Gibson Brands Forums

Amp help

murdoc

So right now I am playing out of a Fender frontman and a Roland Microcube. I play a lot of classic rock so I want to get a really bluesy, growling sound. I have a stock Epiphone les paul standard with Alnico humbuckers. So I have decided to invest in a p90 to replace the neck pick up and I was also thinking about getting a decent amp as well. So I really don't know where to start. I need something thats portable if possible because I am usually hauling my gear to friends' houses. Any help is appreciated, If I am totally wrong about the p90 let me know too (am I going to have trouble fitting one of those into a space made for a humbucker?)

Thanks in advance

You can go with a P100. Very close to P90 sound and no need to cut. I think SD has "real" P90's too in HB size.

On amps,lotta guys here love those Valve Juniors. I'm a Blues Custom 30 guy-I like it immensley. Black Heart has a very good reputation and Peavey makes some decent budget tube amps too. I think anything Fender that is tube driven will probably make you happy as well. I would suggest a tube amp, 'cos you'll want one eventually anyway. Tubes are the bees knees. Or something good that you like alot. Breaded bees knees in tobasco is a family favorite for me.

There are two standout modeling series as well: Vox AD series amps, and Roland's Cubes-which I see you have...I have one of the Vox's, and a good friend has a Cube, so I've played them both. They are pretty nice really. Not a bad first amp, not a bad practice amp, and for some they even like to gig with them.

There's a few ideas, you'll get many opinions to feed your decision making process, I'm sure.

I, on the other hand, love my p90 in the neck of my lp.

I also put two p90s in my sheraton.

Mine are Kent Armstrong humbucking sized p90s.

And they kick major butt in my opinion.

Your amp depends on your current power needs, and your future needs.

That is, say you're jamming now. no drums. but figure on full band sometime down the road.. then you'll want enough power

right away to avoid losing money on a trade or sell off later.

Your front man and your microcube really already cover the headphone bedroom and a couple of guys jamming needs.

*I love my micro cube*

So I'd look at a tube amp.. break off from the solid state sounds..

so then you want to look at what music you want to make with it.. and your budget.

blues and classic rock..

so depending on your budget you can go to anything from the valve senior..

or any approx. 20 watt amp..

to a fender blues jr.. at 15 watts..

but they aren't gonna be very loud with drums and a full band in anything but smaller venues.

I used to have a fender hot rod deluxe. and that's more money, 40 watts, great tube tone.. and kinda heavy!

but those are ok starting places.

the peavey tube amps save you some money.. and lots of people really like those amps.

TWANG

Archived