Gibson Brands Forums

Speaker suggestion

51xt33

I currently have a 12" Garage Warehouse British Lead, 16 ohm and like 75 watts. I love it's tone for lead and certain styles of music that I play. What I am wanting to do is pair this with another 12" speaker for my VJrs to drive. I want the second speaker to have more low end so it will compliment the British Lead. 1 VJR will drive the BL cab and the other will drive the new speaker/cab. Kinda wanting to hear back from people who have actually owned or played the speaker they are recommending.

Here is my planned setup:

guitar going into my --->HAFLER T-3 preamp, --->stereo out into my PODx3 Live with the lead side having a compressor/ boost so the British Lead can be more prominent during solos/leads ---> stereo back into the Hafler T-3 ---> then out to each VJr and it's cab.

Thanks

Speakers are a huge part of your tone and you are right to ask questions and shop. Searched for almost a year myself looking for just the right 2 pairings for VJr. into 1 or 2 2x12 cabs (sometimes w/POD but not running stereo). First I tried out several cabs at music stores to give me a feel for where to start. Then, here's what I ended up with and why:

Cab 1 = Peavey Blue Marvel (Weber made) and Eminence Cannabis Rex (8 ohm 60 - 75 watts)

This is my main cab for blues-rock tones (J.L. Hooker/Led Zepplin/CCR) -- a ton of greasy low end in the C. Rex that accentuates the already low-mid niche where the Blue Marvel excels. No screaming solo highs, with this pair it's all about soul and grit and groove. Great for cranked Marshall "woman tone" type material. I would say that either would compliment your British Lead very well by filling in the lows you seek and while thrilled with the versatile B-Marvel, I dearly love the thumping greasy gritty lows of the hemp coned C. Rex.

Cab 2 = Celestion Vintage 30 and Eminence Legend 10" (8 ohm forgotten the wattage but you can check website specs.)

Here's where I go for rock solos and Brit Rock tone. Both have a jangly presence that work nicely with single-coil or bridge pup solos and are geared more for rock than blues -- Rolling Stones/Fleetwood Mac/White Stripes type material. While the Vintage 30 might work okay (or a Greenback) I think you can find a better balance with something else. From what I tried I would recommend Eminence as doing the best job these days of producing a wide range of multi-voiced high quality loudspeakers.

I also tried/rejected/sold these:

Celestion G12T-75 = too tin can like for me

Celestion Greenback = same

Eminence Texas Heat = good but sounded to SRVish

Eminence Ragin Cajun = loved the funk but not enough thump

a couple of Webers but I have forgotten the names

Jensen (their famous one) nothing doing, sounded like the crappy old surf-rock car stereo Jensens I owned in the '80s.

Have fun shopping -- hope all this helps you a bit.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

If you are going to use that much processing in front of your valve jr's you might want to use more of a modeling amp type speaker rather than one that has more of a "colored tone" as many of the celestion type speakers do.

When plaing at home, I only use the POD for the FX. The amp modeling is turned off. I only use the amp modeling at church where I go driect into the sound board.

Steven

The cannibis rex is one of the speakers that I was considering. Thanks for all the input, it really helped.

Celestion G12H has strong lows. A lot will depend on the cabinet as well' date=' though. A closed cabinet of decent size with be far more rich in lows than a small, open-back cabinet. [/quote']

Yup the G12H and the Vintage 30 are a nice combination........kinda smooths out that annoying upper-mid honk that vintage 30's can have alone.

Thanks a lot. I plan on making the second cabinet similar to the cab I made for the British Lead. That cab is about 2 inches wider, 2 inches deeper, and 4 inches taller than the VJr 1X12 cab. I made it from 3/4" birch plywood.

Would you recommend any changes to the second cab if I go with either the Cannibis Rex or the Celestion G12H.

BTW, I also have a cab that I made to the same dimensions as the first except it is a foot taller.In it I have the 8" and 12" Eminence speakers that come in the VJ combo and cab. I use to use it with my VJr and PODx3 with the amp modeling turned on. I still from time to time will use it because I have tones modeled that give me the classic David Gilmour, or Eric Johnson, or some really good metal tones that I can play a low volumes.

I currently have a 12" Garage Warehouse British Lead' date=' 16 ohm and like 75 watts. I love it's tone for lead and certain styles of music that I play. What I am wanting to do is pair this with another 12" speaker for my VJrs to drive. I want the second speaker to have more low end so it will compliment the British Lead. 1 VJR will drive the BL cab and the other will drive the new speaker/cab. Kinda wanting to hear back from people who have actually owned or played the speaker they are recommending.

Here is my planned setup:

guitar going into my --->HAFLER T-3 preamp, --->stereo out into my PODx3 Live with the lead side having a compressor/ boost so the British Lead can be more prominent during solos/leads ---> stereo back into the Hafler T-3 ---> then out to each VJr and it's cab.

Thanks[/quote']take a look at eminence's website... listen to the demos for all of the 12" speakers (or use the tone chart)

get a cab with that speaker or stick it in a cab.

Thanks a lot. I plan on making the second cabinet similar to the cab I made for the British Lead. That cab is about 2 inches wider' date=' 2 inches deeper, and 4 inches taller than the VJr 1X12 cab. I made it from 3/4" birch plywood.

Would you recommend any changes to the second cab if I go with either the Cannibis Rex or the Celestion G12H.

BTW, I also have a cab that I made to the same dimensions as the first except it is a foot taller.In it I have the 8" and 12" Eminence speakers that come in the VJ combo and cab. I use to use it with my VJr and PODx3 with the amp modeling turned on. I still from time to time will use it because I have tones modeled that give me the classic David Gilmour, or Eric Johnson, or some really good metal tones that I can play a low volumes. [/quote']

A couple of cab rules of thumb:

-- larger = more bass tone

-- closed back = more bass tone

-- denser material = more bass tone

Plywood is less dense and it sounds colder/harsher to me than particle board or pine lumber. But you can compensate or overcome by insulating the interior with egg crate foam and/or plush carpet pieces. Some speakers seem to work better in open backed cabs, so if you make your own, then its wise to make the backs easily removable in whole or part (certain venues accoustics respond better to open back cabs also). Quite a few indie cab makers have info/tips on the web and a little homework pays off.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Archived