Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
viliroca

Supergrass using a Valve Junior Head+Cab

'nuff said - lets smoke a beer and fuggetaboutit... Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I wish I still had all my "stuff" I used to have but alas I don't. But when I close my eyes and jam at night in my spare bedroom "studio", on my budget rigs, I'm on stage again with a full Stack and my Black & Gold 68' Custom...

hehe - Mama went shopping so I'M FIXIN' TO CRANK UP! See ya' :-k

Geeezzzzzz! Stop already! Who gives a crap? Could you drive your point home even more? Sheesh.

Rude much? My point wasn't being taken, in case you hadn't noticed. Nobody forced you to read any of it. If you don't like it, change the channel.

'nuff said - lets smoke a beer and fuggetaboutit

That's cool. I'm always down for smoking a beer or 5. You remind me of a buddy of mine, though I don't think he regrets any of his past gear sales. His ex had showered him with lots of very nice gear over the years that they were married, and the divorce was bitter, so he couldn't wait to dump everything, and never looked back. He lost thousands and thousands selling it all off the way he did, but he didn't care. He did what made him happy at the time, and he's stuck with it. He now gigs a *gag* Line 6 thing. I'm TRYING to slap some sense into him, but it's been an uphill battle. He likes the convenience of grab and go, and the fact that he can get several different sounds out of the same box.

Modded valve JR tones....you be the judge....I think they sound pretty decent!

Lay, your clips were actually what got me started down this path myself. Really great sounding clips, man. You did a really nice job with those, and I thank you. I really have a hard time motivating myself to set up a mic and recording clips myself, even though I've promised clips to many, after finishing up my octal and baby will builds. One of these days...

M-theory I know where you are coming from...once you know what truly great tone is...you do become a snob...or at least expect that level of tone when someone sais "Great Tone". I have that disease too! The thing that's kind of ironic here is that we are all in agreement that valve jr's can produce great tones with a few tweaks. In stock form they can be a little flabby IMHO,but more importantly most of them are biased incorrectly and that should be addressed at the very least. There is nothing wrong with being serious about great tone and chasing it and I think some of you guys are missing his point's quite frankly. He never said that valve jr's can't produce great tones.......go back and read what he actually wrote! I would have to agree that 5 watts of power isn't enough for most pro level players to use on stage....but it certainly can work in a studio setting!

O:)

Uh...ok. I think I've already pretty much acknowledged this. Generally speaking' date=' however, serious players want serious tone, whether that comes from a $50 garage sale find or a $5,000 booteeky amp. Fact of life. Sorry.[/quote']

I don't even consider myself "serious" but I find myself getting caught up on tone. Sometimes I think maybe I spend more time in pursuit of "tone" than I spend actually playing! I think playing the guitar has become so common and accessible that advertisers have really cashed in and created this "is your tone everything it could be" mentality. Do the Fender SCN pickups in my Strat really retain the classic Strat sound? Of the one million pickups Seymour Duncan offers, did I pick the exact right ones for my Les Paul? Is the bypass in my Boss tuner pedal sucking tone? Should I be concerned that the EHX Small Stone Nano doesn't sound exactly like the vintage Russian-made model? Is the power from my 1Spot adapter "clean" enough? If I replaced my Sovket tubes with JJ's will it blow my socks off? Are my cables adequately shielded? Are the resistors in my amp high quality enough?

Whether you are serious about tone or not, at a certain point, you just have to shut up and play. There are plenty of serious musicians out there with stuff that is just "good enough." Or as my dad always puts it, "close enough for rock and roll." I wouldn't expect a serious musician to plink out a masterpiece on a PlaySkool xylophone but I wouldn't expect a serious musician to be held back much by a Valve Junior either... not that I'm a fan or anything.

"Whether you are serious about tone or not, at a certain point, you just have to shut up and play. There are plenty of serious musicians out there with stuff that is just "good enough." Or as my dad always puts it, "close enough for rock and roll." I wouldn't expect a serious musician to plink out a masterpiece on a PlaySkool xylophone but I wouldn't expect a serious musician to be held back much by a Valve Junior either... not that I'm a fan or anything. "

Probably the best advice in this thread so far! FZ was right! "Shut up and play yer guitar":-"

Very hard to not tinker, though, once you figure out how, and start to realize what even seemingly minute changes can do! I don't know that I'll ever go quite as far as a buddy of mine, who swaps pups, pup height, string gauges, wrap technique, bridges, bridge posts, saddles, nuts, pots, caps, etc. more often than I change underwear! But, when I hear an obvious deficiency, I can't let it go, when I know what to do to correct it. Why play sub-standard anything, when you know that it's sub-standard and you know how to fix it?

That said, there is indeed a time to tinker and a time to play. A guy almost needs to set aside specific days/times for rehearsal, because it's really easy to push it aside if you don't. One of my bands rehearses every Tuesday, and that means I have to woodshed sometime during the week or on the weekend. Another band I work with doesn't rehearse as regularly, but when we do, it's Wed., and again, I have to set aside woodshed time for that as well.

The toughest part is setting aside the time for MY rehearsal...not to work up other music for bands, but to work on MY stuff. Between the two working bands, a weekly jam band, recording, rehearsing, reading, and tinkering, it can be a helluva juggle at times. Oh yeah...there's a family in there somewhere, too!

I actually TRADED (not sold) my 1st Valve Junior modded head (Bitmo) for a Vox DA20 when they 1st came out. I thought it was a very nice little 2 speaker modeling amp. I found I spent more time fiddlin' with knobs than actually playing. I sold it and bought my current V3 VJ Combo. Nothing to really fiddle with - course I do hook it up with my Korg Toneworks pedal so then I start Fiddlin' again GRRRRRR. It really does seem to be an obsession - trying to find that "certain" tone you seem to have in yer head...

Amp sims are like that too - I just bought Overloud's TH1.1 (awesome) - also use Guitar Rig 3 and Amplitube 2 (along with a few others) and in my DAW have loads of effects, etc so Fiddlin' is usually the case there too - when I get tired of fiddlin' I play my 2 60's tube amps (or my naked VJ) - nothing but simple tube bliss... My 63' Acetone is my Avatar - it does have Tremolo and Reverb but I keep them preset to TEMOLO ZERO and REVERB on 3 usually.

Very hard to not tinker' date=' though, once you figure out how, and start to realize what even seemingly minute changes can do![/quote']

True. I was pretty into modding and building pedals for a while.

I actually TRADED (not sold) my 1st Valve Junior modded head (Bitmo) for a Vox DA20 when they 1st came out. I thought it was a very nice little 2 speaker modeling amp. I found I spent more time fiddlin' with knobs than actually playing. I sold it and bought my current V3 VJ Combo. Nothing to really fiddle with - course I do hook it up with my Korg Toneworks pedal so then I start Fiddlin' again GRRRRRR. It really does seem to be an obsession - trying to find that "certain" tone you seem to have in yer head...

Amp sims are like that too - I just bought Overloud's TH1.1 (awesome) - also use Guitar Rig 3 and Amplitube 2 (along with a few others) and in my DAW have loads of effects' date=' etc so Fiddlin' is usually the case there too - when I get tired of fiddlin' I play my 2 60's tube amps (or my naked VJ) - nothing but simple tube bliss... My 63' Acetone is my Avatar - it does have Tremolo and Reverb but I keep them preset to TEMOLO ZERO and REVERB on 3 usually.[/quote']

Hey how do you like that TH1.1....I herd it on a buddy's computer studio(very well respected player BTW) ...and some of the sounds not only impressed me but blew me away! I don't say that very often about models!