Gibson Brands Forums

Ever been totally satisfied with you guitars? I finally am.

jeffguitar

Hi guys.

Thought I would post something unusual for me. I am a working musician and I finally have the two guitars that I lover dearly, and it's strange for me to finally be able to say that.

A few years ago I got the Strat of my dreams when I purchased a Jimmie Vaughan model off white guitar. I instakked some fender custom shop 54's in it, and it has been my baby ever since that time. It had the middle tone pot set to the bridge pup instead of the middle pup right from the factory. This enables me to use my inbetween positions and still get the quacky sound without losing the bite. It has the soft V shape neck, vintage bridge and saddles and my strings hardly ever break because they are smooth and round, almost like having String saver saddles but without the tone loss from them. It's just the best strat I have ever owned, perfect for what I had always wanted, and I installed my 54's in a shell guard.

A year later, I started to pine away for a Humbucker guiatr. I first purchased an Epiphone intage SG for $249. I ended up not likng it that well because it had just too dark of a tone. Well, a few montha later I am looking at ZZounds.com and they hae one left, b stock, at $399.00 an Epiphone les Paul Ultra. The frst model. I snatched it up before someone else could order it. I then got on Ebay and ordered a set of Gibson 57 classics. I instaled them and got to see how the Ultra is carved out inside to make it light. When I plugged t in, I was amazed at the quality and feel. the 57's sounded so sweet. This guitar is one of the best LP's I have ever craddled in my arms, and the 57's fit it like a glove.

Finally, after all these years, I have two stage guitars, both the mid priced guitars from Fender and Gibson, around $500 dollars with good pups in both, and I have never been happier. Just thought I would scream it from the mountain tops, I finally love my guitars and will be satisfied with them for years and years. My search is finally over. Now, If I could just afford a fender blues delux amp, and one expensive overdrive in front of it, and I'll be in tne heaven.

Have a great day.

Hmm, I have video of the three guitars. First is the Vintage SG that I ended up trading to my nephew.

The SG really, i should have kept the sg too, It sounds better than I remember in this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbQnoUXzP5U

The Ultra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqR1CVD7rJM

The strat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bo6qovjO8Y

I'm in a spot now where I feel pretty good about my available choices of guitar sounds. Although I still GAS for certain guitars, I don't have the urge to pull the trigger on a purchase. I'm actually considering selling a few of the lesser played models.

Ever since I took up playing bass, I've been GASsing for a really nice bass guitar. Something that will be "The One".

Although, in a similar quest for "The One" guitar, I ended up with 17 of them. See where this may lead? :)

It's cool. You know my sheri has been with me so long, and I'm so used to it, and happy with it, I know I'll be dead and it will still be right here, and played until the last second, I hope.

And yet, working on that brazil strat, I know I'm really really going to hate to see it go.

Looking back, I once had a wonderful p bass.. had an aftermarket body made of one chunk of mahogany.. and I still miss it.

So it seems like GAS is not only always there.. but retroactive.

Still, there's satisfaction at the same time.

we're very weird creatures.

TWANG

You're lucky.

I just had one of the guitars that "called" to me vanish out of the shop I admired it in.

Cream coloured strat. Perfect cutaway, piece of custom pinup art on the back, the thing was a piece of work.

I hesitated, and now it's gone. Wah wah.

Well done man, I hope we all get the "perfect collection"

I get to a point with each guitar I buy where I feel I've modded it to be the best guitar it can be, but I am never satisfied with the amount of guitars I have. Right now, I feel my epi and the dragon LP copy are both at about 110%, they are both amazing to play and sound excellent. The others are okay, but could all still use some improvements... Some more than others. The PRisn't just needs the trem blocked off so it doesn't move, then that one's there too. The rest are just still lacking something... I'm interested to see what if any mods I decide to make to the Gibson traditional when I get it out of layaway... And I already have my eyes set on another guitar after that one. I'm insatiable, really... I actually envy people like the OP who can be perfectly happy with just one or two guitars. If I have to be addicted to something though, better guitars than drugs, right?

guitarticocean -- welcome to the forum!

For quite awhile my "signature" here was: Find what you love. Love it for what it is. Love it for all it's worth.I coined it specifically in reference to guitars/gear. In my experience the happiest musicians are those who concentrate upon themselves for finding tone and making great music rather than clammoring about for gear. Quality gear is indispensible, but gear gassers always seem to doom themselves to tail-chasing.

Nailing down the right gear really isn't all that hard. But you have to first take the time to identify exactly what tones/styles are right for you and for what you want to play. I suppose the problem is, that takes some experience, and no one has experience when they are starting out. Still, in 13+ years I've only owned/still own 3 (acoustic, strat, Epi Elite LP). And I am still finding new ways to communicate with/through them to an audience!

When/if I buy another, it will be a 335 style to add a new dimension, but despite having tried several nothing seems to be a perfect fit..., so then I go back and work even harder at finding the exact tone I want from what I have, and dearly love.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Archived