Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JesusOfSuburbia

So Cal 50H head

I'll have to try that out Michael, I just don't if my amp tech dude will want me standing there while he does it, LOL

Plus I know if I do it myself I'll probaly just "F" it all up or worse yet, stress that I did it wrong if I did get that far!!!

Glad to hear that you are digging the So Cal, I know I sure love it!!!

peace & tone,

JoS

Just wanted to post a pic of the new pedalboard, nuttin' fancy and I still need a pedal or 2 but it's workin' and soundin' great so far...

l_b2be112a5cb74d849a1f996d9ddb82f1a.jpg

And a shot of the amp onstage...

l_61c45b588cb44eb2acfca9b5cd0ffe64.jpg

Tube update:

I used a Tung Sol 12AX7 re-issue in the V2/gain channel slot for the gig Sat. night and while it sounded good the Tung Sol does the same thing in the So Cal as it did in my Cyber Twin, tone and breakup are nearly EXACTLY the same as the EH 12AX7's but without enough punchy bass response!!! Great tube but I had to turn the bass up on the amp even for my Les Paul which is usually 'bassy' enough on the So Cal. And it seemed a little less "punchy" on that channel with the Tung Sol, with the EH glass I don't have to 'dig in" as hard to get the punch from the amp. So I'm switching back to the EH in the slot.

peace & tone,

JoS

I changed the V2 tube from the Tung Sol back to an EH12AX7 screened for high gain, noise & microphonics: Triode 1-95, Triode 2-90.

Verdict: SOUNDS GREAT and the Punchy bass is back!!! I'd had a matched triode (90-90) EH in there but that little extra gain really makes a differance with the crunch, more smooth and 'tasty'!!!

So far the EH glass I have is really sounding great, so no more tube rolling anytime soon for me, but IF I try another power tube brand it will probably be the Winged C's from Svetlana, a couple real-life friends recommend them and I've seen many great reviews online.

Last night at an outdoor gig the So Cal sounded the best ever has, finally feeling I got a real handle on the head and looking forward to gigs ahead!!!

peace & tone,

JoS