Gibson Brands Forums

New pickups GFS-- Video is on youtube!

I just ordered a set of new pickups from GFS. I ordered a 59 for the neck and a VEH for the bridge. I will make a video for youtube reviewing the tone for everyone to see and hear. I will get the pickups sometime this week. I will keep you posted.

UPDATE: I added the video to youtube for all to see. here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LdUs_cFrAU

I just ordered a set of new pickups from GFS. I ordered a 59 for the neck and a VEH for the bridge. I will make a video for youtube reviewing the tone for everyone to see and hear. I will get the pickups sometime this week. I will keep you posted.

Excellent! I put a set of GFS "Fat Pat" Humbuckers in my Raven West LP copy to replace the

stock G and B pups (Garbage and Bullsh@t). Sound is better, but in the back of my mind I

keep thinking "I SHOULD have bought the VEH, I Should have bought the VEH...". Want your

opinion of the VEH for sure!

Excellent! I put a set of GFS "Fat Pat" Humbuckers in my Raven West LP copy to replace the

stock G and B pups (Garbage and Bullsh@t). Sound is better' date=' but in the back of my mind I

keep thinking "I SHOULD have bought the VEH, I Should have bought the VEH...". Want your

opinion of the VEH for sure![/quote']

Yeah it was a hard choice but I went with the VEH. I cant wait. I will make the youtube video and add the link for you guys.

I like that mean 90.. I prefer the kent armstrong.. brighter, hotter.. but I like that mean 90.

It's got a lot going for it and I didn't think it would sound anywhere near as good.

I think it's near perfect in the dot and it's staying.

TWANG

I'm looking forward to the video. I've been thinking about the VEH myself.

Based on that' date=' i dont think i'll be getting any GFS's after all. Sounded different, but not better (except on clean IMO). [/quote']

Really i agree with you they are a bit louder than the stock but they pretty much sound the same. the only thing that would be an advantage over the stock is that you can tap the coils on the GFS pickups. other than that the GFS seem to be a little more clear but not enough to really make a difference over the stock. I plan on tapping the coils to see if they are worth keeping. I do however, think they are great replacements if you happen to break a stock pickup and wish to replace it for cheap.

As I expected, the difference can be heard with the bridge pickups, being

that one is overwound and one is not. Neck sounds pretty much the same.

Changing pickups and such is OK but, dude, your guitar was out of tune!

As I expected' date=' the difference can be heard with the bridge pickups, being

that one is overwound and one is not. Changing pickups and such is OK

but, dude, your guitar was out of tune![/quote']

yeah i have to adjust the bridge since it got out of whack when i took it off. i will have to set it up again.

I'm a big fan of GFS, with vintage 59s in most of my guitars and a set of mean 90s as well.

Listening to your demo, I would say that the vintage 59 has a bit more bass response than the

Epi CH57. The clean demo wasn't too bad,except for tuning, but the distortion set wasn't

a good demo of the differences..too much distortion. So I'm still wondering about the VEH...

is it any different than the Epi HOTCH. You need to do a riff or a full scale for the difference

to show up. I would suggest to check the Gibson site to see how they demo their pickups.

OK, I put GFS "Fat Pat" Humbuckers in my Raven West LP, yours exhibit the same

thing I noticed - They sound "BRIGHTER", less low end, not as muddy. On my EPI

LP Studio, I LIKE the Muddy. On the Raven, I still get the "Rock" sound & distortion,

but without as much "gonad-vibrating" low end. This can be tweaked with the amp,

of course, plus raven is different construction (wood, perhaps?) I still think the GFS

brand is definitely an AFFORDABLE go-to. We need input from folks who have GFS

installed to help us make an informed decision as to WHICH GFS to get, as the Name

Brand pups carry name-brand prices. I have no problem with gfs.

I'm a big fan of GFS' date=' with vintage 59s in most of my guitars and a set of mean 90s as well.

Listening to your demo, I would say that the vintage 59 has a bit more bass response than the

Epi CH57. The clean demo wasn't too bad,except for tuning, but the distortion set wasn't

a good demo of the differences..too much distortion. So I'm still wondering about the VEH...

is it any different than the Epi HOTCH. You need to do a riff or a full scale for the difference

to show up. I would suggest to check the Gibson site to see how they demo their pickups. [/quote']

Yeah I will get something together. The VEH is for sure louder than the HOT CH. the VEH has more bite to it but I really dont care to much for it clean. I think that distorted it sounds nice. but as I said before these pickups are very close to the stock pickups. next week my microphone should arrive so I will have a better way to record the test of the new pickups. And I agree with you about the metal test. there is to much distortion once that mic comes I will record a new video with better sound.

Is it true that GFS pickups is the same as Giovanni pickups' date=' produced by Artec (china) (wich you can buy cheap on ebay)???[/quote']

I believe Artec is in Korea..got to their site

http://www.artecsound.com/giovani/index.html

According to the GFS response on one site, they will not confirm nor deny that

some of their pickups are made there. Artec makes some really neat specialty

active preamps..the QTA appears to be the same one as the F05 that I got

from GFS.

As far as comparing one brand of p_up to the other, I would have to say

that unless you have some insider information that Brand A is exactly the

same as Brand B, made in the same place, you will have to buy whatever

pickup you are interested in, and experiment with the tones produced,

just like the rest of us. =P~

Archived