Gibson Brands Forums

New tubes ...... burn in ????

RSDx

If so, for how long ..... is crackling/squealing "normal" for new tubes ??? Been a long long time since I owned a tube amp, and don't recall having these problems with a new tube or two back in the late 70's early 80's-ish)....... Sorry if this same question was asked in another thread, but I went off tangent there from tube warm-up to tube burn-in....... Did the local mom'n'pop shop sell me defective tubes, or should I leave the amp on for who knows how long to get them burnt in ??? The tubes that were in the amp when I bought it (used) work fine, but I figured new tubes would not be a bad idea, and can save the working old ones as backup. So far, I'm underwhelmed with the new ones (they sold me a Fender branded tube and a Sovtek )..... crackly/noisy/squealy, and I ain't happy about it ..... otherwise, love the lil 5w beast [-X Should I look into finding a different brand ??? JJ's ???? Just a-sittin' and a-wonderin', here ... thanks !!!

it's normal for new bad tubes.

a few minutes warm up is all that's needed.

If they make noise, they're bad or something else is wrong.

My tubes are JJ's and they sound better after playing 20 minutes, too. But warm up is just two or three minutes.

You shouldn't have any crackling.. or squealing.

As far as burning tubes in goes.. you can expect a year or two out of them, so there's your burn in!

I'd take it back and have them replace the tubes and then let it warm up and if it still makes noise..

it's the amp.

TWANG

Thanks, TWANG ....this is a used amp that works perfectly fine with the tubes it came with..... am definitely considering taking the tubes back ........ I wouldn't think it's the amp, as the old tubes still work perfectly fine ..... go figure. Was just lookin' to have a reliable backup set of tubes....Any recommendations as far as tube manufacturers ???

I'd take it back and have them replace the tubes and then let it warm up and if it still makes noise..

it's the amp.

TWANG

I like the sovtek el84, but I think the JJ is better.

I like the JJ 12ax7, but I haven't tried the sovtek 12ax7wxt which I believe gets a lot of good reports.

I got a westinghouse NOS 5751 from antique radio supply, and wish I'd bought three.

I've had the electro harmonix 12ax7 and it was ok, though some others seemed to think they weren't so hot.. mine was pretty

much like a JJ.

I think jjs' are really a safe bet, and nicely priced.

And that sovtek is one I keep meaning to order. the wxt.

tubesandmore.com

thetubestore.com

both good places to check them out.

TWANG

DOA tubes happen all the time I'm sad to say. Never buy just one tube. Always buy a bunch, and be sure to bring a few extras with you to gigs.

If they crackle and pop, they're probably bad. Only certain vintage oddball TV tubes make noise at first and then clean up and act normal. None of the common guitar amp tubes should do that. They should sound good from the start. If you can hear the tone improve as a tube burns in, you've got a mighty sensitive ear and know your amp's tone very well, cuz the effect is actually pretty subtle.

Gil...

Tung-Sol 12ax7 and JJ EL84 are my favorite combo. Grats on the fix 8-[

My local shop only carries Sovtek EL-84s and Fender/JJ 12AX7s - they have a whole store full of Fenders/Squiers, but not one Squier Vintage Modified Thinline Tele, which I was really interested in checking out ..... they can "order one" for me if I'm going to buy =D> ..... dunno if I'd want to buy until I try one, ya know ??? I get the same crap at my LBS (local bike shop) - I like to check out newer bikes (still flogging my '01 Trek Fuel 90...), but they don't stock what I'd like to check out....but they also can "order one" for me if I'm going to buy =D> Screw it.....

do what everyone else does.. mail order brides.. opps mail order tubes.

http://www.dougstubes.com/

http://www.eurotubes.com/index.htm

http://thetubestore.com/

http://www.12ax7a.com/

That'll work next time' date=' for sure !!!!

I'll sell you mine, but you aint getting any tubes.

Heh .... oh, a wiseguy, eh ?? LOL .. Ummmm, think I'll pass - with my wife and daughter, there's already too much estrogen in the RSDx household as is #-o

Archived