Gibson Brands Forums

Just to inform you guys

Sean.BB

I don't disagree with what you say' date=' but dang, you seem real passionate about having backup gear.[/quote']

Well, moreso passionate against the bogus "reasons" and excuses for not bringing it... Sure, not everybody who is in a band and wants to play shows has the luxury of having 2 or 3 or 20 guitars like some of us older members, but still, we should be trying to instill in these younger players a sense of professionalism... Wether or not the Beatles had backup gear at their earliest pub shows (which is purely speculation, by the way), you can best bet that as soon as they moved up to even the level of working with a manager, they had at least one extra axe sitting offstage just in case. Try to think back to the last time you saw a professional touring band that had to stop a show to change a string... I seriously doubt you've ever seen it happen. I just saw Sevendust a few weeks ago, and Morgan Rose broke a crash cymbal practically in half mid-song. A tech had it replaced before the next chorus. Would you go to work as an auto mechanic with only one wrench? Guitars and amps are the tools of our trade, and it is just wrong to go to a gig (which is technically a job, in many respects) without the necessary tools to get the job done. I just feel that as a crowd member, I paid money to watch a band play music, not repair guitars. Or borrow them, for that matter. And trying to pass that laziness of not wanting to carry another guitar case in from the van off as "rock and roll attitude" is just irresponsible on our parts, and detrimental to the younger players coming here for advice to help their musical careers. Just because some of us may not have actually needed a backup lately, nobody should be saying that it's not a good idea to bring one to a show.

And yes, I tend to get all "soap boxy" about pretty much any issue I post about, LOL... Debating is in my nature.

Guest icantbuyafender

for the price the titanium ernie ball strings really do last. for my playing at least.

but I usually use ernie RPS's (reinforced plain strings).

I too had that problem.

for me its cause I learned to play/pick/strum over the bridge humbucker for rythm(lotsa strain on the saddle snapped em) and lean well into the 22nd fret/neck pickup on leads b/c it just worked for me.. busted at least the high e string like every two weeks at least.

meh, check the saddles and clean em up, throw a tusq on it and try the ernie RPS lime slinkys.

they helped me...:-k

I think im gonna stick to dean's but the funny thing is we had a back up guitar but are drummer didnt want it because it meant a friend had to come to the soundcheck and wait around because the guitar he was giving was in his sisters. He made him out to be a tag along.

my sherry always snapped strings mid-set, and my band mate's dot did the same, i just filed the saddles down a bit. must have had a rough edge somewhere, never snapped since.

although we always have a back up guitar and i have a million sets of strings in my bag.

dont scrimp on strings, dont scrimp on anything.

I think im gonna stick to dean's but the funny thing is we had a back up guitar but are drummer didnt want it because it meant a friend had to come to the soundcheck and wait around because the guitar he was giving was in his sisters. He made him out to be a tag along.

Bad form on your drummer's part then, those kind of "tag along" friends are the easiest to groom into willing and efficient (read: "free") roadies. A few friends who are willing to help carry and set up gear can be lifesavers, and should be cherished, not shooed, LOL!

Bad form on your drummer's part then' date=' those kind of "tag along" friends are the easiest to groom into willing and efficient (read: "free") roadies. A few friends who are willing to help carry and set up gear can be lifesavers, and should be cherished, not shooed, LOL![/quote']

No truer words were ever spoken, my friend. When you have friends like that start teaching them how to tune your guitars and change strings. When they continue to show interest, start showing them how to run the sound mixer and let them practice doing it at your practices or 'in-club' rehearsals.

I counted on these types of 'friends' for many years until I finally moved up to bands that could afford a real full-time roadie.

Archived