Gibson Brands Forums

Clearness of HB pups ( Epi Dot )

tt

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh man...I shouldn'ta started looking at pu's. Kinman is putting out noiseless p90s this month. I have a set of his 60's tele pu's- they are awesome-

But he charges a F#@<-load for his pu's. If the p90s are as good as his others, I'm in big $trouble$

Thanks for comments and suggestions so far

You were right , You were right, - should have started with the wiring befor the pickups thing:

Yesterday tore its guts out - well, at first glance, it looks different from like a proper 335 wiring :

( http://www.gibson.com/Files/schematics/sheratonII%20wiring.JPG

http://www.kevinyates.com/ES_335_re-wire/pictures/picture-11.jpg )

Since I am not used to linear pots in guitar, i´d say before the pickups thing i must start with getting proper replacement pots and caps , maybe this brings more chime into the original pups as well (which tones i like overall , its just their muddyness , lack of clear treble end, should have a little more transparency)

So, perhaps i´d need firstly try a proper wiring scheme with treble bleeds added and can do with the Dots original pups very well?

Can you tell - the new Chinese Epi dots - are all the pots in them 500k ? ( cant measure adequatly yet , pots are still connected to each other) , or some of them are different value ( like 300 ) ?

rgds,

Telbert

• 1 month later...

Update:

"Fifties wiring" with original pickups, 4x decent 500 audio pots , 2x .022 tone caps , 2x .002 ( yes, 0.002 not 001! ) treble bleeds => PERFECTO

"Case closed"

Rgds,

Telbert

Update:

"Fifties wiring" with original pickups' date=' 4x decent 500 audio pots , 2x .022 tone caps , 2x .002 ( yes, 0.002 not 001! ) treble bleeds => PERFECTO

"Case closed"

Rgds,

Telbert [/quote']

Good to see that just changing the wiring made your stock pickups usable. I've always changed the pickups first, wiring second.

Btw, if anyone needs some stock Epi humbuckers I have a pile of them!

my own experience with the standard humbuckers in my dot: what concerns sound i always wanted to come as close as possible to a gibson 335. in some of the forums here i read that the stock pubs are bad. so i got a pair of gfs 59... took them out today; the stock ones - the same as on the foto here - are much better more clarity more tone....

but what i did in the meantime:

replaced the nut with a bone nut, the stop tail with an aluminium one as well as the capacitors...and not to forget the new roller bridge... the result is really nice.i love my dot and it sounds really nice!!

Archived