Gibson Brands Forums

looking to buy Valve Jr. Half Stack

billy9205

Im somewhat of a beginner at guitar and i like to play more blues and classic rock so i was looking into getting this Half stack. I can't afford much so i was ether going for the Valve Jr. half stack or the Blackheart Bh5h Bh112 half stack for $100 more. I have an SG standard and i figured it would sound good through a Gibson made amp. Any suggestions? And i was looking into buying a modded valve jr. head.

you see modded heads and combos available on ebay now and then.

sometimes the price is way good.. sometimes it's something half modded. so you have check 'em out.

Best way is to post in here and get opinions before bidding.

You might also find someone here or at sewatt.com to build you one.

your sg will sound just fine even through the stock vj.. and if you read about the blackheart owners reorts, I think you'll agree it's

your best bet.

If you want to go modded.. ask around about good mods to have.. something that goes with your style and needs.

Basically, the stock head is darn good.. but with some voltage correction and a little voicing.. even better.

you don't need to go whole hog.. some do and with great results..

but good volts, a little tweaking here and there.. maybe a new ot..

still under the hundred buck difference between it and a blackheart and much more VJ!

TWANG

I normally am a Blues/Classic Rock kinda guy too. I love my Valve Junior V3. Tried out 2 different Blackheart's but they really didn't offer any better sound than my VJ produces. I recommend a V3 VJ - add a few pedals and you'll be amazed - although right outta the box it amazed me and still does... No mods here and I can assure you it's a class act amplifier that FLAT OUT RAWKS. Screw Blackhearts. I have a couple old tube amps I really love too but I'll stick with Epi Valve Junior over a Blackheart any day of the week. If ya'll love BH's that's fine - perhaps you can find a BH forum to tout it's praises as I find it "bad taste" and a tad bit disrespectful to come in Epi Forums and recommend another amp. That's my opinion and actually I'm entitled to it. =P~

I have to recommend the stock Valve Junior too. Right out of the box, it is about the best thing going on for a vintage SE sound, and certainly the price is right. If you need to mod it, or fix it later, you'll find a ton of information on the internet. That can be a real educational process well worth the price of admission alone. Several online dealers ship free on the head, and charges $10 for the cab. They usually have them in stock.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Valve-Jr-HalfStack?sku=481475

I would say buy the Valve Junior. Just picked mine up yesterday. Best money I have ever spent. I have an overdrive pedal that I thought I would have to use...but found that just about everything can be dialed in just using the tone and volume controls on my guitar.

With V3 release, Epi fixed the OT voltage problem (mentioned by TWANG). IMO a V3 is the best way to start b/c even if you want to mod it later you've already saved the $$ of a new OT.

I bought my 1st V3 thinking that future mods were a possibility. I have since heard a few modded ones, but for my blues-rock tone, a tube upgrade was all I have needed. I added a backup V3 for gigs and regularly use a reverb, compressor, and overdrive and sometimes a POD. It's a terrific little amp (and still a bargain) with BIG FAT TONE.

As for the Blackheart -- maybe okay for those who prefer a more Fenderish voicing -- and who don't already have a bad taste from wasting money on other crappy Crate-made products.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Archived