Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Custom Classic with P-90s

Silverbursted

Holy cow, what a surprise. Played a beautiful Les Paul Custom Classic with P-90s. I never played anything with P-90s before, I had a preconceived notion that the P-90s were kinda twangy. But this sucker rocked, had it plugged into a JCM 800 and played it both clean and dirty. Not the sound I was expecting. After getting home, I started searching around for the Custom Classic with P-90s and only found the guitar with the 57 PAF's, with everything else was the same . Does anyone know if the P-90 is an option when special ordered or what? I really like it, and it had a pretty nice price tag on it. My OCD won't allow me to buy it until I know everything there is to know. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Here is a link to the same guitar, but with the PAF's.

Custom Classic

Welcome to the wonderful world of P-90's!

There's a huge variation between P-90's themselves, and putting them in different guitars REALLY mixes it up.

I have them in a Guild BluesBird and a Fender Strat, used to have an SG Junior with one.

Great pickups, REALLY cool.

Thanks Junkie. Only 400 made' date=' hmmm. Sounding better and better. Damn this GAS. [/quote']

Or maybe less than 400. Apparently the way the GOTW series works is that it's a maximum of 400 built, and they only build enough to fulfill the initial orders plus a few extra. In other words, if they release a piece of crap and only get 50 orders they might only make 75. If, 6 months later Slash decides to start using the week 51 Lime Green ES-335 and they get orders for 500 more, they make the other 325 (and then probably reissue it in 3 more colors like the Reverse V). If it's an unpopular model, then they might only make the initial 75, and that's it. This is why I happen to own a 2007, Week 41 Nashville Les Paul Junior that was built february 20th, 2008.

It's a pretty safe bet that all 400 of those P90 Customs were built, but with gibson you never know.

BTW, there's still a leftover link on the Gibson Japan site.

http://www.gibson.com/jp%2Djp/Divisions/Gibson%20USA/Guitar%20of%20the%20Week/LP%5FClassic%5FCustom%2DWeek%5F28/

I had a gig last night and I brought 3 Gibsons. A 2001 Les Paul Classic Plus, a 2007 ES-339, and a 2007 Week 37 SG Special with P90s. I played the SG for most of the third set and was reminded of why I love guitars with P90s so much. I don't know if it was due to the lighter body, but when I was holding a chord I could feel it vibrating in my hands. The P90s are so punchy when dirty that you can almost feel the ground shake beneath your feet, but when I played this thing clean, it didn't have that "honk" that you get from clean humbuckers. It had that shimmering tone, but still ballsy. If I had picked it up in the first set, I might not have put it down all night.

Holy cow' date=' what a surprise. Played a beautiful Les Paul Custom Classic with P-90s. I never played anything with P-90s before,[/quote']

Sounds like your bank account will be loosing $2,804.00. =D>

week 51 Lime Green ES-335

I noticed this a while ago on Gibson USA's site and now on the Japanese site.

It only goes as far as Week 48, that RD.

Did they make GOTW 49 - 52? Am I missing something??

P90s are great; I have two guitars with them - an early 90's SG Junior (one pup in the bridge) and a Reverend Slingshot. To my ears, the pups in the Reverend are a little too hi-fi sounding but the stock Gibson P90 has a great, grinding growl to it.

I'd love to get my hands on a 56 RI Gold top. The only other Les Paul I've played that I like as much as my own was a CS model much like the 56 RI that this guy I worked with in a studio owned when we would do some projects together on the side around 15 years ago. What a sweet guitar!

I noticed this a while ago on Gibson USA's site and now on the Japanese site.

It only goes as far as Week 48' date=' that RD.

Did they make GOTW 49 - 52? Am I missing something??[/quote']

That was it. They ran out of "new ideas" after 48 weeks. It was actually 47 guitars. If you noticed on all the lists, week 45 is missing. It was supposed to be the Joan Jett Melody Maker, but some specs were changed and they scrapped it at the last minute.

The CC with the p90s can be scored for under $1800 on ebay. I've been watching them for awhile, I'm more interested in the standard humbucking CC but about two a month come up with p90's. Last month one went for a little over $1100. A steal for that bad hunk o wood.

If you aren't afraid of the bay Silver, I would watch there. I think that one will be under appreciated for awhile like most p90 equipped gits.

I'm a big fan of P-90s.

I recently acquired a Custom Shop R4 with P-90s - it's a kickass guitar. I can get plenty of twang out of it in the "both pickups" position. The neck position sounds very full and woody - like a Strat on steroids. The bridge pickup sounds a bit thin through a clean amp but that makes it sound great for chicken pickin'. With some overdrive dialed in the bridge pickup gets really snarly and well-defined, and the neck pickup attains the perfect "woman tone." O:)

I also created my own "BFG" almost 30 years ago with a Norlin-era LP Special reissue. I had the bridge P90 replaced with a DiMarzio Super Distortion, but kept the P90 in the neck position. I still have this guitar and it's a great one, too.

The CC with the p90s can be scored for under $1800 on ebay. I've been watching them for awhile' date=' I'm more interested in the standard humbucking CC but about two a month come up with p90's. Last month one went for a little over $1100. A steal for that bad hunk o wood.

If you aren't afraid of the bay Silver, I would watch there. I think that one will be under appreciated for awhile like most p90 equipped gits.[/quote']

The GC in Scottsdale had it for $1800, still trying to decide, but that definitely did not help with my GAS sounded way too good.

As far as the bay, no problem there my son just picked up a brand new 2007 Ibanez RG550 25th Anniversary in Road Flare Red, delivered today. Unbelievable!!! I'd post pics, but this is not the right place, sorry. Lets just say you need your shades to play this one.

Archived