Gibson Brands Forums

Which bands/artists defines your playing style.

Dr. Rock

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MY first influence was Chet Atkins, but I couldn't play anything he did. Then, the Beatles hit, followed by the Stones. Jimi Hendrix took over my mental chops and taught me lots of bluesy rock licks that were refined by Duane and Dicky. Carlos Santana is in there somewhere in the mix.

Modern day players include Warren Haynes and Dangerous Dan Toler.

Coheed & Cambria are my ultimate inspiration. The lead guitarist Travis Stever first inspired me to pick up a guitar.

Davenport Cabinet.

I've 'evolved' towards acoustic and clean electric tones lately, so I posted acoustic versions. I originally picked up a Les Paul so I could play Coheed's more metallic songs.

Look man here's the thing I will steal from anybody if I'm looking for a certain feel or style to fit a song. It's not unusual for someone to ask me "Did I hear a little Clapton in that solo or hey that sounded very Pink Floydish" (rest assured I'm not comparing myself to them at all). Of course dailing in the right amp setting and playing a certain guitar(strat or les paul/solid or hollowbody) often dictates the style I play in.

simple answer- Beatles

Too many influences...Arrrghhhh! My first concert ever (back in the day) was Bloodrock - still creeps me out to hear "DOA" (oh, cr@p! Now I'm gonna die!), but the first time wanting to play the guitar really "clicked" was

at a UFO concert, front of crowd at stage, watching Michael Shenker whipping out leads. I was hooked

at that point. I like to play the lead runs from Queen, Skynyrd, ZZ, night ranger, Queensryche, Winger, etc.

I suppose 80's Rock and metal is my fave. Just melodic, well crafted. No speed metal for me.

I WAS impressed after seeing a youtube video of a guy named "Funtwo" playing Pachabel's "Canon in D" ROCK.

I'm currently learning that piece.

725870_1ac5_625x1000.jpg

Big Country....Stuart Adamson and Bruce Watson so under rated as guitarists.

This is soooooooo true.

Really it is Adamson who is the guitar genius. The intricate guitar lines and patterns he came up with to play in tandem with Watson are at times mind blowing. Not just that, he was also a guy who was always seeking interesting guitar sounds (E-bow, that guitar break in "Chance," obviously the 'bagpipe' sound...).

Plus his riffs - the riff in "Inwards," for example - are among the best in rock music. Adamson was so complex with his guitar composition that he just took that "Inwards" riff and made it but a small part of that song! (Had Keith Richards come up with that riff he would have made the whole song about that riff a la "Satisfaction.")

Yup, you got it. The guitars in Big Country can amaze even someone who has grown up on a steady diet of Hendrix, Django, Clapton, Yngwie, Page, Eddie.... Adamson is really in those guys' league.

Hard to say. Probably Tiny Tim.

Pretty much my style is technical limitations concentrated but very eclectic.

I love and have been influenced by:

The no B.S. expressive, raw power of guys like Son House, Lighnin' Hopkins, Albert King, and Guitar Slim.

The stripped down double lead notes and multiple note bends of Chuck Berry.

The angular, chromatic playing of Mike Bloomfield.

The sportin' right hand of Blind Blake and Rev. Gary Davis

The sock-rhythm guitar of Ted Bogan.

Not your imagination. Big Guitars. I'm a fan of Guitars, and a fan of "photoshopped"

pictures - you can say more in one glance than in a half page of print, can make

a politically incorrect statement visually, etc. So, combine the TWO and... You'll see.

I left the website on the pix so anyone could go there and find their own if they so

choose..........

SLAYER

801784_da12_625x1000.jpg

801734_0c0a_625x1000.jpg

Notice anything unusual about this one?

718845_42a9_625x1000.jpg

726374_a355_625x1000.jpg

941957_0a93_625x1000.jpg

Archived