Gibson Brands Forums

More pictures of Gear, Come on guys, pitch in!!!!

Svet

Hey Charlie' date=' what kind of tailpiece is that on your Les Paul Junior? It looks like something I might be intersted on putting on my Genesis restoration.

BTW, I have no black guitars, but I will have when the Geni is done; it's going back to it's original inky skin.[/quote']

Brian, it's a standard (gold) TP-6. I have a "Cinnamon" (Red) Junior Lite, as well...that's done the same way, but with

Chrome hardware. Really made a basic guitar, into something "special," IMHO. I don't like "gold" hardware

on everything, but I do like it on certain guitars...and the black Junior Lite looks really "sharp" with it, I think!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So a black guitar isn't my cup of tea theres no need to be so arrogant over what i have to say. Theres a little thing called accepting someones point of view. Aswell as a little thing called common decency and respect. Theres no need to be like this so stop being haters or for lack of a better word piloks or plonkers.

Wrighty2012

Well, I don't think anyone here, was being "hateful?" Just a friendly "jibe" maybe...but certainly nothing serious...at least, I don't think so!

Everyone has their own tastes, and preferences, and we all respect that...I know I do! But, we (sometimes) have a bit of a "go" at each

other, in a friendly manner (most of us, anyway), now and then. All in good fun! There have been some "ornery characters" in the past, and

probably will be, in the future...but hey, that's life! So, enjoy...try not to take things so personal, maybe? Just a thought.

CB

love the man love his guitars.. BUT WTF is up with all the switches.. and knobs.. and **** all over his guitar?!?

Those were Les Paul (Norlin Era) "Recording" guitars...with low impedance pickups! They were set up' date=' a bit

differently, than the normal PAF or P-90 equipped guitars. Never cared for them, myself, but

Les liked them, for a lot of his recording.

Les Paul models in the Norlin era

Subsequent years brought new company ownership to the Gibson Guitar Company. During the "Norlin Era", Gibson Les Paul body designs were greatly altered, most notably, the change to the neck volute. Because the Les Paul had the reputation of having an easily broken neck joint, the volute strengthened the neck where it joined the headstock to avert breakage. To further increase the strength, the neck woods were changed from mahogany to a three-piece maple design. The LP body was changed from a one piece mahogany with a maple top into multiple slabs of mahogany with multiple pieced maple tops (also called a "pancake body').

[i']In this era, as well, Gibson began experimenting with new models such as the Les Paul Recording. This model is often eschewed by guitar purists[citation needed]: considered "too full of gadgetry".[citation needed] The Recording featured low-impedance pickups, many switches and buttons, and a highly specialized cable for impedance-matching to the amplifier.[/i] Less noticeable changes included, but were not limited to, maple fingerboards (1976), pickup cavity shielding, and the crossover of the ABR1 Tune-o-matic bridge into the modern day Nashville Tune-o-matic bridge. During the 1970s, the Les Paul body shape was incorporated into other Gibson models, including the S-1, the Sonex, the L6-S, and many other experimental models.

CB

so stop being....piloks or plonkers.

...it's English' date=' Jim, but not as we know it...[/i']

"Piloks?" Time to dig out my copy of Cassell's Dictionary of Slang, London: Weldenfeld & Nicholson, 2nd ed., 2005. Oh yes, here we go...

Piloks [sic] Correct spelling "Pillock(s)"

"Pillock n. [1960s+] 1. a fool, a simpleton. 2. a general term of abuse"

"Plonkers?"

"Plonker n....3. [1980s+] a general term of abuse, widely popularized by the BBC TV series Only Fools and Horses."

You truly are un homme de lettres, eh, wrighty2012?

Wrighty, I don't think I was being "hateful", rather I was just pointing out that a guitar's color is a matter of taste, and doesn't really have anything to do with it's "personality" IMHO. As a matter of fact, I prefer sunbust or natural finish myself as evidenced by some of my collection posted earlier in this thread. But a black guitar can be very elegant looking, and I will have one soon that I'll post.

As for Lester and all the controls, check out this article that I posted in the Lounge yesterday:

http://forums.epiphone.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=8366

Not only did Mr. Paul invent the solid-body electric guitar, he invented multi-track recording. As for endorsing his "brand" of guitar, Ted McCarty drew the thing up for the patent office submission, and Gibson had every intention of leaving their name off of it in the beginning and then realized that this electric guitar thing might have some merit. And when they were about to bail out of (all) electrics again, Les had to go back and lobby them to keep making them. Lester is the true originator of our hobby and passion, and a national treasure, not some opportunistic product salesman.

And yes, I do wish I had his band and gig on Monday nights at the Iridium. 93, still gigging and sounding better that ever? That's unheard of!

...it's English' date=' Jim, but not as we know it...[/i']

"Piloks?" Time to dig out my copy of Cassell's Dictionary of Slang, London: Weldenfeld & Nicholson, 2nd ed., 2005. Oh yes, here we go...

Piloks [sic] Correct spelling "Pillock(s)"

"Pillock n. [1960s+] 1. a fool, a simpleton. 2. a general term of abuse"

"Plonkers?"

"Plonker n....3. [1980s+] a general term of abuse, widely popularized by the BBC TV series Only Fools and Horses.

LOL...I love UK Slang! Plonkers, Posers, Pillocks, Bullocks...hilarious. Must be the Scotch-Irish in me, from my

Mother's side. ;>)

CB

I do not have nor will i ever own a black guitar a guitar needs personality so ebony guitars dont suit me. If you want solid colours alpine white people.

For what it's worth.

"Black nor white are colours". Fact.

"I like black guitars". Opinion.

"People with Alpine White guitars lack personality". Plonker.

Notice the subtle difference.

Archived