Gibson Brands Forums

Removing the plastic ring around the selector switch

Dr. Rock

I use a buckknife to pry one edge loose....it's poly-finish for Pete's sake. Just be carefull and you're fine. Once you have an edge you can pinch, pull it off slow and gently. If you're lucky you'll take the layer of glue with it.

It's stuck on with some kind of adhesive...

I generally use a thin guitar pick to break it loose from the glue. After you get it off, use guitar polish or goo gone to clean the residue off. It's a tough glue, it will take some patience, both in removal Ana in cleaning it afterwards... Just resist the temptation to pry up on it before you can break the glue loose.

I was scared of the glue on my Gibson, because of the softer lacquer finish. However, Gibson apparently doesn't use the glue. I don't know why epi would if Gibson doesn't, you'd think one step eliminated would save cost, at least slightly.

I use a buckknife to pry one edge loose....it's poly-finish for Pete's sake. Just be carefull and you're fine. Once you have an edge you can pinch' date=' pull it off slow and gently. If you're lucky you'll take the layer of glue with it. [/quote']

LOL, a buck knife? All I can picture is Crocodile Dundee... "you call that a knife? THIS is a knife..."

Another way I've done it in the past if you don't care about saving the trim ring is to take the switch out completely (obviously) and use a small flat head screwdriver to pry it up from the inner edge, in the hole. You only need to get it a tiny bit under the edge, then pry it up to pop the glue loose... You'll ruin th ring this way though, and there is a high chance of slipping and gouging the finish. I don't recommend that method if you're nervous at all, but it does work. If you try that though, use EXTREME caution.

Archived