Gibson Brands Forums

Clearness of HB pups ( Epi Dot )

tt

well, i just bought a dot but i´m playing on a crappy amp...first i´ll have to buy a good amp and please don´t tell me that epi HB are not that good, the way you guys are talking it seems like the difference between gibson and epi HB are huge

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the way you guys are talking it seems like the difference between gibson and epi HB are huge

You do not want to open that can of worms. I have a Dot Studio and I'm very happy with it, although

it did require a pickup change for me to be happy with it. A mere $80 in GFS pickups got me there.

I am thinking going with burstbuckers. It seems that they would fit the bluesy, old "power chord" rock, and the little bit of Jazz I like to play. Now, is there a difference in sound between the open coil, and the soapbar type of pickups? I have a Honeyburst with the cream parts, I was thinking either getting the gold covered pickups, or the open coil zebras. Anyone care to put in their 2 cents? Maybe just to help out with the decision in which one to pick.

I am thinking going with burstbuckers. It seems that they would fit the bluesy' date=' old "power chord" rock, and the little bit of Jazz I like to play. Now, is there a difference in sound between the open coil, and the soapbar type of pickups? I have a Honeyburst with the cream parts, I was thinking either getting the gold covered pickups, or the open coil zebras. Anyone care to put in their 2 cents? Maybe just to help out with the decision in which one to pick.

[/quote']

The soapbar type (P90)? Or do you mean a covered humbucker?

Sorry' date=' I meant covered humbuckers. Does the open coil humbucker give you better sound than the covered humbucker? #-o

[/quote']

My experience playing various Epi's and replacing Epi pickups in my own guitars, leads me to believe there's little difference (if any) in Epi HB's from one model to another. Covered or not they all seem muddy, the neck position always being the worst.

Faded....

My experience playing various Epi's and replacing Epi pickups in my own guitars' date=' leads me to believe there's little difference (if any) in Epi HB's from one model to another. Covered or not they all seem muddy, the neck position always being the worst.

Faded....[/quote']

I get that the Epi pups are muddy, and not very good quality. But, if I was going to upgrade the pups, should I go with the covered pups or the open coil? Which of the two has a better sound?[-X

Open coil pickups supposed to have a higher top end.

It has something to do with the cover killing some highs.

Maybe another forum can explain this better' date=' but it's what i've heard, read or was told?

Peter[/quote']

Thank you for the post. I have been looking around, and it seems that the covered pups do not project the high end as good as the uncovered ones. Also, the covered ones take care of feedback, lower hum, and so on...... Ultimately, it seems that it is a preference thing. Apparently, the uncovered ones is the way to go as it supposedly promotes a better sound or sonic range. Who knows, I'm just trying to upgrade my Epi Lp with better pups. :-

I've never looked into this, but just wonder how many icons, like Jimmy Page, Angus Young etc., play or played with open coil pups. It obviously will make a difference, but just how much who knows. I'm an old dog and don't like the cosmetic look of open coil, but understand that the sound is what's most important......................J

I've never looked into this' date=' but just wonder how many icons, like Jimmy Page, Angus Young etc., play or played with open coil pups. It obviously will make a difference, but just how much who knows. [b']I'm an old dog and don't like the cosmetic look of open coil,[/b] but understand that the sound is what's most important......................J

LOL...Me too, Jepi. First thing I did, after testing out my Gibby Les Paul Classic, was to put Nickel covers

on the pickups! It always felt "unfinished" with the covers off. Sound wise (tone), I never really felt there

was much, if any difference. There did seem to be a bit more volume. But most of my "hero's" growing up

Bloomfield, Clapton (in his Mayall/Beano Era) played Stock PAF's, that were covered! And, they still sounded like them...Great! EC did uncover his PAF's later...but he still sounded the same, to me. Page had his

bridge pickup uncovered, but the neck picup was covered! So...??? I went through an "uncovered" stage,

like a lot of us did, at the time. But, I always seemed to go back, to covered pickups.

CB

Can anybody confirm that i have correct information about the following pickups?

Gibson 57 Classic - 7.8k, alnico II magnets , cover german silver ( not brass) , waxpotted

Gibson 57 Classic Plus - 8.7k, alnico II magnets, cover german silver ( not brass), waxpotted

Epi Dot neck 8.9 k (which alnico magnets? ) , brass cover, waxpotted

Epi Dot bridge 9,2 k (which alnico magnets? ) , brass cover, waxpotted

LOL...Me too' date=' Jepi. First thing I did, after testing out my Gibby Les Paul Classic, was to put Nickel covers

on the pickups! It always felt "unfinished" with the covers off. Sound wise (tone), I never really felt there

was much, if any difference. There did seem to be a bit more volume. But most of my "hero's" growing up

Bloomfield, Clapton (in his Mayall/Beano Era) played Stock PAF's, that were covered! And, they still sounded like them...Great! EC did uncover his PAF's later...but he still sounded the same, to me. Page had his

bridge pickup uncovered, but the neck picup was covered! So...??? I went through an "uncovered" stage,

like a lot of us did, at the time. But, I always seemed to go back, to covered pickups.

CB[/quote']

I agree. Once upon a time, EVH said that you could pick up his exact gear, play through it and still not sound like him. I liked that. Sounds like a good signature line.=D>

so which ones would be the better bet ?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/seymour_duncan_ssph901b_chrom.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_p57_classic.htm

which one would you buy ?

Between these two, whichever one is cheaper. Both products are of very good quality and sound. Whichever one you get, you should not be disappointed.

I have to say that all guitar players struggle with the never-ending battle of finding the "TONE". =D>

I got my Dot about 2 weeks ago and am really happy with the tone from the stock pickups. They were originally set really low so I raised them a tad and now the guitar sparkles

Here is a video of me playing with both pickups through the clean channel on my amp

Don't have any desire to change the stock pups. I also love the tone I get from my G400

Might be worth you playing with pickup heights before you yank em out

Just curious. Is this the pup that everyone is changing out of their DOT's? I'm usually the 'odd man out' on the pickup controversy but these are stock in my '05 EE and I think they sound good. 'Course' date=' I'm not doing any stage or recording work. Maybe if I was, I would need to change them out?? I play the DOT thru a '60's Magnavox Estey tube amp with one twelve and its sweet.....................J

[img']http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/173bro/Epiphone%20Dot%20VS/Dot1Apr08005.jpg[/img]

That's a sweet amp; by the way, it's a Magnatone Estey, not Magnavox. I use a '56 Magnatone as my primary harp amp. They were higher end than Fender back in the day. Does your's have working vibrato?

what about SD SH-55 Seth Lovers vs Gibson 57 Classic (and Plus) ?

Any comparison (cons/pros of each set) between these on an Epi Dot ?

The Seth Lovers are not wax-potted. Might get you some feedback-issues at "gainy"-settings in a Dot.

Telbert

you seem like a nice feller and all...

Here's the deal:

a hollow or semi-hollow axe may never sound as bright as you are accustomed to - even if you throw single coils in it.

if you ask guitarists about pickups, you should understand that 'Tone' is subjective as hell- everyone has their ideal sound. So asking people on here what would be best is a total crapshoot.

The only guarantee you'll get by putting *****in' , super deluxe, famous-name humbuckers in your guitar is that they're definitely gonna make your wallet lighter.

be careful...just sayin'

thanks for warning :-)

The *****in' , super deluxe, famous-name sd-55´s just happened to be offered to me with good price totally by chance yesterday and i have couple of days to think whether to take those or not. Probably will ( can sell them later if they dont ´do´)

If you're going to the expense/trouble of installing better pups I'd recommend upgrading the pots and capacitors at the same time. It's not a lot more money and ensures you get the best out of the pups. I always go for CTS pots, Sprague caps. Epis' stock pots and caps vary in quality, and they might be part of your problem.

Archived