Gibson Brands Forums

Finally, HNGD!!! (Sorry, not Epi...)

KYSohn

Hi guys,

After the problem with CIJ Fender Tele Custom with the mutilated body that I had to return, I was still deciding between Epi Alleykat and Fender Nashville Tele.

But then, the same shop just got a used but in excellent+ shape 2008 (the new model) Fender American Standard Tele with Ash body in Crimson Red Transparent finish as a trade-in.

So I went back there and tried it. And man, it was NICE!!!

But the asking price was little out of my range at $750 (didn't come with the new molded Fender OHSC, though---).

But it was NICE~!!!

So I traded in my Agile 3000 LP copy w/old Epi HSC +$477 cash, and it became mine!!!

And I'm telling you... It is NICE!!!

Considering that this very guitar is $1,420 at Musician's Friend (with the OHSC, though---) - BTW, what the heck is Fender doing with their CRAZY 09 pricing??? - , I keep telling myself that I got a good deal...

And NO, there's NO swimming pool under the PG on this!!! :)

It's my very first American made guitar, and I am quite happy with its playability, fit/finish, and tone.

On the way home, I stopped at a different place and picked up a really old Fender case (with very functional, but rusted metal parts) for $35.

So here are the mandatory HNGD pictures...

(Sorry this is not a HNEpiD---)

IMG_1765_1.jpg

Close-up of the Ash body with transparent finish.

IMG_1762_1.jpg

With that old old Fender case.

IMG_1769_1.jpg

I don't want to start any trouble as that is a very very sweet looking guitar. Congrats and enjoy the heck out of it.

But, (I could be wrong though and it really doesn't make a difference) is that a MIA standard or a MIA Highway1 Tele?

The reason I ask is that in the 1st photo, the finish looks to be more of a satin finish.

Either way, I'm jealous, I need to find a Tele to add to my arsenal and yours looks like it would fit the bill perfectly if it were a lefty.

HNGD.

Thanks guys!!!

Jeffery, I know how you feel about Fender. But there's something about Telecaster that's just so---, I don't know---, making my knee weak... :-kO:)

epinder, it is a American Standard (MIA Standard), NOT a MIA Highway 1.

I know the first pic looks kind of hazy, but it is because of my lousy photo/lighting skill---.

But if you take a look at the bridge, it is quite clear, for Highway 1 Tele has that vintage 3-saddle bridge.

This baby has one shiny glossy finish.

But the finish is really thin that you actually see and feel the grain. Fender's spec says they intentionally applied thin finish for better tone. I don't know if thin vs. thick finish makes any noticeable difference (I know people debated it to no end---).

But it does NOT have the "dip into plastic" like thick Epi finish that we see on Chinese Epi these days.

AS90: Are you sure this old case is a 70s case that's around £100 in the UK???

I thought Fender cases in 70s were tweed type, not this hard plastic???

I mean, if this is indeed 70s case, then I can some $ signs~!!! Cha-ching~!!![-X

Kain-tuck, you will most definately not be sorry you copped that SWEET lookin' Telecaster! Very versatile guitar. I should never have gotten rid of mine, I kick myself for such a stupid act. Very nice. They sound real nice clean, and punched, at least in my experience. Not to toot my own horn again, but if you go to the 'Click page in my sig, and scare up "Pale Rider", the rhythm guitar in that song is my old Telecaster, set to a mild crunch effect in my Zoom 505II. I'll see if I can post a picture of it, I think I still have one over at Picturetrail.

Kain-tuck' date=' you will most definately not be sorry you copped that SWEET lookin' Telecaster! --- Not to toot my own horn again, but if you go to the 'Click page in my sig, and scare up "Pale Rider", the rhythm guitar in that song is my old Telecaster, set to a mild crunch effect in my Zoom 505II.[/quote']

Kain-tuck---, man that's funny. So I guess you figured out I was in KY from my handle, right?? Yes, I lack some creativity when it comes to my handles... ](*,)O:)

I really enjoyed"Pale Rider." Did you use neck PUP on the Tele??? What did you use for the lead? Both rhythm and lead sounded great!!!

Bridge pickup through the entire song. I must confess though, that my Tele was heavily modded. Bridge pickup was a rail humbucker out of a Washburn Nuno Bettancourt Custom, and the lipstick was replaced with a Duncan design 'bucker that was rigged with a coiltap in the tonepot that was usually activated. I do have several songs that were done with it stock. Oh, by the way, mine was an affinity Squier that I bought for the sole purpose of modifying...but then, most of my guitars are. My Blue Bomber pictured below is so freikkin modified, the only thing Epi0phone on it now is the logo on the peghead. It's a...Gibiphone now. MWAH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Edit: Lead guitar was done with the Epiphone

Edit-edit: Thanky! I too think that tune came out pretty good!

Thanks guys! All 64 tunes are original, and there for your listening pleasure, so feel free to check 'em all anytime! But I digress, this is Kain-Tuck's thread, and I'm not gonna hijack it.

epinder' date='[/i'] it is a American Standard (MIA Standard), NOT a MIA Highway 1.

I know the first pic looks kind of hazy, but it is because of my lousy photo/lighting skill---.

But if you take a look at the bridge, it is quite clear, for Highway 1 Tele has that vintage 3-saddle bridge.

This baby has one shiny glossy finish.

But the finish is really thin that you actually see and feel the grain. Fender's spec says they intentionally applied thin finish for better tone. I don't know if thin vs. thick finish makes any noticeable difference (I know people debated it to no end---).

](*,) Like I said, that is one sweeeet lookin' guitar. I'd love to find the lefty twin to that Tele.

No need to apoligize for the photographic skills, mine are a lot worse than that. The photos came out nice.

O:) Like I said' date=' that is one sweeeet lookin' guitar. I'd love to find the lefty twin to that Tele.

No need to apoligize for the photographic skills, mine are a lot worse than that. The photos came out nice.[/quote']

Thanks buddy!!! Hope you will find your lefty twin to my Tele!! ](*,)

Thanks guys! All 64 tunes are original' date=' and there for your listening pleasure, so feel free to check 'em all anytime! But I digress, this is Kain-Tuck's thread, and I'm not gonna hijack it.[/quote']

Nah~, even though this is my HNGD thread, we all are music lovers. So I don't mind us talking about your tunes here at all!!! So no need to worry!!! O:)

Got a pretty good shot of the Telecaster, post-mod. I believe it was either a '99 or a '00 Affinity. That was when they were notorious for twisted necks, horrible fretwork, etc. My neck was perfect, although the frets needed a major massage. The bridge pickup had to be doctored up to fit the cavity for the stocker, woulda went right in a strat, but not the Tele. The neck position obviously had to be routed for the humbucker, and the scratchplate had to be adapted to the metric cut screwholes for the stocker. We used the old toothpick and elmo's glue trick, and redrilled them. Anyway, here he be, I used to call it Telly Savalas:

138799815.jpg

what a guitar! teles are great' date=' but certain colours dont go, think you've got the perfect colour combination there[/quote']

Thanks chewy and everyone for complementing its look!

When it comes to a Tele, my first choice has always been Ash-bodied, natural color or Ash-bodied butter scotch with maple board.

But those are color options for mostly upper end of Fender Teles that are waaaaaay out of my price range.

Like that 52 Re-issue... =D>

But of course, I couldn't be that picky with color when buying a used guitar.

However, this red transparent finish that's showing the beautiful grain of ash body is something I can definitely be happy about!!!

Archived