bated breath for the Gibson purchase which will see him falling off the wagon.

Right on Larry, though to be fair, I didn't think anybody here really said anything critical of Zulukid. They just pointed out the fact that the OP is an oldie, without any harshness. Wily, on the other hand, has come in for some ribbing. And of course, we're all waiting with bated breath for the Gibson purchase which will see him falling off the wagon.

Sorry, I guess I was being overly sensitive because he's such a close friend. I guess I'm not in on why Wily needs some ribbing, but all's fair right?

Engleman and Bubinga .... sounds a bit too metrosexual for a Gibson..

EA I suggest you don't check one out because, even though it's not of the traditional Gibson design, it does still say Gibson on the headstock and is an amazing guitar. Got a feeling if you played one you'd immediately want to add to your ever growing Gibson collection LOL.

I've been wondering for awhile myself why they would discontinue such a great instrument. Maybe it didn't sell all that well and if you look at what Gibson now offers, it's pretty much all their traditional models so maybe that's it. I wish everyone could play one once, at least the one that zulukid owns. He's put this guitar up for sale several times and always seems to end up changing his mind. But we've both been taking the plunge toward smaller bodied guitars (triple 0/ L00 size)lately so maybe he'll go through with it this time.

Sorry, I guess I was being overly sensitive because he's such a close friend. I guess I'm not in on why Wily needs some ribbing, but all's fair right?

Oh it's just that Wily went on record to the effect that he has all the Gibsons he could ever want. His past record suggests that he may change his mind. We had a poll about the matter in place of a feasibility study.

I really love the look of the L 130-150. I love that old L1 body shape, and it might be interesting to try something other than mahogany. Had I only the ready money, which I do not...

• 5 months later...

Yes, this is an old thread, but I am excited. I am picking up one up tomorrow. Looking forward to playing after all of the really great reviews! I was looking for a J 45, but the guy who had one, sold it, and asked if I'd be interested in the L-130, I researched and said yes!

Yes, this is an old thread, but I am excited. I am picking up one up tomorrow. Looking forward to playing after all of the really great reviews! I was looking for a J 45, but the guy who had one, sold it, and asked if I'd be interested in the L-130, I researched and said yes!

Nice! Where did you manage to find one?

I to would like to own one someday. Thinking of buying one on ebay later this year.

Congrats..........a sound like no other Gibson acoustic! Hope it's set-up and ready to play. ... What year did you get?

photo8.jpg

Such cool little guitars. That picture of yours vacamartin makes it look like a mini SJ-200.

Do you have any other pics of the guitar? Would love to see a close up of the top (pickguard).

these are what I have...no close ups of the pic guard.....some call it a "mini jumbo"...

photo7.jpg

photo6.jpg

image1.jpeg

Congrats..........a sound like no other Gibson acoustic! Hope it's set-up and ready to play. ... What year did you get?

photo8.jpg

Not sure of the year, but I think it is fairly recent. Looking at the pictures, it appears to be in excellent condition. I will check the serial number when I get it home.

post-5438-055186500 1388145239_thumb.jpg

Not sure of the year, but I think it is fairly recent. Looking at the pictures, it appears to be in excellent condition. I will check the serial number when I get it home.

From the thumbnail it looks like a beauty! Let me know what you discover with the serial #. Best, J.d.

Archived