Gibson Brands Forums

Unknown Guitar

xavier

ksd would know this - could the headstock logo be a plate from a gibson appliance? also, what i've gleaned from much forum reading is that much pre-lawsuit stuff was made at the same factories, with the same specs and sold to different companies. i have heard this said about stella, kent etc... could this neck have been a melody maker copy with the previous company's logo in the middle where the screw holes are visible?

sorry if this seems like kicking a dead horse but i'm still just trying to learn from the experts.

ksd would know this - could the headstock logo be a plate from a gibson appliance?

Now THAT is a very interesting theory that could be well worth exploring. I totally forgot about the old Gibson appliance company.

Regarding the other ideas about copies: it seems unlikely that the old logo was located where those screwholes appear now (and in any case, this guitar is not a copy to begin with); it would not be financially feasible to swap necks on a real Gibson with a fake. The Gibson necks don't bolt on like Fender necks, and neck removal/replacement for a Gibson is VERY expensive and time-consuming work. I don't think many of these guitars of the '60s had attached logo plates--and even if they did, they most likely would have gone where the Gibson logo is located. And in any case, I've seen these holes on non-refinished genuine Gibsons, which suggests that in most cases, they are something aftermarket, rather than a part of the guitar when it was manufactured.

Ignatius

• 3 months later...

It's a fake. Did any of you bother to notice the three screw holes towards the middle of the head (to the right of the truss rod cover in the picture perspective). Obviously another truss rod type or nameplate was there.

Just because I slap a Mercedes logo on a VW doesn't make the VW a Benz.

Archived