Gibson Brands Forums

Fret wear, how long do they last?

fzrkev

This is classic Nelson behavior.

The more I see of this approach' date=' the more I am convinced that Nelson and Marx are indeed one and the same.

[/quote']You really need a cork. You want to talk about classic behavior, you're just itching to stir up something...then when the crap flies you'll be the one crying about it all.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You really need a cork. You want to talk about classic behavior' date=' you're just itching to stir up something...then when the crap flies you'll be the one crying about it all. [/quote']

You get what you deserve. I believe you orchestrated this whole thread to get back at Steven Lister after he hinted at how he toys with you on a recent thread.

Your behavior is not on and, like many others on here, I'm prepared to give you back what you dish out and some more.

If I get caught in the cross fire, I can live with it.

Next time you kick off, I'll be doing the same again.

You get what you deserve. I believe you orchestrated this whole thread to get back at Steven Lister after he hinted at how he toys with you on a recent thread.

Your behavior is not on and' date=' like many others on here, I'm prepared to give you back what you dish out and some more.

If I get caught in the cross fire, I can live with it.[/quote']Fine I'm game...Go ahead, tell me everything you know. It'll only take about 10 seconds.

Okay' date=' time to start taking bets on thread length. It's gonna be difficult because there's only two of you.[/quote']

I'm done Jeffery. At least on this thread anyway.

You could always give your friend Mr. Creosote a wafer thin mint. That would see us both off.

Okay guys, you've agreed to disagree. I'll skip that wafer-thin mint for now.

And for the record, I don't think Marx is the same as Nelson. Completely different kinds of....uh.....remarks. Marx is more like an x-rated cast of M*A*S*H throwing out wisecracks. Nelson goes for the type of remark that starts machete fights in Latin America. If I'm going to be insulted, I prefer being trashed by Marx. And Marx doesn't trash someone with every post. He is selective. Nelson is an affirmative action, equal opportunity trasher.

I hope I've cleared that up!

Pleeeeeeze MarxBros and epiplayer :-$ ........

Can/will the both of you please quit contaminating threads? This Epi forums isnt meant for your continuous verbal sparring in other members threads.=P~

Why don't one of you compose a special thread where the both of you can throw sand at each other.

Okay guys' date=' you've agreed to disagree. I'll skip that wafer-thin mint for now.

And for the record, I don't think Marx is the same as Nelson. Completely different kinds of....uh.....remarks. Marx is more like an x-rated cast of M*A*S*H throwing out wisecracks. Nelson goes for the type of remark that starts machete fights in Latin America. If I'm going to be insulted, I prefer being trashed by Marx. And Marx doesn't trash someone with every post. He is selective. Nelson is an affirmative action, equal opportunity trasher.

I hope I've cleared that up![/quote']Anyone that goes back about 10 years on the old Epi forum and the Bob Skippy days probably knows Nelson and I, and the fact that we actually fought pretty good over several things there, but in the end we ended up seeing more things eye to eye and I now have a hell of a lot of respect for him.

I like nickel coated strings - they feel nice and buttery soft. Plain feel rough in comparison.

I like softer frets - they go well with the softer feeling strings.

I've had a guitar refretted with Dunlop 6100 Hard New-Silver and didn't like the feel at all. I got the guy to re-do the job with Dunlop 6265 Nickel-Silver Soft and much preferred it.

If it feels good TO YOU - that is all that matters.

You make your music in your way using what you choose to suit you - not other posters on this forum.

Now go play some music =D>

Anyone that goes back about 10 years on the old Epi forum and the Bob Skippy days probably knows Nelson and I' date=' and the fact that we actually fought pretty good over several things there, but in the end we ended up seeing more things eye to eye and I now have a hell of a lot of respect for him. [/quote']

What a beautiful sentiment...

Arrival...Departure....LMAO! Oh, that's a classic! :-k No offense to you Epiplayer, but you really did ask for that.

Page 4 and a thousand insults later, I dont even care about fret grade anymore at this point. I'm just going to play the damn thing until they are little nubs on the fingerboard...and then hit Marx up for a fret job.

I would ask that you all stop bickering though. I pulled a muscle in my back over the weekend and the laughter is putting me in excruciating pain. Please stop...for the sake of my pain receptors...I beg of you!

Seriously...ow...

JeffrySmith, Is that Alan Alda M*A*S*H* or Donald Sutherland M*A*S*H*? I just need to know how to envision this properly.

Arrival...Departure....LMAO! Oh' date=' that's a classic! =D> No offense to you Epiplayer, but you really did ask for that.

Page 4 and a thousand insults later, I dont even care about fret grade anymore at this point. I'm just going to play the damn thing until they are little nubs on the fingerboard...and then hit Marx up for a fret job.

I would ask that you all stop bickering though. I pulled a muscle in my back over the weekend and the laughter is putting me in excruciating pain. Please stop...for the sake of my pain receptors...I beg of you!

Seriously...ow...

[/quote']

Arrival.........

You're right there RTH. I did let myself get wound up and then get progressively sucked in. I'm not the first and won't be the last for sure. Apologies to the reasonable majority for going OTT on this one. I aim to please on the humor though and that will continue. I'll just avoid getting pulled in to that big exchange. Marx/Nelson always has/have to have the last word.

........departure.

Arrival...Departure....LMAO! Oh' date=' that's a classic! =D> No offense to you Epiplayer, but you really did ask for that.

Seriously...ow...

JeffrySmith, Is that Alan Alda M*A*S*H* or Donald Sutherland M*A*S*H*? I just need to know how to envision this properly.[/quote']

Alda Mash. Sutherland wasn't sarcastic enough.

• 2 months later...

Everyone seems to be whining about fret wear as if it was ruining their guitar somehow. What's the deal?

Not one person said that fret wear was affecting their sound at all.

I just got a new Epi, and guess what? I'm starting to grind into the frets. So what?

The best sounding guitar I've got has been played so hard that I've not only worn serious grooves into the first three frets, I've even carved out noticeable depressions in the rosewood!

Not only do these changes not hinder my tone and playing - they improve it. My guitar is just a tool to create the sound I love. If grinding a hole underneath my G string (that sounds strange, you know what I mean) is a natural consequence of "Are You Gonna Go My Way" why fuss?

I guarantee SRV's guitars were worn to the bone! Customize your axe, it's not supposed to sound generic!

Everyone seems to be whining about fret wear as if it was ruining their guitar somehow. What's the deal?

I guarantee SRV's guitars were worn to the bone! Customize your axe' date=' it's not supposed to sound generic![/quote']

Since SRV and Jimi Hendrix both used to apply superglue to their bleeding fingers, we can assume that they played hard with the left hand. I think we can also assume significant fret wear in both cases, with little degradation of the tone. Their guitar techs probably stayed busy dressing and replacing frets.

• 5 months later...

Hi guys, I bought a new Epi LP 11 days ago and have been playing it and occasionally the 1st string would catch, but I presumed it was catching on the edge of the neck. Well, I had a close look at the fretboard and I see grooves cut into several frets under the 1st string alone! WTF?? Im taking the guitar back under warranty tomorrow and am wondering if anyone else here has had similar problems? Cheers :-

Fret Not!!!

USA or ASIAN?

poorfretwork.jpg

THESE frets are fine' date=' but the fingerboard is wearing out.....

[img'][/img]jack-solo-J5211-pic2.jpg

Smile, gentlemen, smile.

996640_c001_625x1000.jpg

Animal....

Is that kid with the ears....

Ross Perot?

The only guitar of the 4 electric guitars I own with noticable string grooves in the frets is my Fender Stratocaster. My Chinese Epiphone and my made from parts Telecaster and my Chinese SG copy Jay Turser are just fine.

OP, what kind of strings are you using?

mark

Archived