Gibson Brands Forums

just got my 56 goldtop

pickle311

I just got my 56 goldtop reissue in and man this thing is sweet. I have a couple of questions.

1. I intend on upgrading the electronics soon. I've had issues with the switches and pots on my other Epiphones in the past, so I'm just going to yank it all out and put in quality components. I've seen several wiring kits offered on the net, is there any particular kit that you guys recommend? I'm not changing the pups at this time, maybe later.

2. How do I find out if it's made in Korea or China?

Thanks

As far as 2) you can follow this link http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx input the sn# and it should tell you where and when. Depending on when it was made the sn# could read a couple of way most 08'sand before had 2 letters and a series of numbers; EE123456789 but Epiphone has started using new sn#'s that have dropped the letters at the beggining. Hope this helps,

mgm

If your are going to change out the P90's check out Dcooper830's youtube video posts. He changed his to SD P90's and even over headphones you can't tell the diference. He plays the same riffs in the same order before and after through the same amp. The P90's in the 56 goldtop sound great right out of the box.

If you search youtube for dcooper830 or 56 goldtop, you will find the video.

Yeah-think long and hard about swapping out the P90's. Epi's P90's are just fine. I've got Epi and Gibson 90's. I'll say that the Gib has more output-volumewise, but that's it. Tone's are very similar, responsivness is equal...maybe the volume would equalize w/ my Epi's pots and wiring being swapped out(it;s a Wildkat)-which is in the eventual future. But I will keep those stock P90's, unless gourmet P90's just happen to fall in my lap. But it isn't a pressing concern.

Epi-P90's = Well prepared Ribeye

Gibson P90's= Well prepared T Bone

I'm betting Kent Armstrong's or Lollars are the Filet Mingons....

Or something like that!

Congrats on ypur new GT. I haven't had any issues with the electronics in my GT. The only changes I made were the tuners, I put is a set of Grover Green Keystones, and I changed the pickups to Gibson minis. I tried on two guitars, but I'm just not a P-90 guy. I love the minis though.

1 more question. How do I know if I need long or short shaft pots without taking it apart. I want to order a wiring kit' date=' but don't feel like pulling a pot out to check. I will if I have to though.[/quote']

If you go with Mojo, you'll want this kit:

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/item.asp?pid=11710&pg=12388&id=2114384

and read the Note. There's a little more work to do and a little more money to spend.

I was wondering what the difference is in our goldtops? Mine was made in 2007, has cream binding, and the sides and back are a dark mahogany color. Yours looks like it has gold on the top and sides. I could not tell if the back did. Also, what year is your goldtop?

I was wondering what the difference is in our goldtops? Mine was made in 2007' date=' has cream binding, and the sides and back are a dark mahogany color. Yours looks like it has gold on the top and sides. I could not tell if the back did. Also, what year is your goldtop?[/quote']

I searched the serial and it showed that it was made in 06. Mine has an ivory lip on the sides then the rest and the back is all mahogany.

I also found a smoking deal on a Crate V33 and ordered it last night. It will get a host of mods and should have a killer sound when I'm done. I just couldn't pass up an all tube amp for $150. I'll probably have another $30 to $50 in it after the mods are done. The clips I've heard sound amazing and make it very hard to find anything close for the price. Now I need to find a small 1x12 cab.

I searched the serial and it showed that it was made in 06. Mine has an ivory lip on the sides then the rest and the back is all mahogany.

I guess I just couldn't see the binding in the pic but I sort of see the dark wood on the side now after looking at the pic again.

Archived