Gibson Brands Forums

2008 Gibson LP Traditional... Investment, or player?

generation zero

So in a few days when I get my taxes back, I'll be getting my Gibson out of layaway. I started thinking about it though, and since it is the first year of that model, do you think the value of the guitar will go up as a collectible? I would hate to let $2200 sit untouched in a case, but if I could see a huge return on it later on in life... is it worth keeping it in pristine contition?

Normally, I would imediately start modding any guitar when I get it, at least as far as changing the truss rod cover and removing the pick guard. I would probably put a "STANDARD" truss rod cover on it in place of the "TRADITIONAL" one. I might want to swap out knobs, pickup rings, even the pickups. Not to mention, if I do play it out, it's going to get "broken in", and probably beat up over the years.

What would you guys do? Should I keep it stored away, or should I make it my main stick? Or, as a third option, maybe play it every now and again, but keep it stock, with no modifications, for resale value down the road?

It's not my first Gibson, but it is the most expensive guitar I have ever bought, by at least $500. I'm just not sure how I feel about doing anthing that might decrease its' value. Any input is appreciated... Thanks guys!

I'd play it man, seriously. Keep all of your stock parts in a box just incase, so you can include them in any future transaction. Playing it/relicking it, will only add to its values in some circles(and lessen it in others, granted)anyway.

Money is abstract, guitars are real. And I am not a rich man by any means. Paycheck to paycheck is the only way I know. But to have a guitar like that and not play it, I just couldn't do it. I'd be playing it. My L6S in silverburst keeps going up in value by the year -it's worth 1200 bucks or so now- not your level of investment I know..the possibilty of more cash value doesn't keep me from putting wear on it though. My other 2 Gibsons aren't likely to increase in value, LP Classic and SG Classic, but even if they would, I'd be playing them.

Since you asked!

Pretty much the response I expected, LOL... I'm sure I'd never be able to leave it alone for more than a month or so anyway. I guess I was just wondering if you guys think the fact that it's the first year of this model would be something that would make this one of those "sought after" models 15 or 20 years from now. If so, I think I'll name it "College Fund", LOL!

I'm sure I'll be playing it as soon as I get it home though. Thanks for the replies, keep 'em coming!

You're asking a bunch of players! Ask an investment banker; a bunch of them around these days!

Seriously, if you store that guitar in mint condition, it will probably keep ahead of inflation. Officially, around 5% is what the Central Bankers seem to aim. So $2000 @ year2009 will be only worth half that in ten years, if you keep it in a mattress. However, that guitar may be worth much more than $3000 @ year2019. Figure in storage costs.

Disclaimer: I am not an investment banker. WTF(udge) do I know? I had a refret/neck job done on my '72 Strat because I wore it out over 25 years. Play it like you stole it!

I'd never buy a guitar i wouldn't play.... I kinda understand the collector stuff, especially on like a REAL '59, but to buy a '08 and think its gonna skyrocket in value... would be a waste of my time.. If its new its meant to be played is how I look at it.. One other thing, we can only guess if it will really have a collectors value in thirty years... in thirty years a LP might be way better then what we got now...making some of the current stuff not worth much

I will probably just put it into rotation with the rest of my Pauls, and try to make sure it's the one I land on for the big shows. You know, kinda like how you don't wear your "good" clothes around the house... I'll use the epi and the fakes mostly at practice, to keep the Gibby as new as possible for as long as possible, and I'll take the guard off so that it stays brand new as well. Other than that, I'll treat it just like I treat any of my other guitars, except that I probably won't ever put GFS pickups in it... I'll keep the stock pups and wiring so it stays original in that sense as well. Other than that, it's already perfect IMO, or I wouldn't have spent 2 mortgage payments on it...

I can't wait till HNGD... Hope the taxman doesn't dilly dally with my money for too long. I'd hate to have to write them a "maybe" check... You know, "maybe" the money will be in there, and "maybe" this is going to cost me another $35 for overdraft fees, LOL!

Generally in total agreement with what's allready been said. Hard to ignore value if you saved up half your life for a real Gibson but... The best investment is to play it. Mod it (alltho nothing too irreversable) Play it, don't beat it...Take care care of it, and it will take care of you. :-)

Archived