Gibson Brands Forums

deleted

iansmitchell

Most corporations have all kinds of difficult requirements for warranty claims. They say it's to reduce the number of specious claims. I've seen reps go from one extreme (requiring all documentation) to the other (screw paperwork, just fix it). Mostly it depends on the latest word from HQ and varies with the size of the current Customer Service budget. Honda used to say that if it was within 12/12 of warranty and no obvious signs of abuse to just handle it, but Acura (wholly owned by Honda) required all claims to be completely within requirements. No safety issues with Gibson or other guitar manufacturers, so the attitude will totally reveal corporate attitude toward customer retention.

hey brianh,

i know your feelings quite well: on the one hand you're extremely happy with the new guitar on the other hand how do you explain this to your wife. it happened to 3 weeks ago: a nice dot as well. but a lot of explanations ....

Charlie' date=' I believe you may be incorrect about the warranty. Gibson requires a copy

of the original receipt for warranty claims. I know this because I used the warranty

for my Dot. In the US, warranty registration is not a legal requirement. How much

Gibson scrutinizes the receipt is unknown to me, though.[/quote']

Well, that's possible. But, I've had warranty work done, and they didn't even ask for the

reciept. They just ran the serial number. It may depend on the Gibson Authorized vendor,

that does the work? Maybe they don't even have "authorized repair services" anymore?

It was years ago, that I had that work done, in Los Angeles...and, at the time, there were

"Gibson" repair places, in all the major cities. But, maybe they don't do that, anymore?

Sorry, If I was mistaken...

CB

Peter, I'll let you know when I tell her; she hasn't noticed it yet (I think). Anyway, $150 ain't like I spent $6k on a vintage LP. But I do remember many times when she was wearing a new outfit or pair of shoes , and I said "when'd you get those?" She always has the same great answer:

"These? I've had these since last year! What, you don't remember?"

Just hope yours doesn't find out like mine did.

I bought that Wildkat yesterday (I'm out of town for work also) and this morning my credit card company called the house to "verify" the purchase.

So at 9am I get a call and she's like dammit.gifArrg.gif

and I'm like censored.gif

I think when I get home it'll be like whack.gif

But I'll still be toofless2.gif

Peter' date=' I'll let you know when I tell her; she hasn't noticed it yet (I think). Anyway, $150 ain't like I spent $6k on a vintage LP. But I do remember many times when she was wearing a new outfit or pair of shoes , and I said "when'd you get those?" She always has the same great answer:

"These? I've had these since last [u']year[/u]! What, you don't remember?"

Sounds all too familiar. Somehow clothes are always justified, but nothing else is. Congrats on a nice looking instrument.

Just hope yours doesn't find out like mine did.

I bought that Wildkat yesterday (I'm out of town for work also) and this morning my credit card company called the house to "verify" the purchase.

So at 9am I get a call and she's like dammit.gifArrg.gif

and I'm like censored.gif

I think when I get home it'll be like whack.gif

But I'll still be toofless2.gif

LOL... ID Theft Prevention pwned... =D>

How about a Cherry Red Dot with hardcase for $450NZ ($220US) is that a good deal?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instruments/Instruments/Guitar-bass/Electric-guitars/auction-205992276.htm

That or a Les Paul? Hard to decide.

Swoop, it depends. What condition is it in? Is it set up - straight neck, action low, intonation OK? Are the pots quiet and all electronics in good working order? Does it have a serial number? Is it stamped 2ND or USED (usually indented on the back of the headstock above the serial number - look carefully!) Those markings may be hard to see, and could have been disguised by a previous owner. They will have a negative affect on value, although the guitar may be perfectly usable. On the 2ND I just bought, the serial number was silkscreened on the back of the headstock, but not on the label inside the F-hole. There were 2 or 3 minor finish defects near the binding (see previously posted pics), but all else was in good shape. If the guitar checks out and has no major cosmetic defects, then $220 is a reasonable price. They go for $399 new without case in the US, and a decent (not stellar) hard case is around $100.

The headstock pic on the website makes it appear to be first quality, but the picture is very blurry making the serial number illegible. Is this intentional? I would e-mail the owner and ask for a clear picture of the back of the headstock AND the paper label in the F-hole, make sure the #s match, and check them against Epi's serial number database (in case its stolen, a fake, etc.) Bottom line, do you like this style of guitar, or would you rather have a solid body? It's hard to make such choices on the web, much better if you can play before you buy. The necks on dts are kind of chunky, and you may not like it if you're used to Strats or Teles.

If you get it, let us know what you think and post some pics for our edification.

Goodonya,

Archived