Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Japan '63 335 Block

skinzbaby

Hey all, new to the forum but I picked up a '63 335 block reissue in tobacco burst and was wondering if anybody has experience with this model? It's a 2000 with the gibson headstock, not an elite or elitist. Is it nitro or poly? It quite simply feels, looks, and plays much better than my 73 gibson 340 and other gibson 335 I've owned. When I search for this specific guitar I find nothing on it.

Thanks

Hey all' date=' new to the forum but I picked up a '63 335 block reissue in tobacco burst and was wondering if anybody has experience with this model? It's a 2000 with the gibson headstock, not an elite or elitist. Is it nitro or poly? It quite simply feels, looks, and plays much better than my 73 gibson 340 and other gibson 335 I've owned. When I search for this specific guitar I find nothing on it.

Thanks[/quote']

..Pictures would be nice

Does she look like this? where was she made?

limited.gif

=P~

Hey there Skinz, welcome aboard! It's probably an Epiphone Japan made for their market and not intended for export, kinda like the old Orvilles. It's most likely got a nitro finish..."LQ" they're called, very close to Gibson with the exc eption everythings metric. You used to be able to access Epiphone Japan through Epi's homepage, but for some reason, they don't anymore. Did you try googling Epiphone Japan? Mofo to navigate those Jap sites, but their still there.

Last time I had the patience to navigate over there, they had Les Paul Standards/Customs, obligatory SG's mostly '61's, 335's but all the ones I saw were Dots, and a B.B. King. I dunno, maybe it was something they didn't make a lot of... a "Limited Edition" maybe?

Pssst...if they did' date=' would anyone buy a Gibson for twice the price? :) [/quote']

Darn you JS there you go making good sense again. I guess I'm just frustrated becase everything I want seems to be in the Japaneese market these days.

I can't get the camera to focus on the f hole sticker but its orange and says:

Model No. '63 ES 335

Number: J0050##

Guaranteed

and

Made In Japan on the lower oval

also Stamped in wood Made In Japan back of headstock... photo coming

Very Nice Skinz. I have to say' date='...I'm a tad jealous....

default_eusa_wall.gif

Me too! God that's a fookin great-lookin (probably sounding too) guitar!!! WHY CAN'T THEY BUILD EM LIKE THIS FOR THE EUROPEAN/AMERICAN MARKET???!!!!!!! (hopefully some Epiphone 'bigbrother' will read this and change the whole Epiphone line-up)...

I mean hello? I bet Gibson has huge losses in Japan, cause everyone buys Epis over there (I know I would!!!)

JM

Yeah, the reason I posted was to see how many others have this model and are they all this good? A friend of mine also has one (cherry) and his is just as nice. The pickups have been switched in mine for Burstbuckers and I replaced the bridge with a Tonepros w/string saver saddles, but the tone of the guitar is astonishing. Hopefully they start making these again because I'll definately buy again.

Archived