Gibson Brands Forums

Valve Jr. problems

hey guys,

i recently put a clapton boost kit and Lace Hot Golds into my 08 MIA strat. yesterday i plugged into my Vjr. for the first time.... and with no boost on or Od pedals i was overdriving the amp with the amp vol @ 9:00 (gtar vol on 10). it seemed so much louder than before, and kinda fuzzy and no real clean tone unless my guitar vol was like 3-6. but get this.. when i turned on my SD twin tube classic OD pedal..... the problem goes away! is that kit just producing too much signal for the little Vjr to handle??? could i just be overloading it and the SS rectifier can't filter out the extra noise that the amp or anything else produces??? i am beginning to think that it is just too much guitar for my little Vjr.... maybe a valve Senior is in my future???:-k

The rectifier has nothing to do with your guitar signal. That's only there to convert AC to DC, and lives at the exact opposite end of the amp from the input.

You've got something wired goofy in the guitar. Double check everything that you've done to that, and if you're utterly convinced beyond any shadow of doubt that all is 100% clean and correct there, look at your cables. My guess is that you've got the clapton kit wired hot where you think it's off.

Archived