Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bladerunner

Czech made Epis?

Hi! I have heard about a special line of Epiphones being made in the Czech Republic - supposedly of a higher quality than current Chinese og even Korean versions. Have even heard it was a special production run intended for Scandinavia. Anybody has any information on this - would be highly welcome.

If I remember correctly, they were manufactured there in the '90's. They weren't a special run but I do recall people stating that they were (are) fine instruments.

Some Epiphone models for European distribution were made by the Czech company Bohêmia Musico-Delicia in the 1990s. I played a couple of Les Pauls when I was an exchange student in Germany in the late '90s.

To be frank, I reckon there's an undeserved mythology which has developed around these guitars. They may have been a little better than their Asian-made 90s contemporaries, but not strikingly so.

I'd take a good, modern, Qingdao made Les Paul over one of these any day.

• Upvote 1

Just the fact that the Czech models rarely surface creates a mystique about them. In the last 5 years or so I have seen only 3 or 4 for sale on eBay. The rarity of them, especially in North America, can create an unrealistic expectation on the part of the seller as to the value of the guitar. It is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Those guitars had a serial number that started with the letter "B" and I remember someone on the forum a few years ago had one and that had factory installed Schaller tuning machines. So there are a couple of things that would help to identify one quickly.

As far as superior quality to the South Korean models, it would be good if someone who owns one could give us a review.

OTOH I have heard good things about the craftsmen, artisans and luthiers in the Czech Republic. I have an acquaintance whose wife is from there. The comments he made regarding hand made goods from CR were that the attention to detail was usually very good even on things like toys but especially furniture and musical instruments. So it is always worth taking it for a test drive if you find one you like.

As far as superior quality to the South Korean models' date=' it would be good if someone who owns one could give us a review.

.[/quote']

Hello guys, i'm from Norway, and i have one of these guitars(honeburst, had two of them, but sold the other one years ago). The price was in year 2000 7999.-NOK....about 2000.- more than the regular standard, and about a 1000.- more than custom's and blackie's.

I'm far from being an expert on the different models, but i can say this....it's a totally different instrument than any other Epi i've seen, picked up, or tried out in the stores. The body is a bit thicker and heavyer than my mate's 2002 Gibson LP standard. I't looks and sounds better too...i(think;-)we both agree on that. The sound is like.....old. Not a metal guitar out of the box.

They were named "The Heritage", and came in cherry sunburst and honeyburst. The guitar was specially ordered by Luthman A/S(scandinavian Gibson retailer) for the Scandinavian marked only. The ad at the time said hardware by schaller and Alnico if i remember correctly.

I can take some pic's if you want, just tell me what details you want to take a look at, and i will try to get some good ones.

About long&short tenons.....i opened up to take a look at mine. I think it is a long one, because it reaches about an inch into the cavity(about to the middle). Am i right?

Here's some pic's of a nice Heritage in Cherry Sunburst that just got sold here in Norway for 4999.-NOK. That's about the same price as a brand new Asian model today.

http://forum.gitarnorge.no/topic/29382-solgt-epiphone-lp-standard-heritage-tsjekkisk/

Peace

I own a Epiphone SG made at the Bohemia Czech Republic factory and can tell you that these are far superior then the Korean and Chinese made. The quality rival's some of Gibson's cheaper models, if not better.